Jefferson County, Wisconsin
|Jefferson County, Wisconsin|
Jefferson County courthouse
Location in the state of Wisconsin
Wisconsin's location in the U.S.
|Named for||Jefferson County, New York|
|• Total||583 sq mi (1,510 km2)|
|• Land||556 sq mi (1,440 km2)|
|• Water||26 sq mi (67 km2), 4.5%|
|• Density||150/sq mi (58/km²)|
|Time zone||Central: UTC-6/-5|
Jefferson County was named after Jefferson County, New York, where some of the original settlers of the county originated. Correspondingly the town of Watertown, Wisconsin was named after the town of Watertown, New York, which is located in Jefferson County, New York.
- Dodge County - north
- Waukesha County - east
- Walworth County - southeast
- Rock County - southwest
- Dane County - west
As of the census of 2010, there were 83,686 people, 32,117 households, and 21,872 families residing in the county. The population density was 133 people per square mile (51/km²). There were 30,092 housing units at an average density of 54 per square mile (21/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 96.34% White, 0.28% Black or African American, 0.34% Native American, 0.45% Asian, 0.02% Pacific Islander, 1.65% from other races, and 0.93% from two or more races. 4.09% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race. 55.1% were of German, 6.1% Norwegian, 6.0% Irish and 5.1% American ancestry according to Census 2000.
There were 28,205 households out of which 33.20% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 58.50% were married couples living together, 8.20% had a female householder with no husband present, and 29.50% were non-families. 23.60% of all households were made up of individuals and 9.60% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.55 and the average family size was 3.02.
In the county, the population was spread out with 25.20% under the age of 18, 8.50% from 18 to 24, 30.40% from 25 to 44, 23.20% from 45 to 64, and 12.60% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 37 years. For every 100 females there were 98.40 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 96.80 males.
The County Board of Supervisors, with 30 members, serves as the legislative body for the county. There are seven elected officials in addition to the County Board of Supervisors. County-wide partisan elections are held in November. The County Board's members are elected for two-year terms during a spring non-partisan election. The County Board is responsible for the county administrator.[clarification needed] The County Board elects a chairman, vice-chairman, and second vice-chairman.
Cities, villages, and towns
- Cambridge (mostly in Dane County)
- Cold Spring
- Fort Atkinson
- Jefferson (town)
- Johnson Creek
- Lac La Belle (mostly in Waukesha County)
- Lake Mills
- Lake Mills (town)
- Palmyra (town)
- Sullivan (town)
- Waterloo (town)
- Watertown (partly in Dodge County)
- Watertown (town)
- Whitewater (mostly in Walworth County)
- Blackhawk Island
- Cold Spring
- Glenn Oaks Beach
- Heath Mills
- Hoopers Mill
- Jefferson Junction
- Koshkonong (partial)
- Koshkonong Manor
- Koshkonong Mounds
- Lake Koshkonong
- Lake Lac La Belle
- Lake Ripley
- London (partial)
- North Shore
- Portland (partial)
- Sylvan Mounds
- Vinnie Ha Ha
- "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved January 21, 2014.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "Term: Jefferson County [origin of place name]" in Dictionary of Wisconsin History.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "U.S. Decennial Census". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved January 21, 2014.
- "Historical Census Browser". University of Virginia Library. Retrieved January 21, 2014.
- "Population of Counties by Decennial Census: 1900 to 1990". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved January 21, 2014.
- "Census 2000 PHC-T-4. Ranking Tables for Counties: 1990 and 2000". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved January 21, 2014.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2011-05-14.
|Dane County||Waukesha County|
|Rock County||Walworth County|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jefferson County, Wisconsin.|