Jeff Shantz (author)
His books Active Anarchy: Political Practice in Contemporary Movements (Lexington, 2011) and Constructive Anarchy: Building Infrastructures of Resistance (Ashgate, 2010) offer an autoethnographic analysis of anarchist participation within contemporary social movements. Using various case studies of groups building what he terms "infrastructures of resistance", he compares anarchist involvement in rank-and-file workplace organizing, migrant defense, free schools, new media collectives, and community centers.
Shantz is a faculty member in the Department of Criminology at Kwantlen Polytechnic University and has taught courses in critical criminology, elite deviance, corporate crime and the Olympics, as well as community advocacy and human rights. He received a B.A. (Honours) in Psychology from Queen’s University (1989), a Post-Baccalaureate Diploma in Social Policy Issues from Simon Fraser University (1991), an M.A. in Sociology from the University of Windsor (1995), and a Ph.D. in Sociology from York University (2006).
He is the author of several books, and has published over 75 articles, book chapters and book reviews, in academic or refereed publications.
Meanwhile, he has been frequent contributor to many different movement 'zines and journal publications including: Anarchy, Social Anarchism, Green Anarchy, Earth First! Journal, Northeastern Anarchist, the Industrial Worker, Anarcho-Syndicalist Review, Onward, Arsenal and Processed World.
2013. (with Dana Williams) Anarchy & Society: Reflections on Anarchist Sociology. Hardcover: Leiden, Netherlands: Brill. ISBN 9789004214965 and in paperback (Aug. 2014) from Haymarket Books (Chicago) ISBN 978-1608463848
2012. Green Syndicalism: an alternative red/green vision. Syracuse, NY: Syracuse University Press. ISBN 978-0-8156-3307-5
2012. Crime, Punishment, Power: Sociological Explanations. Dubuque, IA: Kendall Hunt Publishing Co. ISBN 978-0-7575-9791-6
2011. Active Anarchy: Political Practice in Contemporary Movements. Lanham, MD: Lexington Books. ISBN Cloth 0-7391-6613-1 / 978-0-7391-6613-0
2011. Against All Authority: Anarchism and the Literary Imagination. Exeter, UK: Imprint Academic. ISBN 978-1-84540-237-2
2010. Constructive Anarchy: Building Infrastructures of Resistance. London, UK: Ashgate. ISBN 978-1-4094-0402-6
Books Edited, Collected Works
2013. (with José Brendan Macdonald) Beyond Capitalism: Building Democratic Alternatives for Today and the Future. New York: Bloomsbury Academic. ISBN 978-1-62356-797-2
2012. Protest and Punishment: The Repression of Resistance in the Era of Neoliberal Globalization. Durham, N.C: Carolina Academic Press. ISBN 978-1-61163-088-6
2011. Law Against Liberty: The Criminalization of Dissent. Lake Mary, Florida: Vandeplas Publishing. ISBN 978-1-60042-139-6
2010. A Creative Passion: Anarchism and Culture. Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom: Cambridge Scholars Press. ISBN 1-4438-2334-1
2010. Racism and Borders: Representation, Repression, Resistance. New York: Algora Publishing. ISBN 978-0-87586-807-3
2010. Racial Profiling and Borders: International, Interdisciplinary Perspectives. Lake Mary, Florida: Vandeplas Publishing. ISBN 978-1-60042-102-0
- Burrows, Matthew (April 28, 2011). "Criminology professor’s students "dig the dirt" on South Fraser Perimeter Road". The Georgia Strait - straight.com. Retrieved 2013-08-08.
- Shantz, Jeff (2010). "Olympic Challenge: Indigenous Women, 'No to 2010' and the Emergence of a New Movement". New Politics XII (2): 73–78. Retrieved 4 September 2011.
- http://www.kwantlen.bc.ca/socialsciences/criminology/faculty_listing.html | Criminology Department, Faculty of Social Sciences, Kwantlen Polytechnic University
- http://vandeplaspublishing.com/store/product.php?productid=112 - Racial Profiling and Borders: International, Interdisciplinary Perspectives
- http://www.algora.com/333/book/details.html - Racism and Borders: Representation, Repression, Resistance
- http://www.c-s-p.org/Flyers/A-Creative-Passion--Anarchism-and-Culture1-4438-2334-1.htm - A Creative Passion: Anarchism and Culture
- http://www.ashgate.com/isbn/9781409404026 - Constructive Anarchy: Building Infrastructures of Resistance
- http://www.lexingtonbooks.com/Catalog/Singlebook.shtml?command=search&db=^DB\Catalog.db&eqSKUdatarq=0739166131 - Active Anarchy: Political Practice in Contemporary Movements
- http://www.booksonix.com/scripts/imprint/hfclient.isa?A=booksonix_imprint_bookshop&L=0O1308385661&RQ=2335877&F=form&AS=FIND%7CPS%7CForthcoming%7CAND%7CRS%7CA – Against All Authority: Anarchism and the Literary Imagination