Jeffrey L. Seglin
|Jeffrey L. Seglin|
December 26, 1956 |
Plattsburgh, New York
|Education||B.A., Bethany College|
Jeffrey L. Seglin (born December 26, 1956) is an American journalist, author and lecturer. Since 2011, he has been a faculty member and director of the communications program at the John F. Kennedy School of Government at Harvard University. His weekly column on ethics, "The Right Thing," is syndicated in newspapers in the United States and Canada.
Early life and education
Seglin was born in Plattsburgh, New York, and grew up in many cities in the northeastern U.S. as well as Santiago, Chile. He attended Boonton High School in Boonton, New Jersey. He holds a masters degree in theological studies from Harvard Divinity School and a bachelor's degree from Bethany College.
Seglin is the author or co-author on more than a dozen books on business and writing. He has written for publications including The New York Times, Real Simple, Fortune, Fortune Small Business, Salon.com, Time, Sojourners, MIT's Sloan Management Review, Harvard Management Update, Business 2.0, ForbesASAP, CIO, CFO, and MBA Jungle. He has contributed commentaries to American Public Media's Marketplace radio program and was the host of Doing Well by Doing Good, an hour-long live television program airing out of WCVE-TV, PBS's Richmond, Virginia affiliate.
In his syndicated column, "The Right Thing," he offers solutions to ethical dilemmas posed by readers. The column was syndicated by The New York Times Syndicate from February 2004 through August 2010. In September 2010, Tribune Media Services began distributing "The Right Thing" column.
In 2003, Seglin published The Right Thing: Conscience, Profit and Personal Responsibility in Today’s Business, a collection of the first four years of his syndicated column. It was named as one of the "Best Business Books of 2003" by the Library Journal. He is also the author of The Good, the Bad, and Your Business: Choosing Right When Ethical Dilemmas Pull You Apart (Wiley, 2000).
Seglin worked at Emerson College in Boston, Massachusetts from 1999 until 2011, where he was an associate professor and also director of the graduate program in publishing and writing. He has been an ethics fellow at the Poynter Institute for Media Studies since 2001 and was a resident fellow at the Center for the Study of Values in Public Life at Harvard University in 1998-1999. In 2011, Seglin became a lecturer in public policy and director of the communications program at the John F. Kennedy School of Government at Harvard University.
He lectures widely on ethics, business ethics, and writing, including sessions at the Executive MBA Program at University of Wisconsin–Madison, Duke Corporate Education, Harvard Business School Publishing Virtual Seminars, Virginia Commonwealth University, and other organizations.
He also served as a consultant on the business ethics module of Harvard ManageMentor.
Trust Across America named Seglin as one of the Top 100 Thought Leaders in Trustworthy Business Behavior from 2010-2014, and honored him with the organization's Lifetime Achievement Award in January 2015.
The student body of Harvard Kennedy School named Seglin a co-recipient of the Manuel C. Carballo Award for Excellence in Teaching in May 2014. 
- The Right Thing: Conscience, Profit and Personal Responsibility in Today’s Business. Spiro Press, 2003. ISBN 1-904298-97-4 ISBN 978-1904298977 Smith-Kerr, 2006. ISBN 0-9786899-0-9 ISBN 978-0978689902
- The Good, the Bad, and Your Business: Choosing Right When Ethical Dilemmas Pull You Apart. New York: Wiley, 2000. ISBN 0-471-34779-5 ISBN 978-0471347798 Smith-Kerr, 2007.ISBN 0978689933 ISBN 978-0-9786899-3-3
- Seglin, Jeffrey L. "THE RIGHT THING; My Principles, or the Milk and Cookies?", The New York Times, January 18, 2004. Accessed November 5, 2007.
- Eugene Paik (June 19, 2009). "Boonton Museum Honors Accomplished Alumni". The Star-Ledger. Retrieved April 1, 2015.
- Global Business Perspectives, The New York Times News Service
- James Warren (July 7, 2011). "Nuggets of Reform, but Lacking Applause". The New York Times. Retrieved July 11, 2011.
- "Harvard Business Publishing to Deliver Groundbreaking Business Resource with Newest Version of Harvard ManageMentor" (Press release). April 7, 2010. Retrieved April 1, 2015.
- "2015 Top Thought Leaders in Trust Announced2013" (Press release). January 26, 2015. Retrieved 1 April 2015.
- "Teaching Awards". May 2014. Retrieved 2 April 2015.
- "Honorary Degrees Awarded by Bethany College". March 6, 2014. Retrieved 2 April 2015.
- "Harvard Lecturer and Ethicist Jeffrey Seglin Addresses Bethany College Community at Founder’s Day" (Press release). March 6, 2014.
- The Right Thing Blog
- Harvard Kennedy School faculty page
- Seglin video on business ethics for Harvard Business Publishing
- Seglin on Fox 25 Morning News
- 2014 Bethany College Founder's Day address on YouTube