Jefferson Township, Scioto County, Ohio
|Jefferson Township, Ohio|
Municipalities and townships of Scioto County
|• Total||24.6 sq mi (63.8 km2)|
|• Land||24.6 sq mi (63.8 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||942 ft (287 m)|
|• Density||110/sq mi (44/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086927|
Located in the northern part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Union Township, Pike County - north
- Madison Township - east
- Harrison Township - southeast
- Clay Township - south
- Valley Township - west
- Scioto Township, Pike County - northwest corner
Name and history
Jefferson Township was established prior to 1810.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (DP-1): Jefferson township, Scioto County, Ohio". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved March 30, 2012.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- "Portsmouth Area Resource Guide, 2007-2008". The Community Common. 2007-07-29. p. 6.
- Kilbourn, John (1833). "The Ohio Gazetteer, or, a Topographical Dictionary". Scott and Wright. p. 256. Retrieved 12 December 2013.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.