Jefferson Township, Ashtabula County, Ohio
|Jefferson Township, Ohio|
Municipalities and townships of Ashtabula County
|• Total||25.9 sq mi (67.0 km2)|
|• Land||25.8 sq mi (66.7 km2)|
|• Water||0.1 sq mi (0.3 km2)|
|Elevation||906 ft (276 m)|
|• Density||204/sq mi (78.8/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1085729|
Jefferson Township is one of the twenty-seven townships of Ashtabula County, Ohio, United States. The 2010 census found 5,252 people in the township, 2,132 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in the central part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Plymouth Township - north
- Sheffield Township - northeast corner
- Denmark Township - east
- Dorset Township - southeast corner
- Lenox Township - south
- Morgan Township - southwest corner
- Austinburg Township - west
- Saybrook Township - northwest corner
Name and history
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees. Currently, the board is composed of chairwoman Charlene Kusar and members Martha Demshar and John Wayman.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Jefferson township, Ashtabula County, Ohio". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved July 9, 2013.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- Ashtabula County, Ohio Ashtabula County, 2007. Accessed 2007-05-28.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.