Jefferson Township, Hillsdale County, Michigan
|Jefferson Township, Michigan|
|• Total||36.1 sq mi (93.6 km2)|
|• Land||35.6 sq mi (92.3 km2)|
|• Water||0.5 sq mi (1.3 km2)|
|Elevation||1,060 ft (323 m)|
|• Density||88.2/sq mi (34.0/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1626540|
The township was organized in 1837 with the name of Florida. It was given its present name in 1849.
- Osseo is an unincorporated community within the township about five miles southeast of Hillsdale on M-34 just east of the junction with M-99. It is at 
- Pittsford is an unincorporated community on the boundary with Pittsford Township. It is on M-34, approximately three miles southeast of Osseo at .
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 36.1 square miles (93 km2), of which 35.6 square miles (92 km2) is land and 0.5 square miles (1.3 km2) (1.44%) is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 3,141 people, 1,210 households, and 895 families residing in the township. The population density was 88.2 per square mile (34.0/km²). There were 1,569 housing units at an average density of 44.0 per square mile (17.0/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 97.87% White, 0.25% African American, 0.45% Native American, 0.16% Asian, 0.41% from other races, and 0.86% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.83% of the population.
There were 1,210 households out of which 32.6% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 60.6% were married couples living together, 8.7% had a female householder with no husband present, and 26.0% were non-families. 20.7% of all households were made up of individuals and 7.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.59 and the average family size was 2.99.
In the township the population was spread out with 25.7% under the age of 18, 9.1% from 18 to 24, 28.1% from 25 to 44, 24.1% from 45 to 64, and 13.0% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 37 years. For every 100 females there were 97.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 98.0 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $43,750, and the median income for a family was $51,786. Males had a median income of $34,266 versus $22,483 for females. The per capita income for the township was $17,484. About 4.0% of families and 5.3% of the population were below the poverty line, including 4.7% of those under age 18 and 3.4% of those age 65 or over.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Jefferson Township, Hillsdale County, Michigan
- Walter Romig, Michigan Place names, p. 200
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Osseo, Michigan
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Pittsford, Michigan