|Jeffrey N. Vinik|
March 22, 1959 |
Deal, NJ, USA
|Alma mater||Duke University (B.S., Civil Engineering, 1981)
Harvard Business School (MBA, 1985)
|Known for||owner of professional sports teams|
Jeffrey N. Vinik (born March 22, 1959) is the current owner of the Tampa Bay Lightning (NHL) and the Tampa Bay Storm (AFL), as well as a minority owner of the Boston Red Sox (MLB). He is also on the board of directors for Liverpool Football Club of the Premier League.
Vinik was born in Deal, New Jersey. He graduated Phi Beta Kappa from Duke University in 1981 with a bachelor of science in civil engineering. He also obtained an MBA from Harvard Business School in 1985.
Vinik managed the Fidelity Magellan Fund from 1992 to 1996, where he averaged 17% annual returns. After leaving Fidelity, he started a hedge fund called Vinik Asset Management. He made investors 93.8% in his first 11 months and approximately 50% a year for the next three years. At the end of 2000, Vinik returned investors $4.2 billion and focused on managing his own portfolio. In 2010, he purchased the Tampa Bay Lightning from Oren Koules and Len Barrie for $170 million.
In 1998, Vinik and his wife, Penny, donated $1.25 million to endow a professorship at Duke's engineering school. The next year, they donated $5 million towards facilities at the engineering school. In 2012, they donated $10 million to create a challenge fund to endow associate and full professorships dedicated to addressing complex societal challenges. He donated $4 million to build a new Jewish Community Center in South Tampa.
- "Lightning (NHL) Owner, Vinik, Purchases Storm". Arena Football League. January 13, 2011. Retrieved January 13, 2011.
- "Jeff Vinik Agrees to Purchase Tampa Bay Lightning". Tampa Bay Lightning. February 5, 2010.
- "Liverpool confirm 5 new directors". Anfield Online. November 13, 2010.
- Times Staff (February 5, 2010). "Who is Jeff Vinik?". Tampa Bay Times.
- "Stock Picker Vinik Turns to ETFs After Beating Market". Bloomberg Business. December 17, 2010.
- "Corporate Leadership in a Globalising Equity Market" Useem, Michael (1998) in Academy of Management Executive
- ESPN: "Vinik agrees to buy Lightning" by Pierre LeBrun February 5, 2010
- Greg Pessin (January 11, 2000). "Investor donates to Pratt facilities". The Chronicle (Duke University).
- Times Staff (May 8, 2012). "Tampa Bay Lightning owner Jeff Vinik gives $10 million to Duke University". Tampa Bay Times.
- Jewish Tampa: "New JCC Project Garnering Significant Support" retrieved July 12, 2014 | "Jeff Vinik added, “We're excited to be a part of the creation of an additional JCC presence in Tampa, and we know this will be transformative for so many members of our community."