Jefferson County, Idaho
|Jefferson County, Idaho|
Location in the state of Idaho
Idaho's location in the U.S.
|Founded||February 18, 1913|
|Named for||Thomas Jefferson|
|• Total||1,106 sq mi (2,865 km2)|
|• Land||1,094 sq mi (2,833 km2)|
|• Water||12 sq mi (31 km2), 1.1%|
|• Density||24/sq mi (9/km²)|
|Time zone||Mountain: UTC-7/-6|
Jefferson County is a county located in the U.S. state of Idaho. As of the 2010 census, the population was 26,140. The county seat and largest city is Rigby. The county was established in 1913 and named after Thomas Jefferson, the third U.S. President.
- Clark County - north
- Fremont County - northeast
- Madison County - east
- Bonneville County - south
- Bingham County - southwest
- Butte County - west
National protected area
As of the census of 2000, there were 19,155 people, 5,901 households, and 4,880 families residing in the county. The population density was 18 people per square mile (7/km²). There were 6,287 housing units at an average density of 6 per square mile (2/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 90.87% White, 0.28% Black or African American, 0.46% Native American, 0.23% Asian, 0.08% Pacific Islander, 6.76% from other races, and 1.33% from two or more races. 9.96% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race. 32.7 were of English, 10.9% German and 9.2% American ancestry according to Census 2000.
There were 5,901 households out of which 47.60% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 72.60% were married couples living together, 6.80% had a female householder with no husband present, and 17.30% were non-families. 15.20% of all households were made up of individuals and 7.40% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 3.23 and the average family size was 3.62.
In the county the population was spread out with 36.30% under the age of 18, 9.60% from 18 to 24, 25.50% from 25 to 44, 19.30% from 45 to 64, and 9.30% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 29 years. For every 100 females there were 102.20 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 101.00 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $37,737, and the median income for a family was $41,530. Males had a median income of $31,298 versus $19,755 for females. The per capita income for the county was $13,838. About 8.00% of families and 10.40% of the population were below the poverty line, including 13.00% of those under age 18 and 8.70% of those age 65 or over.
Jefferson County is a traditionally Republican and conservative county. The last Democrat who carried the county in a presidential election was Truman in 1948. In 2012 President Obama received just 11.4% of the vote. In the 1972 Presidential election Richard Nixon won the county with then John Birch Society member John G. Schmitz reportedly receiving 27.51% of the county's vote. No Democratic candidate has received more than 20% of the county's vote since, at latest, 1988.
Notable natives and residents
- Earl W. Bascom, rodeo champion, cowboy artist, inventor, National Rodeo Hall of Fame inductee, "father of modern rodeo"
- Philo Farnsworth, American inventor and television pioneer.
- "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved June 30, 2014.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "Jefferson County". State of Idaho. Retrieved 2009-05-31.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "U.S. Decennial Census". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved June 30, 2014.
- "Historical Census Browser". University of Virginia Library. Retrieved June 30, 2014.
- "Population of Counties by Decennial Census: 1900 to 1990". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved June 30, 2014.
- "Census 2000 PHC-T-4. Ranking Tables for Counties: 1990 and 2000" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. Retrieved June 30, 2014.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- David Leip's Presidential Election Atlas - 1972 statistics
- The New York Times Electoral Map (Zoom in on Idaho)
||Clark County||Fremont County|
|Butte County||Madison County|
|Bingham County||Bonneville County|