||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2011)|
12 February 1984 |
|Occupation||Actor, comic and presenter|
Jeff Alexander Leach (born 12 February 1984) is an English actor, writer and comedian. He has also worked as a television and radio presenter with shows airing in the UK, USA, Australia and Europe, . He is most well known for hosting his own show Jeff Leach +1 on London Live and a number of shows for BBC Switch and BBC Three.
Jeff Leach was raised in London by his cockney engineer father and Romanian drama teacher mother. Educated at the John Lyon School for boys in Harrow he obtained a degree from the University of Warwick in English Literature and Theatre Studies. After university he worked in commercial radio and as a professional DJ performing at major UK and European festivals and releasing a number of remixes on Ministry of Sound and Island Records. After being discovered by a producer whilst performing at Bestival he screen tested for and secured the presenting job for one of BBC Switch's flagship shows entitled The Surgery on BBC Two. After presenting Scene Stealers for BBC Switch and T in the Park Festival for BBC Three Leach had a stint as presenter of Big Brother's Big Mouth on E4. During 2009–2012 he became the face of Virgin Media and their Music on Demand channel which saw him present each year from V Festival, provide comedy continuity links for all of the content on the channel and interview artists such as Lady Gaga, Example, Kelly Rowland and Professor Green.
Between 2010–2012 he was signed up by the UK branch of Current TV to present two series of their flagship show What Did I Do Last Night? in which the cameras followed the antics of young British people suffering from socially driven alcohol, sex and drug-related problems. Leach was also signed up by BBC One to present The National Lottery Draws. During this time he hosted other shows for Current TV including an exposé on the dangers of male escorting entitled Male Hookers Uncovered in which Leach became a male escort for the purposes of the immersive documentary. Broadcasters to pick up the film included BBC Three, ABC Australia, TVNZ New Zealand and Discovery TLC for Sweden, Norway and the Netherland. It was also acquired by MTV3 Finland, TV2 Denmark and TVN Poland. Following on from this he presented one more documentary about sex addiction for BBC Three called Confessions of a Sex Addict which also aired across a number of territories.
In 2014 London Live launched in the UK and Jeff became the presenter and executive producer of his own series called Jeff Leach +1. The programme explored the most alternative and creative night life on offer in London with Leach taking part in each of the events and meeting the people and performers behind them. During the series he performed a strip-tease on stage with the Dreamboys, took part in a Mexican wrestling match at Lucha Britannia and even took part in and won a rap battle at the Jump Off at Scala.
Stand Up and Film career
Leach began his stand up career in February 2010, performing on the UK comedy circuit and at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival. He was a finalist in the London New Comedian Award 2010, Laughing Horse New Act 2011 and a semi-finalist in the Leicester Square New Comedian 2011. He performed at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival in 2011 and 2012 with promoters Live Nation becoming a Top Ten Finalist in the Amused Moose Laugh Off Competition 2012. During that same year he signed a development deal with BBC Worldwide Consumer Products' Division owned DVD and distribution company 2Entertain.
In May 2014 Leach embarked on his debut solo comedy tour entitled 'Jeff Leach. FIT', performing across the UK, Guernsey, Romania, Serbia, Croatia and New York in various theatres with critical acclaim.
His first professional theatre work was with the Royal Shakespeare Company during the Complete Works of Shakespeare Festival season playing the lead in Lope de Vega's 'The Capulets and the Montagues'. In 2013 Jeff completed a role in short film Shop Girl Blog and played rocker Lenny in online comedy series The Chaos which amassed over 7 million views. During 2014 he played the role of Simon in Channel 4 show Hollyoaks and also He also played the role of Dean in feature length independent British gangster thriller film The Smoke directed by Ben Pickering which was released at the end of 2014. At the start of 2015 he played the main role in short film "Gerry's Garden" which was selected to be shown during the prestigious London Short Film Festival and won a comedy award on the industry website Shooting People.
During his early career in radio Leach provided voice work for BBC Radio 1's Scott Mills Drive-time, Xfm's Lauren Laverne show and Tim Shaw's Asylum on Kerrang! Radio. He was also a station producer for GCAP Media station Mercia FM whilst at university. For two years he hosted a comedy podcast for Total Rock Radio and currently hosts his own weekly comedy show on Soho Radio.
As a voice-over artist he has featured on major campaigns for Citroën, SEGA and The Creative Assembly including work on video game titles such as The Order: 1886 and the upcoming release in the Total War series.
- The Surgery and Scene Stealers – BBC Two (2008)
- T in the Park – BBC Three (2008)
- Virgin Music on Demand – Virgin TV (2008–2012)
- Big Brother's Big Mouth – E4 (2008)
- What Did I Do Last Night? (Series 1) – Current TV (2010)
- What Did I Do Last Night? (Series 2) – Current TV (2011)
- Male Hookers Uncovered – Current TV (2011)
- Wasted Britain – Current TV (2011)
- The National Lottery Draws – BBC One (2011–2012)
- Confessions of a Sex Addict – BBC Three (2012)
- "BUG" – BFI Southbank (2014)
- "Jeff Leach +1" – London Live (2014)
Credits (as himself)
- Celebrity Scissorhands – BBC Three (2008)
- Most Annoying People of 2009 – BBC Three (2009)
- The Noughties... Was That It? – BBC Three (2009)
- Most Annoying People of 2010 – BBC Three (2010)
- Most Annoying People of 2011 – BBC Three (2011)
- Big Brother – Channel 5 (2012)
- Britain in Bed – Channel 5 (2012)
- The Wright Stuff – Channel 5 (2012)
- Live With Gabby – Channel 5 (2012)
- The Vanessa Show – Channel 5 (2012)
- This Morning – ITV (2012)
- Britain's Funniest Comedy Characters – Channel 5 (2012)
- Big Brother's Bit on the Side – Channel 5 (2011–2013)
- Fake Reaction – ITV2 (2013)
- "Dynamo's Top Ten" – UKTV (2014)
- Get Lucky – Sexy Jesus (short 2012)
- The Chaos – Lenny Love (television 2013)
- ShopGirl Blog – Lucas (short 2013)
- Hollyoaks – Simon (television 2014)
- Gutpunch – Elliot (short 2014)
- "Gerry's Garden" – Hipster/Cat (short 2014)
- "Trust" – Drew Fides (short 2014)
- Two Days in the Smoke – Dean (feature 2014)
- In With the Outlaws – Elvis Macbeth (feature 2015)
- "Daily Telegraph Critic's Choice 'Pick of the Fringe" (2011)
- "Laughing Horse New Comedian Award Semi-finalist" (2011)
- "Leicester Square New Comedian Award Semi-finalist" (2011)
- "London New Comedian Awards Finalist" (2010)
Jeff became an Ambassador for drugs education charity Angelus Foundation after losing one of his best friends, Louise Cattell, to the club drug ketamine. He also works with various cancer charities as his mother suffered from the illness when he was a teenager. He is also a child sponsor and regular supporter of Act!on Aid children's charity.
- "BBC - Switch The Surgery on TV - Meet Jeff Leach".
- "PromaxBDA Names Finalists for 2014 Europe Awards".
- "BUG 42 on Thursday April 24th -100th BUG at the BFI Southbank, with guest host Jeff Leach". Promo News.
- "REVIEW: Jeff Leach at Norden Farm".
- "Joker Jeff finds his strong inner woman".
- dextersmith71 (4 October 2014). "The Smoke (2014)". IMDb.
- "iTunes - Podcasts - Jeff Leach on TotalRock by TotalRock". iTunes.
- "Jeff Leach". Soho Radio London.
- "Angelus Foundation - AMBASSADORS".