Jeff Lindsay (writer)
Jeff Lindsay at the 2013 Texas Book Festival.
|Born||Jeffry P. Freundlich
July 14, 1952
Miami, Florida, United States
|Pen name||Jeffry P. Lindsay, Jeff Lindsay|
|Alma mater||Middlebury College|
|Notable works||Dexter series|
Jeff Lindsay is the pen name of American playwright and crime novelist Jeffry P. Freundlich (born July 14, 1952), best known for his novels about sociopathic vigilante Dexter Morgan. Many of his earlier published works include his wife Hilary Hemingway as a co-author. His wife is the niece of Ernest Hemingway and an author in her own right. Lindsay was born in Miami and graduated from Ransom Everglades School in 1970, and from Middlebury College, Vermont, in 1975.
The first book in the Dexter series, Darkly Dreaming Dexter (which Lindsay wanted to name "Pinocchio Bleeds" after his middle daughter suggested it but his publisher disagreed) was included on the original nomination list for the Mystery Writers of America's Edgar Awards in the Best First Novel category. However, it was dropped from the list after the group learned that Lindsay had put out several books in the 1990s under another pen name, Jeffrey P. Lindsay.
Dexter aired as a 2006 TV series on Showtime with the first season based on Darkly Dreaming Dexter. The second and third seasons, aired in 2007 and 2008, respectively, have original storylines that do not follow the plots of Lindsay's books. On October 21, 2008, Showtime renewed the series for a fourth and fifth season, each consisting of 12 episodes. On November 18, 2011, it was announced that Dexter had been renewed for a seventh and eight season. Lindsay had a cameo role in the tenth episode of the third season of Dexter.
Lindsay is also writing a comic book version of Dexter distributed by Marvel comics.
- Hunting with Hemingway: Based on the Stories of Leicester Hemingway (2000)
- Tropical Depression: A Novel of Suspense (1994)
- Dream Land: A Novel of the UFO Coverup (1995)
- Time Blender (1997)
- Dreamchild (1998)
- Darkly Dreaming Dexter (2004)
- Dearly Devoted Dexter (2005)
- Dexter in the Dark (2007)
- Dexter by Design (2009)
- Dexter Is Delicious (2010)
- Double Dexter (2011)
- Dexter's Final Cut (2013)
- "Dexter Crew". Showtime's Official Dexter Site. August 21, 2009.
- "Author's Collection Donated to College". Rutlandherald.com. September 29, 2007. Retrieved 2007-09-30.
- "'Dexter's Final Cut' by Jeff Lindsay Coming In September". Dexter Daily. March 14, 2013. Retrieved April 12, 2013.
- Associated Press (2007-08-28). "Creating a serial killer who kills other killers". CNN. Archived from the original on September 3, 2007. Retrieved 2012-12-25.
- AAP (2009-03-02). "Delicious Dexter to bite into cannibalism". Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 2012-12-25.