Jeff Phelps is a Cleveland, Ohio sportscaster who currently works as the television pregame/postgame host for Cleveland Cavaliers telecasts on Fox Sports Ohio, the pregame/postgame host for Cleveland Browns radio broadcasts, and is a midday co-host on WKRK-FM (92.3 The Fan) in Cleveland.
A native of Akron, Ohio and graduate of Kent State University (Class of 1982), Phelps began his broadcasting career in Akron on co-owned WAKR AM 1590 and WAKR-TV 23 as a sports reporter. He then had a five year stint as a sportscaster on KJAC in Beaumont, Texas.
In 1988, Phelps became a sports reporter and weekend sports anchor for WUAB channel 43 in Cleveland on the 10 O'Clock News, as well as WOIO channel 19 after it had become WUAB's sister station, eventually becoming the weeknight sports anchor for both stations. In 1994, Phelps was recognized for his work by the National Sportscasters and Sportswriters Association (NSSA) and named the 1994 Ohio Sportscaster of the Year.
In 2003, Phelps then moved to Fox Sports Ohio where he became the pregame and postgame host for Cleveland Cavaliers telecasts. He also is a play by play announcer for high school football telecasts on the network as well as the host/producer of the classic car focused show Cruise-In. Phelps' duties on Fox Sports Ohio also have included at various points hosting Cleveland Indians, Cleveland Browns, and Ohio State Buckeyes pregame and postgame shows.
In 2011, the CBS Radio owned WKRK-FM 92.3 switched to a sports talk format. Upon the switch, Phelps then became the co-host for the midday Baskin & Phelps program, alongside WEWS-TV 5 sports director Andy Baskin. Phelps continues his Fox Sports Ohio work along with his radio duties.
In 2013, following WKRK-FM becoming one of the flagship stations for the Cleveland Browns, Phelps became part of the Browns Radio Network gameday broadcast team, hosting the network pregame and postgame shows.
- Three-time Lower Great Lakes Emmy Awards recipient (1991, 1993, 1999)
- 1994 Ohio Sportscaster of the Year, presented by NSSA
Phelps currently lives in Medina, Ohio with his wife and three children.
- Announcing 2012-13 Cleveland Cavaliers TV Coverage
- Baskin & Phelps « CBS Cleveland
- KSU athletics spends Friday unveiling building and scholarship initiatives - Top Stories - Ohio
- "State Winners: Ohio". NSSAFame.com. NSSA. 2013. Retrieved May 24, 2013.
- Fans will have plenty of chances to see Cavs - morningjournal.com
- Jeff Phelps « CBS Cleveland
- FMQB: Radio Industry News, Music Industry Updates, Arbitron Ratings, Music News and more!
- Feran, Tom (June 9, 1991). "WKYC is tops again in Local Emmy competition". The Plain Dealer. p. 12B — Metro & State. "Other winners were: ... Sports reporting: 'Whoop-De-Do Sports Review', Jeff Phelps, WUAB..."
- Feran, Tom (June 6, 1993). "Carl Monday of TV-8, WKYC top Local Emmys". The Plain Dealer. p. 10B — Metro. "Other winners were: ... Sports reporting: 'Whoop-De-Do Sports Review', Jeff Phelps , WUAB..."
- "Indianapolis TV station dominates Emmys". The Plain Dealer. June 13, 1999. p. 2B — Metro. "The winners: ... Sports Stories: 'Indians Roster Review', WUAB, Jeff Phelps..."