|Unincorporated community & census-designated place|
Location of Jenison within Ottawa County, Michigan
|• Township Supervisor||Dale Mohr|
|• Unincorporated community & census-designated place||5.9 sq mi (15.3 km2)|
|• Land||5.9 sq mi (15.2 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.1 km2)|
|Elevation||604 ft (184 m)|
|• Unincorporated community & census-designated place||17,211|
|• Density||2,940.8/sq mi (1,135.5/km2)|
|• Metro||1,306,768 (Grand Rapids-Muskegon-Holland MSA)|
|Time zone||EST (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||0629253|
Jenison is an unincorporated community in Ottawa County in the U.S. state of Michigan. It is a census-designated place (CDP) for statistical purposes, but has no legal status as an incorporated municipality. The community is governed by Georgetown Charter Township. The population of the CDP was 17,211 as of the 2000 census. The current estimated population for the entire Jenison ZIP code, 49428, is 25,770. The geographical boundaries of the ZIP code are larger than that of the CDP.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the community has a total area of 5.9 square miles (15 km2), of which 5.8 square miles (15 km2) is land and 0.1 square miles (0.26 km2) (0.85%) is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 17,211 people, 5,975 households, and 4,863 families residing in the community. The population density was 2,940.8 per square mile (1,135.9/km²). There were 6,065 housing units at an average density of 1,036.3 per square mile (400.3/km²). The racial makeup of the community was 98.84% White, 0.49% African American, 0.21% Native American, 0.85% Asian, 0.01% Pacific Islander, 0.53% from other races, and 0.87% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.77% of the population.
There were 5,975 households out of which 39.8% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 73.5% were married couples living together, 5.8% had a female householder with no husband present, and 18.6% were non-families. 16.9% of all households were made up of individuals and 10.1% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.86 and the average family size was 3.24.
In the community the population was spread out with 28.9% under the age of 18, 7.8% from 18 to 24, 26.8% from 25 to 44, 24.0% from 45 to 64, and 12.5% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females there were 93.5 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 90.5 males.
The median income for a household in the community was $56,426, and the median income for a family was $61,957. Males had a median income of $46,738 versus $28,204 for females. The per capita income for the community was $21,021. About 1.8% of families and 2.5% of the population were below the poverty line, including 3.1% of those under age 18 and 4.3% of those age 65 or over.
- Baldwin Street
- Bauer Road
- Cottonwood Drive
- Chicago Drive
Jenison Public Schools:
- Jenison High School
- Jenison Junior High School
- Bursley Elementary School
- Bauerwood Elementary School
- Pinewood Elementary School
- Sandy Hill Elementary School
- Rosewood Elementary School
- ECC, Early Childhood Center - Michigan State University Partnership(former Maplewood Elementary School)
- Jenison International Academy - Online School
- Jenison Christian School
- David Brandt, retired player in the National Football League
- Mark Dewey, retired Major League Baseball pitcher
- Kevin DeYoung, pastor, author
- Paul Grasmanis, retired player in the National Football League
- Benny McCoy, retired Major League Baseball infielder
- Andy Ponstein, ARCA driver
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Jenison, Michigan
- USA Football: It's more than a game
- Mark Dewey Statistics - The Baseball Cube
- Grasmanis Past Stats, Statistics, History, and Awards - databaseFootball.com
- "Benny McCoy Statistics and History". Baseball-Reference.com. Retrieved September 25, 2013.
- Welcome to Andy Ponstein - Home[dead link]
- Georgetown Charter Township
- Grandville-Jenison Chamber of Commerce
- Jenison Public Schools
- Jenison Christian School
- Georgetown Little League
- Georgetown Township Library