Jeffrey A. Klein
Jeffrey Alan Klein, is an American dermatologist from Southern California, known for describing the tumescent technique for liposuction surgery. He is the author of Tumescent Technique: Tumescent Anesthesia & Microcannular Liposuction, a text in liposuction safety and effectiveness.
Education and training
Klein studied mathematics and physics as an undergraduate at the University of California, Riverside (BA in mathematics). As a graduate student, he studied mathematics at the Université de Paris and University of California, San Diego (MA in mathematics, 1971). He graduated from the School of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco in 1976 and spent eight additional years in advanced postgraduate training, with a masters degree in public health (biostatistics and epidemiology) from University of California, Berkeley; three years at University of California, Los Angeles as a resident in internal medicine (certification by the American Board of Internal Medicine, 1980; two years as a National Institute of Health research fellow in clinical pharmacology; and three years at University of California, Irvine as a resident in Dermatology (certification by the American Board of Dermatology, 1984) 
Klein is currently Associate Clinical Professor of Dermatology at University of California, Irvine College of Medicine and in private practice in San Juan Capistrano, California. He lives in Newport Beach, California.
|This section requires expansion. (June 2008)|
Tumescent anesthesia is a combination of highly diluted lidocaine and epinephrine. The subcutaneous infiltration of a large volume of this fluid causes the targeted tissue to become swollen and firm, or tumescent, and permits procedures to be performed on patients without general anesthesia while minimizing blood loss due to the vasoconstrictive effect of epinephrine."
- Klein, Jeffrey A.; foreword by Rudolph de Jong ; cover illustration by Earl D. Klein. (©2000). Tumescent Technique: Tumescent Anesthesia & Microcannular Liposuction. St. Louis: Mosby. pp. xvi, 470 p. : ill. ISBN 0-8151-5205-1.
- "Dr. Klein's CV." Curriculum Vitae. Thursday, March 20, 2008 12:44:43 PM. Monday, April 14, 2008 10:49 PM <http://www.liposuction101.com/dr_Kleins_cv.html>.
- "Giving." UCI Department of Dematology. Monday, April 14, 2008 2:44:22 PM. Sponsoring Agency. Monday, April 14, 2008 2:50 PM <http://www.hs.uci.edu/dermatology/UCI.aspx?pID=16>.
- Rudolph H. De Jong. International Journal of Cosmetic Surgery and Aesthetic Dermatology. March 1, 2002, 4(1): 3-7. doi:10.1089/153082002320007412.
Reviews of the book
- Lawrence, N. Archives of Dermatology Vol. 138 No. 3, March 2002. Book and New Media Reviews. Review of Tumescent Technique: Tumescent Anesthesia & Microcannular Liposuction. Arch Dermatol. 2002;138:416-417.
- Anesthesia & Analgesia. Book and Multimedia Reviews. Tumescent Technique: Tumescent Anesthesia & Microcannular Liposuction. Jeffrey A. Klein. Anesth Analg 2002;94:1046-1047
- Klein JA. Post-tumescent liposuction care. Open drainage and bimodal compression. Dermatol Clin. 1999 Oct;17(4):881-9, viii.
- Klein JA. Deaths related to liposuction. N Engl J Med. 1999 Sep 23;341(13):1001; author reply 1002-3.
- Dr. Jeffrey A. Klein's CV
- 20/20 Interview with Jeffrey A. Klein, MD
- Larry King Live Interview with Jeffrey A. Klein, MD