Bewkes at the Time 100 gala, April 24, 2012
|Born||Jeffrey Lawrence Bewkes
May 25, 1952
Paterson, New Jersey, U.S.
|Occupation||Chairman and CEO of Time Warner|
|Salary||$25.94 million FY 2011|
Jeffrey Lawrence Bewkes (born 25 May 1952) is an American media executive. He has served as CEO of Time Warner since January 1, 2008 and as President since December 2005. On January 1, 2009 he became Chairman of the Board in addition to his other duties.
Early life and education
Bewkes was born in Paterson, New Jersey, to an affluent Lutheran family, the middle son of Marjorie Louise (née Klenk) and Eugene Garrett Bewkes, Jr., an executive at Norton Simon. He is of Dutch and German ancestry, was raised in Darien, Connecticut, and is a graduate of Deerfield Academy. In 1974, he graduated from Yale and later graduated with an MBA from Stanford. He sits on both his alma maters' respective advisory boards. After school, he worked at a Sonoma Vineyard winery and then took a job in New York City as a commercial banker with Citibank in their shipping lending unit.
Leaving Citibank, he took a job at HBO then a small unit of Time Inc where he was tasked with convincing hotels to subscribe to HBO and then sales director responsible for the launch of Cinemax. He rose to become CFO of HBO (1986–1991); President and COO of HBO (1991–1995); CEO of HBO (1995–2002); and then chairman of Time Warner’s entertainment and networks group (2002–2005). From December 2005 to December 2007, he served as the top subordinate to Time Warner (the by-product of the 1990 merger between Time Inc and Warner Communications Inc) Chairman & CEO Dick Parsons. In 2008, Bewkes was selected as Parsons' successor as CEO of Time Warner, although Parsons remained Chairman of the Board until 2009.
On behalf of NYC Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg, Bewkes was one of the chairs of Media.NYC.2020, which reviewed the future of the global media industry, the implications for NYC, and suggested actionable next steps for the NYC government.
Bewkes has been married twice. His first marriage to Susan Frank Kelley, a successful law firm partner specializing in trusts and estates, ended in divorce. As of November 2013, he is separated from his current wife, Margaret Lowry Brim, a former real estate agent and aide to Roone Arledge. He has a son from each marriage and a step-child from Brim's first marriage to Peter McCabe. Bewkes lives in Manhattan and Greenwich, Connecticut.
- "Jeffrey L. Bewkes Profile". Forbes. 2011. Retrieved 2013-08-07.
- "Bewkes, Jeffrey L.". Current Biography Yearbook 2010. Ipswich, MA: H.W. Wilson. 2010. pp. 33–38. ISBN 9780824211134.
- TVWeek: "12 to Watch: Jeffrey Bewkes" By Jon Lafayette retrieved February 21, 2013
- St Lawrence Plain Dealer: "Bewkes-Klenk Wedding Sat, Phoenixville, Pa" August 24, 1949
- Los Angeles Times: "The Very Model of a Modern Media Manager" by Michael Cieply and Edmund Sanders May 16, 2003
- Hersam Acorn Newspapers Archives: The Darien Times: Marjorie K. Bewkes Obituary January 25, 2007
- New York Magazine: "Lord of These Things - Does sensible technocrat Jeff Bewkes, who spent 28 years rising through the ranks to CEO, have the solution for Time Warner’s problems? (And what if there isn’t one?)" By Lloyd Grove January 13, 2008
- Strauss, Steven; Kristy Sundjaja; Peter Robinson; Andrew Chen (2012). Media.NYC.2020. NYCEDC.
- Page Six: "Time Warner CEO Jeff Bewkes, wife to divorce" By Emily Smith retrieved November 27, 2013
- At Time Warner, Successor to Parsons Emerges (NYTimes.com)
- For Time Warner, a time to break up? (Fortune magazine)
Richard D. Parsons