Jefferson High School (Daly City, California)
|Jefferson High School|
|6996 Mission Street
Daly City, California, 94014
|School district||Jefferson Union High School District|
|Number of students||1,302 (2007–8)|
Jefferson High School is an American public high school in Daly City, California, United States, and is the first school in the Jefferson Union High School District (JUHSD). Jefferson serves Daly City, Brisbane, and the town of Colma.
Daly City residents who formerly had to send their children to San Francisco high schools because of a lack of a local alternative, voted into existence the JUHSD in 1922. This resulted in the formation of Jefferson High School.
Jefferson High School (JHS) opened in 1922 to its first 50 students using the old Jefferson Hall (previously Jefferson Elementary School) near San Pedro Road and Hill Street. Recognizing the need for a more suitable campus to accommodate the rapidly expanding student body, JUHSD residents voted to build a new campus at the current location in 1923.
The first building was finished in 1925. Subsequently, this building was demolished and replaced in 1963.
In 2005, Jefferson undertook to renovate and remodel the campus.
The following co-curricular clubs are hosted at Jefferson High School to complement the regular school curriculum:
- ASB (student government)
- Band Color Guard
- Color Guard
- Close Up (trip)
- Club Jeff
- Anime Club
- Environmental Club
- Gifted and talented programmes
- Gay-Straight Alliance
- Home and Garden
- Latin Heritage
- Mission Fusion
- Mock Trial
- Peer Assistance
- Sojourn to the Past
- Trading Post
The Tom-Tom is Jefferson's student newspaper and is published quarterly, usually in November, February, April and June. It includes full color on the front, back and center-spread pages. The various sections include news, opinion, sports, features, health, technology and arts and entertainment.
The newspaper regularly participates in and has received awards in local (Peninsula Press Club), state (Journalism Education Association of Northern California) and national (Journalism Education Association/NSPA) conferences and competitions.
The newspaper is written and edited by students in the Journalism I, II and III course, which is designed to focus on advanced writing skills for students who wish to either pursue a career in journalism or to build upon their existing skills.
In direct alignment with Jefferson High School’s determination to create a more literate and literary-loving community, this course not only encourages students to write and voice their opinions, but spurs others to read by producing a quality newspaper. The mission of the Jefferson High School newspaper is to inform, educate and entertain the readers — students, teachers, parents, members of the community — about issues that affect the students as well as the citizens of Daly City and the nation.
Jefferson provides the following sports programs depending on the season:
- Fall / winter : American football, volleyball, basketball, soccer, cheerleading, cross country running
- Spring : badminton, baseball, softball, swimming, track
- Tony Compagno, NFL player
- E. Floyd Kvamme, 1955. Partner, Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers. Co-chair, President's Council of Advisors on Science and Technology.
- John Madden, 1954. NFL Hall of Fame coach, player, commentator.
- Edwin Mulitalo, 1992. NFL player, Super Bowl XXXV Champion-Baltimore Ravens
- Ken Reitz, 1969. MLB player.
- Richard Rodgers, 1980. University of California Berkeley player, only player to handle the ball twice during The Play in the 1982 Big Game between Cal and Stanford.
- "California Department of Education - DataQuest". Retrieved 15 October 2008.
- "Historical Items". Jefferson High School Alumni Boosters. 27 August 2003. Retrieved 15 October 2008.
- "Classes 1950–1959". Retrieved 15 October 2008.
- Jefferson High School website
- JUHSD website
- Alumni website
- Class of '78 30-Year Reunion site
- Great Schools profile on Jefferson HS
- California Department of Education - DataQuest report for parents