Jeffrey Karl Ochsner
Jeffrey Karl Ochsner (born 1950) is an architect, architectural historian, and professor at the University of Washington in Seattle. He is known for his research and writing on American architects Henry Hobson Richardson and Lionel H. Pries, and on Seattle architecture.
Ochsner graduated from Rice University with a B.A. in Architecture in 1973 and a Master of Architecture (M.Arch.) in 1976. He worked for Gunnar Birkerts and Associates in Michigan in 1973-74. He was owner/principal of a Houston-based architectural practice, Ochsner Associates, from 1984 to 1987.
Ochsner has taught at the University of Washington since 1988. He was Chair of the Department of Architecture from 1996 to 2002. He began serving as Associate Dean in the College of Built Environments in 2007.
Ochsner is a Fellow in the American Institute of Architects. His co-authored book, Distant Corner: Seattle Architects and the Legacy of H. H. Richardson, was selected as one of “100 Top Books by 100 UW Authors" by Columns: University of Washington Alumni Magazine in December 2006. His book, Lionel H. Pries, Architect, Artist, Educator: From Arts and Crafts to Modern Architecture, was a Finalist for the Washington State Book Award in History/Biography in 2008. Ochsner is included in the 2007 book The Things They've Done by William T. Cannady.
Ochsner was diagnosed with a choroidal melanoma in 1997; radiation treatment was successful.
- Ochsner, Jeffrey Karl, editor/co-author, Shaping Seattle Architecture: A Historical Guide to the Architects Second Edition, University of Washington Press, Seattle and London 2014, ISBN 978-0-295-99348-5. First Edition: AIA Seattle and University of Washington Press, Seattle and London 1994, ISBN 978-0-295-97365-4
- Ochsner, Jeffrey Karl, Furniture Studio: Materials, Craft, and Architecture University of Washington Press, Seattle and London, 2012. ISBN 978-0-295-99155-9
- Ochsner, Jeffrey Karl, Lionel H. Pries, Architect, Artist, Educator: From Arts and Crafts to Modern Architecture University of Washington Press, Seattle and London, 2007. ISBN 978-0-295-98698-2
- Ochsner, Jeffrey Karl, and Andersen, Dennis Alan, Distant Corner: Seattle Architects and the Legacy of H. H. Richardson, University of Washington Press, Seattle and London 2003, ISBN 978-0-295-98238-0
- Ochsner, Jeffrey Karl, H. H. Richardson: Complete Architectural Works, MIT Press, Cambridge MA and London, 1982, ISBN 0-262-15023-9