Jeffersonville High School
|Jeffersonville High School|
|2315 Allison Lane
Jeffersonville, Clark County, Indiana, United States
|School district||Greater Clark County Schools|
|Number of students||2,079 Students (2012-2013)|
|Athletics||Boys: Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Football, Golf, Soccer, Swimming, Tennis, Track, & Wrestling. Girls: Basketball, Cross Country, Golf, Gymnastics, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track, Volleyball, & Soccer. Non-gender related: Marching Band, Color Guard, Step team, etc.|
|Athletics conference||Hoosier Hills|
|Website||JHS Official Site|
Jeffersonville High School is a public high school located in Jeffersonville, Indiana. The school serves students in grades 9 through 12 from Jeffersonville, Utica, and sections of Clarksville not covered by that town's own high school. The school's enrollment for the 2010-2011 school year was 2,109 students, with 111 teachers. The current principal is Julie Straight (interim).
Prior to 1882, students were taught at three schools. Male students attended the Chestnut Street School, female students attended another school at an unknown location, and all black students regardless of gender attended Taylor High School on Wall Street. The white students were integrated into a co-ed school locared at the corner of Chestnut and Pearl Streets in 1882. The school moved to the intersection of Court and Meigs Avenues in 1913. African-American students were integrated into the school in the 1940s. The current building, located on Allison Lane in the city's East End, opened in 1971, with a major renovation completed in 2011.
2010-2011 School Year Statistics
- Graduation rate: 80%
- ISTEP+ passing rate: 47.4%
- ECA (End-of-Course Assessments) passing rate: 50.7%
- Percentage of graduates taking the SAT:58.8%
- Average SAT composite score: 935
- Percentage of graduates taking the ACT: 19.7%
- Average ACT composite score: 21
- Percentage of graduates taking an Advanced Placement exam: 37.6%
- Percentage of graduates passing an AP exam: 17.9%
There is no information yet regarding the 2011-2012 school year.
Jeffersonville High School was placed on academic probation in accordance with Public Law 221 for the 2007-2008 and 2009-2010 school years, and has not made Adequate Yearly Progress since at least prior to the 2006-2007 school year. There was no PL221 or AYP calculation for the 2008-2009 school year because of a change in spring testing.
Jeffersonville High School Red Devil student athletes have consistently brought home sectional, regional, and state championship victories, and other athletic accomplishments. Below are a few of the Red Devils' athletic accomplishments.
- The Lady Red Devils won the 2011 IHSAA Class 4A Girls Basketball Championship.
- The boys track team has won a state record 40 consecutive track sectional championships.
- The wrestling team has won three four wrestling sectional championships since 2006, including three in a row from 2008 to 2011.
- The swim team has won four state sectional championships since 2003, with three consecutive wins from 2003 to 2006. State championship swimmer Ben Hesen has won individual state championshop crowns in the 100 yard butterfly and 100 yard backstroke, the latter three consecutive times from 2001 to 2004, and diver Marsh Lindley brought home the individual one meter diving championship in 2002.
- JHS' Air Force JROTC unit advanced to Round II of the AFJROTC Academic Bowl in 2012. The unit has also won awards for its color guard and drill team.
- Jeffersonville High School has a prominent theatre program that has sent seven shows to the International Thespian Festival in Nebraska, one which continued to the Fringe Festival in Scotland.
- The Jeffersonville Winter Percussion Ensemble received the Silver Medal at the 2008 TriState Circuit Championships, Percussion Scholastic A section, with a score of 85.10—the highest score ever set by a Jeffersonville Indoor Drumline.
- The Jeffersonville High School Wind Symphony was a finalist at the Indiana State School Music Association state-level event in 2007.
- Jeffersonville High School Band selected as Grammy Signature School in 2012.
- The Jeffersonville High School Marching Band actively competes in Bands of America competitions.
- The Jeffersonville High School Marching Band won the title of Grand Champion at Louisville Male Invitational in 2011
- Admiral Jonas Ingram, Medal of Honor recipient and Commander-in-Chief, United States Atlantic Fleet during World War II.
- John Schnatter, founder and CEO of Papa John's Pizza
- Jermaine Ross, professional football player (St. Louis Rams, Jacksonville Jaguars)
- Ben Hesen, champion collegiate swimmer and US Open record holder in the 50M backstroke
- Walt Terrell, Detroit Tigers
- "DOE Compass: Overview, Jeffersonville High School". Indiana Department of Education. Retrieved 25 May 2012.
- "DOE Compass: AYP information, Jeffersonville High School". Indiana Department of Education. Retrieved 25 May 2012.
- "DOE Compass: PL221 information, Jeffersonville High School". Indiana Department of Education.
- "IHSAA Basketball State Champions". Indiana High School Athletic Association. Retrieved 29 May 2012.
- "IHSAA Girls Basketball Team State Champions". Indiana High School Athletic Association. Retrieved 29 May 2012.
- "Indiana Miss Basketball honorees". The Indianapolis Star. Retrieved 29 May 2012.
- "IHSAA Track & Field All-Time Team Sectional Champions". Indiana High School Athletic Association. Retrieved 29 May 2012.
- "IHSAA Wrestling All-Time Team Sectional Champions". Indiana High School Athletic Association. Retrieved 29 May 2012.
- "IHSAA Boys Swimming and Diving Individual State Champions". Indiana High School Athletic Association. Retrieved 29 May 2012.
- "2011-12 Air Force JROTC Academic Bowl" (pdf). College Options Foundation. Retrieved 17 June 2012.
- "Percussion Championships Results April 4, 2008". TriState Circuit. Retrieved 29 May 2012.
- "Concert Organization State Event Results". Indiana State School Music Association. Retrieved 29 May 2012.
- Jeff Red Devils
- Jeffersonville High School
- Department of Education Statistics
- IN-061 ROTC Program
- IHSAA - Play On