April 26, 1985 |
London, United Kingdom
|Alma mater||Rhode Island School of Design|
|Spouse(s)||Michael Mosberg (m. 2009)|
Jemima Kirke (born April 26, 1985) is a British-American artist and actress best known for her role as Jessa Johansson on the television series Girls. She made her feature-length debut in the independent film Tiny Furniture, as a favour for friend Lena Dunham, although her film debut was in the indie short film Smile for the Camera.
Born in London, Kirke was raised in New York City. She is the daughter of Simon Kirke, the former drummer of the rock bands Bad Company and Free. Her mother is Lorraine (née Dellal) Kirke, the owner of Geminola, a vintage boutique in New York City that supplied a number of outfits for the television series Sex and the City. Her character Jessa wore a wedding dress from Geminola in the season finale of the first season of Girls; also, earlier in her career, she was featured along with her sisters in a fashion piece in Teen Vogue in which they wore clothing from the store.
Her father is of English and Scottish descent.  Her maternal grandfather, Jack Dellal, was a British businessman of Iraqi Jewish descent, and Kirke's maternal grandmother was Israeli. Kirke has two sisters, Lola and Domino Kirke, who are both involved in the music business. She is a cousin of curator Alexander Dellal and model Alice Dellal.
Kirke is close friends with Lena Dunham, who created Tiny Furniture and Girls. They became friends while attending Saint Ann's School in New York City. In an interview with Esquire, Kirke discussed how the characters she portrays in both were inspired somewhat by her personality.
Kirke majored in art as a student and received her Bachelor of Fine Arts in painting from the Rhode Island School of Design. In late 2011, she held an exhibition titled "A Brief History" through Skylight Projects.
Kirke is first and foremost an artist, although she fell into acting through roles she accepted for a number of her friends. Dunham asked Kirke to take on a supporting role in her debut film Tiny Furniture, a film she was making with her parents' money. Kirke and a number of other friends were called upon as a favour to Dunham since there wasn't enough money to pay professional actors. Although the film turned out to be profitable, Kirke received no payment.
|2005||Smile for the Camera||Twin Singer (voice)||Short film|
|2010||Tiny Furniture||Charlotte||Nominated — Gotham Award for Best Ensemble Cast|
|2012–present||Girls||Jessa Johansson||Main role|
- Rosen, Christopher (2012-04-23). "Jemima Kirke, 'Girls' Star, On Periods, Collaborations And Sex Scenes". Huffington Post. Retrieved May 1, 2012.
- Miller, Julie (2012-04-09). "Q&A: Girls Co-Star Jemima Kirke on Tattooing Lena Dunham and Playing It Cool Through Her Awkward Phase". Vanity Fair. Retrieved May 6, 2012.
- "Jemima Kirke". Jemima Kirke. June 24, 2012. Retrieved June 24, 2012.
- Interviews & Reviews – Simon Kirke Official Website. Freewebs.com. Retrieved on 2012-08-21.
- "Geminola". Retrieved May 6, 2012.
- "Is that you, Jessa? Girls star Jemima Kirke channels HBO character as she models her mom's eccentric dress designs". Daily Mail (London).
- Kirke's Jemima Kirke
- Jews in the News: Jews Rock Hall of Fame, A Minyan of Marvel Heroes. Letmypeoplegrow.org (2012-06-23). Retrieved on 2012-08-21.
- Dempster, Nigel (1999-02-09). Jack the lad to become a dad. Daily Mail (London).
- Wunsch, Noah (2012-04-11). "She Rose Not He Roes". New York Press. Retrieved May 6, 2012.
- Peele, Anna (November 10, 2010). "Jemima Kirke Will Be an Actress Yet". Esquire. Retrieved May 6, 2012.
- Zhong, Fan (April 2012). "Naughty Girl: Jemima Kirke's Wild-Child-Role in HBO's Girls". W. Retrieved May 6, 2012.
- "Jemima Kirke Welcomes Second Child". People.
- "Skylight Projects". artslant.com. Retrieved May 6, 2012.
- Vilensky, Mike (March 14, 2012). "The Art of Being ‘Girls’ Co-Star Jemima Kirke". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved May 13, 2012.
- photofinishrecords (2011-02-25). "Rival Schools- Wring It Out (Official Music Video)". YouTube. Retrieved 2014-08-21.