Jeffrey J. Helmick
|Judge of the United States District Court for the Northern District of Ohio|
June 7, 2012
|Appointed by||Barack Obama|
|Preceded by||James Carr|
|Born||1960 (age 53–54)
Toledo, Ohio, U.S.
|Alma mater||University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
Ohio State University, Columbus
Jeffrey James Helmick is a United States District Judge for the United States District Court for the Northern District of Ohio.
Early life and education
From 1988 until 1989, Helmick worked as an associate at the law firm Marshall & Melhorn. From 1989 until 1995, he worked as a principal in a law firm, and then he was a principal in another law firm from 1996 until 1998. Helmick co-founded his current law firm in 1998 and concentrates in federal criminal defense litigation.
Nomination to federal district court
On May 11, 2011, President Obama nominated Helmick to a seat on the United States District Court for the Northern District of Ohio that had been vacated by Judge James G. Carr, who took senior status in June 2010. He was recommended for the post by senators George Voinovich and Sherrod Brown.
On March 8, 2012, Helmick's nomination was reported to the floor of the Senate by the Senate Judiciary Committee by a vote of 11–6. In the Senate debate over Helmick's nomination, there was some controversy over Helmick's representation of accused terrorist and Toledo terror plot organizer Wassim Mazloum in 2009 as well as an ethics case that had gone to the Supreme Court of Ohio. Sen. Chuck Grassley in particular opposed Helmick for his role as a court-appointed attorney for Mazloum, who was ultimately convicted. However, Helmick was backed by both Democratic Ohio Sen. Sherrod Brown and Republican Ohio Sen. Rob Portman.
- The White House: Office of the Press Secretary (May 11, 2011). "President Obama Nominates Three for District Court Bench". whitehouse.gov. Retrieved May 12, 2011.
- The White House: Office of the Press Secretary (May 11, 2011). "Presidential Nominations Sent to the Senate, 5/11/2011". whitehouse.gov. Retrieved May 12, 2011.
- Toledo Blade (January 2, 2012). "Nominee for federal court seat is in limbo, 1/2/2012". ToledoBlade.com. Retrieved January 4, 2012.
- Senate Periodical Press Gallery
- Biographical Directory of Federal Judges
|Judge of the United States District Court for the Northern District of Ohio