Jeggings were brought on by the resurgence in style of skinny jeans in the mid- to late-2000s (decade), when a higher demand for an even tighter style of pants came about. Since jeggings are typically made of a denim/spandex blend, they are often worn on their own as opposed to under a skirt or dress. Some jeggings have front fastening facilities while others just have an elastic waistband and no pockets.
With respect to material, jeggings fall into two main categories:
- Jeggings that are legging material made to look like denim with fake pockets and belt loops
- Jeggings that are a true cross between denim and legging material. "Denim jeggings" are essentially a denim fabric with the elasticity of a legging.
The latter are more similar to skinny jeans than the former. Some designers call "denim jeggings" pull-on jeans rather than jeggings.
Jeggings entered the fitness world in early 2009, and is a brand name owned by Turkish textile company Sanko Tekstil, who were the original producers of the material used to create denim leggings. Jeggings were among the most popular clothing items of 2010, according to business reporting.
In 2011 "Jeggings" was entered into the twelfth edition of Concise Oxford English Dictionary. Conan O'Brien wore a pair during the taping of Conan on 2 December 2010, the night after admitting his (tongue-in-cheek) love for jeggings to Project Runway's Tim Gunn.
- "'Jeggings' to take pants fashion by storm". Oneindia.in. Asian News International. 6 March 2010. Retrieved 28 October 2012.
- "How to Wear Jeggings". StyleTips101.com. 2009/2010. Retrieved 28 October 2012.
- Brown, Cynthia (23 March 2011). "Desperately Seeking Jeggings". Go Chic or Go Home. Retrieved 28 October 2012.
- Rosenbloom, Stephanie (7 April 2010). "Upbeat Times Revive Consumers' Mood for Spending". The New York Times. p. A1. Retrieved 28 October 2012.
- Lawless, Jill (19 August 2011). "'Retweet,' 'sexting,' 'jeggings' enter Oxford dictionary". The Seattle Times. Associated Press. Retrieved 28 October 2012.
- Weiss, Shari (3 December 2010). "Conan O'Brien struts his stuff in a pair of jeggings: 'I'm never taking them off!'". Daily News (New York). Retrieved 28 October 2012.