|East Carolina Pirates|
January 8, 1993 |
Latham, New York
|Bats: Right||Throws: Right|
Jeffrey Robert Hoffman (born January 8, 1993) is an American college baseball player. A pitcher, Hoffman plays for the East Carolina Pirates, representing East Carolina University. Named the best prospect in the Cape Cod Baseball League in 2013, he is expected to be among the top picks in the 2014 Major League Baseball Draft.
Hoffman attended Shaker High School in Latham, New York. He played for the school's baseball team as a pitcher. In his junior year, he pitched to a 7–0 win-loss record. He struggled to be noticed by Division I college baseball programs, as his fastball averaged 82 to 83 miles per hour (132–134 km/h). He pitched in Connie Mack Baseball during the offseason to attract attention from college programs, where his fastball reached 92 miles per hour (148 km/h). This led to his signing a letter of intent with East Carolina University, a Division I school in Conference USA. He threw a shutout to lead Shaker in the championship game in 2011, his senior year.
During his freshman year with the East Carolina Pirates baseball team in 2012, Hoffman started 10 of the 19 games in which he appeared, posting a 4–3 record, one save, a 3.67 earned run average (ERA), and struck out 55 batters in 72 2⁄3 innings pitched. East Carolina reached the National Collegiate Athletic Association Division I Baseball Tournament. That summer, he pitched for the Hyannis Harbor Hawks in the Cape Cod Baseball League (CCBL).
During the 2013 season, Hoffman was named to the All-Conference USA second team after pitching to a 6–7 record, a 3.20 ERA, leading the Pirates with 109 2⁄3 innings pitched and 84 strikeouts. He was added to the Golden Spikes Award watch list. Pitching for Hyannis again in the summer, he was named the CCBL's top prospect.
- "Riding to college on their arms". Times Union. May 1, 2011. Retrieved August 30, 2013.
- "Hoffman pitches in". Times Union. June 3, 2011. Retrieved August 30, 2013.
- Allen, James (July 8, 2012). "Cape Cod ball has area flavor". Times Union. Retrieved August 30, 2013.
- By ECU Media Relations. "Hoffman named CCBL Outstanding Pro Prospect". WNCT. Retrieved August 30, 2013.
- By ECU Media Relations. "Jeff Hoffman named to Golden Spikes watch list". WNCT. Retrieved August 30, 2013.
- Mayo, Jonathan (May 24, 2013). "Date set for 2014 First-Year Player Draft | MLB.com: News". Mlb.mlb.com. Retrieved August 30, 2013.
- Career statistics and player information from The Baseball Cube