|This page reads like a news release, or is otherwise written in an overly promotional tone. (December 2013)|
Jefferson Winston Hack (born 20 June 1971 in Montevideo, Uruguay) is the editorial director and publisher of Dazed Group and creative director of MAD Agency London and influential website Nowness. His pioneering work over the past 20 years, co-founding iconic magazines Dazed & Confused, AnOther Magazine, Another Man, and subsequently Dazed Digital and Anothermag.com, have seen him constantly innovate the cutting edge of journalism, film, photography, television and digital media.
In 1991 at the age of 19 he founded Dazed & Confused with photographer Rankin, while a student at London College of Printing. Early cover stars profiled by Hack included Björk (who in July 2011 was the special guest editor of the landmark 200th issue), Thom Yorke, David Bowie and countless influential iconoclasts, all of whom have continued to support and contribute to Dazed over the magazine’s celebrated two decades of independent thinking.
Read by over 500,000 worldwide style leaders a month, with a creative history and cultural heritage like no other, Dazed & Confused is today the most influential and successful independent magazine title on the planet, with Hack at the helm.
It was in 2001 that Hack and Rankin launched luxury biannual AnOther Magazine, followed by Another Man in 2005, the single definitive guide to men’s fashion, luxury and culture, with Hack as Editor in Chief of both. He has recently interviewed Madonna for Dazed & Confused, Ai Wei Wei, Patti Smith and Mia Farrow for AnOther Magazine and Hugh Hefner for Another Man.
Embracing new approaches to digital innovation, in 2006 Hack and Rankin launched Dazed Digital, a fiercely independent network delivering daily exclusives in fashion, film, music and art that is currently the most powerful online style magazine with a daily audience of over 350,000 and a social network platform that dominates the market.
In 2009 Hack followed suit with Anothermag.com, offering a unique blend of high fashion and world-class photography with features on the arts, politics and literature, as well as the highly addictive AnOther Loves section – a luxury product recommendation stream handpicked by a global network of contributors.
2012 raised the bar even higher, marking the launch of MAD Agency London: a creative consultancy with a boutique approach to the ideation of premium advertising for print, outdoor and digital campaigns. Founded by Hack, MAD Agency London has access to an unrivalled network of world-class art directors and creative talents, and delivers unique and focused campaign strategies for global brands. Portfolio highlights to date include rag & bone’s A/W13 campaign lensed by Glen Luchford on 35mm and 16mm film, and starring American actor Michael Pitt and Palme d'Or winning French actress Lea Seydoux; the debut campaign for leading British designer J.W.Anderson; and campaigns for the historic two-season Diesel+Edun collaboration.
Spring 2012 also saw Hack add another string to his creative bow with the inaugural Tod’s No_Code collection – a unique collaboration with the Italian heritage brand Tod’s. Available worldwide as part of Tod’s main line, the forward-thinking capsule shoe collection for both men and women offers a contemporary twist on classics and embodies the cutting-edge lifestyle of Hack himself.
In 2013 Hack launched Dazed White Label: the creative agency wing of Dazed Group that specializes in making digital, video, print, events and social media for brands. On November 18, 2013, Hack also launched Dazed Vision as the video arm of Dazed Group. Strategizing, developing, producing and commissioning long form ad series based video content.
A snapshot of the last year alone supports Hack’s reputation as a cultural game changer. As he continues to inspire and innovate, Jefferson Hack remains one of the leading influencers of our time.
- 1991–Present: Co-founder of Dazed & Confused
- 2001–Present: Co-founder of AnOther Magazine
- 2005–Present: Co-founder of Another Man
- 2006–Present: Co-founder of Dazed Digital
- 2009–Present: Co-founder of AnOthermag.com
- 2010–Present: Creative Director of Nowness
- 2012–Present: Co-founder and Creative Director of MAD Agency London
- 2012–Present: Creative Consultant of Tod’s No_Code, part of Tod’s mainline
- 2013–Present: Founder of Dazed White Label
- 2013–Present: Founder of Dazed Vision
Hack was born in Uruguay and educated at Pangbourne College. He lived for much of his childhood and teenage years in Cliffsend. He is also the ex-boyfriend of Kate Moss and father of their daughter Lila Grace Moss Hack. He lives in east London.
- Star Culture, The Dazed and Confused Collected Interviews, Mark Sanders, Jefferson Hack. Phaidon Press Ltd., 2000. ISBN 0714839558
- RankinWorks, Kate Moss, Oliviero Toscani, Liz Farrelly and Jefferson Hack, Booth-Clibborn Editions, 2002. ISBN 1861541619
- Another Fashion Book, Jefferson Hack. Steidl, 2009. ISBN 386521729X
- Another Art Book, Jefferson Hack. Steidl, 2011. ISBN 3865218601
- Dazed and Confused: Making It Up As We Go Along, Ingrid Sischy, Jefferson Hack, Rankin and Jo-Ann Furniss. Rizzoli International Publications, 2012. ISBN 0847836924
- Kate: The Kate Moss Book, Kate Moss, Fabien Baron, Jess Hallett, Jefferson Hack. Rizzoli International Publications, 2012. ISBN 0847837904
- What's Next? - The Future of the Photography Museum - Curators: Lauren Cornell, Jefferson Hack, Erik Kessels, Alison Nordström. FOAM, 5 November – 7 December 2011.
- 20 Years of Dazed & Confused Magazine: Making it Up As We Go Along Curators: Jefferson Hack, Emma Reeves. Somerset House, 4 November 2011 – 29 January 2012
|This article has not been added to any categories. Please help out by adding categories to it so that it can be listed with similar articles. (December 2013)|