Jeffrey Hollender in 2013
November 8, 1954 |
New York City, New York, US
|Occupation||Founder & CEO of Sustain Condoms
Co-Founder of American Sustainable Business Council
|Known for||Co-Founder & CEO of Seventh Generation Inc.|
Board member of
Jeffrey Hollender (born 1954) is an American entrepreneur, author, and activist. He is known for his roles as co-founder and CEO of Seventh Generation Inc., a distributor of all-natural cleaning, paper, and personal care products. Hollender is also the co-founder of the American Sustainable Business Council, a nonprofit advocacy group working to promote sustainable policy ideals, and is an author of books on sustainability.
From 1979 to 1987, Hollender was the president of Warner Audio Publishing, a division of Warner Communications. In 1988, Hollender acquired a small mail order catalog centered on energy conservation products known as Renew America. Renew America eventually transformed into Seventh Generation Inc.. For twenty years, Hollender acted as President, CEO, and "Chief Inspired Protagonist" of the Vermont-based company.
On June 1, 2009, Hollender stepped down from his role as CEO and became Executive Chairperson of Seventh Generation. Hollender was fired from Seventh Generation Inc. by the board of directors in October of 2010.
In 2009, Hollender co-founded the American Sustainable Business Council, which describes itself as a "growing coalition of business networks committed to public policies that support a vibrant, just, and sustainable economy." It claims to be "a national partnership of 57+ business associations representing over 150,000 businesses and 300,000 entrepreneurs, managers, investors, and others. These partners support sustainable development, socially responsible business practices, and strong local Main Street economies."
In 2010 Jeffrey was named Co-Chair of the Board of Directors of Greenpeace USA, where he has served on the board since 2005.
- How to Make the World a Better Place (1985)
- Naturally Clean (2006)
- In Our Every Deliberation: An Introduction to Seventh Generation (2006)
- The Responsibility Revolution: How the Next Generation of Businesses Will Win (2010)
- Planet Home (2010) co-written by Alexandra Zissu
- 2004 Terry Ehrich Award
- 2012 NYU Stern's Citi Leadership & Ethics Program Distinguished Fellow 
- Sacks, Danielle (2010-11-02). "Inside Seventh Generation's Firing of Founder Jeffrey Hollender". Fast Company. Retrieved 2012-12-12.
- "Jeffrey Hollender, co-founder of the American Sustainable Business Council, becomes its Chair of the Business Leadership Council – Press Releases on". Csrwire.com. Retrieved 2012-12-12.
- "About Us | American Sustainable Business Council". Asbcouncil.org. Retrieved 2012-12-12.
- "Internet Archive Wayback Machine". Web.archive.org. 2011-07-03. Retrieved 2012-12-12.
- "Making Constant Improvements". Fast Company. Retrieved 2012-12-12.
- "Best Bosses Award". Winning Workplaces. Retrieved 2012-12-12.
- "NYU Stern | Jeffrey Hollender as NYU Stern’s 9th Distinguished Citi Fellow". Stern.nyu.edu. 2011-12-15. Retrieved 2012-12-12.