Sorensen photographed at Comic-Con International in 2001.
September 28, 1974 |
|Awards||Xeric Award, 2000
Alternative Newsweekly Award, 2005
Jen Sorensen (born September 28, 1974, in Lancaster, Pennsylvania) is an American cartoonist who authors Slowpoke, a weekly comic strip that often focuses on current events from a liberal perspective. The comic generally makes use of three recurring characters: Mr. Perkins, Little Gus, and Drooly Julie.
Raised in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, Sorensen enrolled in the University of Virginia, where she drew a daily comic strip, Li'l Gus, for its student newspaper, University Journal, from 1994 to 1995, as well as contributing to the satirical magazine The Yellow Journal.
Sorensen soon became published in various comic anthologies, including Action Girl and the Big Book of the 70's. She later published her own book, Slowpoke Comix #1, in 1998. In 1999, one year after the book was published, Slowpoke became a weekly comic strip, currently published in over 20 alternative newsweeklies throughout America.
Sorensen has published three volumes of Slowpoke cartoons: Slowpoke: Café Pompous from 2001, Slowpoke: America Gone Bonkers from 2004 and her latest book, Slowpoke: One Nation Oh My God! published in 2008. Besides her weekly political cartoon, she has produced a number of magazine illustrations for such periodicals as Nickelodeon Magazine, The American Prospect, The Dallas Observer, Women's Review of Books, C-Ville Weekly and National Geographic Kids.
She also writes a political weblog on her site.
- 2000: Xeric Award
- 2003: Alternative Newsweekly Award, Cartoon (Five or fewer papers), 3rd Place
- 2004: Alternative Newsweekly Award, Cartoon (Five or fewer papers), 2nd Place
- 2005: Alternative Newsweekly Award, Cartoon (Five or fewer papers), 1st Place
- 2008: Alternative Newsweekly Award, Cartoon, 3rd Place
- 2009: Alternative Newsweekly Award, Cartoon, 2nd Place
Sorensen has written the following books, published by Alternative Comics, which are generally compilations of the weekly comic strip, although the first book contained entirely new material.
- Slowpoke Comix #1 - 1998 (Alternative Comics) (OCLC 63661994)
- Slowpoke: Café Pompous - 2001 (Alternative Comics) (ISBN 1-891867-02-4)
- Slowpoke: America Gone Bonkers - 2004 (Alternative Comics) (ISBN 1-891867-78-4)
- Slowpoke: One Nation, Oh My God! - 2008 (Ig Publishing) (ISBN 0-978843-16-9)
|This profile of an American cartoonist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|