Garth at the 2009 Primetime Emmy Awards
|Born||Jennifer Eve Garth
April 3, 1972
Urbana, Illinois, U.S.
Jennifer Eve "Jennie" Garth (born April 3, 1972) is an American actress and film director, best known for starring as Kelly Taylor throughout the Beverly Hills, 90210 franchise and Valerie Tyler on the sitcom What I Like About You. In 2012, she starred in her own reality show, Jennie Garth: A Little Bit Country on CMT.
Jennie Garth was born in Urbana, Illinois, to John and Carolyn Garth. The youngest of seven children (though the only child of both), Garth spent much of her youth on a 25-acre horse ranch in Arcola, Illinois. For a time the family stayed in Tuscola, Illinois; but eventually they settled in Glendale, Arizona, when Garth was around thirteen years old. She studied dance and modeled, and was soon discovered at a local talent competition by Hollywood scout and manager, Randy James. She attended Greenway High School as a freshman and transferred to Apollo High School in her sophomore year. Determined to become an actress, she left school during her junior year to work with James in Los Angeles (she would later obtain her high school diploma in California). She began taking acting classes and going to auditions almost daily and soon landed a role as "Erica McCray" in the NBC television series A Brand New Life (1989–90).
Garth landed her first role in the television sitcom Growing Pains. She also appeared in six episodes on A Brand New Life as Erica McCray.
In 1990, she landed the role of Kelly Taylor in the series Beverly Hills, 90210. Throughout the series, Garth's character faces several trials and tribulations, along with difficult issues regarding family and her romantic life. Garth displayed an exceptional understanding of the character's struggles and triumphs, portraying Kelly in a relatable way which made her one of the most developed and popular characters on the show. Garth appears in all ten seasons of the show. She also directed two episodes (the second most of any cast member). She won a Young Artist Award and was nominated for a Teen Choice Award for the role. She was also instrumental in launching the spin-offs Melrose Place and 90210, with the character of Kelly becoming a continuity icon by appearing in the most franchise episodes.
Her successful role on Beverly Hills, 90210 opened the door to several lead roles in made-for-TV films in the 1990s, including Danielle Steel's Star (1993), Without Consent (1994), Lies of the Heart: The Story of Laurie Kellogg (1994), Falling for You (1995), and An Unfinished Affair (1996). She also had minor and supporting roles in the theatrical films Telling You (1998), My Brother's War (1997), and Power 98 (1996).
In 2002, Garth starred in the sitcom What I Like About You as Valerie Tyler. Along with co-star Amanda Bynes, she appeared on the show for all four seasons. The show centered around the relationship of the Tyler sisters, along with their friendships and romances. In 2003, she starred in the television movies The Last Cowboy and the Christmas family drama Secret Santa, playing a journalist. She and the cast of Secret Santa won the 2004 CAMIE Award.
In 2005, she voiced her Beverly Hills, 90210 character Kelly Taylor, as well as an additional role in the DVD Film Family Guy Presents Stewie Griffin: The Untold Story. The ensemble cast included Seth MacFarlane, Alex Borstein, Mila Kunis, and Drew Barrymore. Garth also starred in the TV teen drama film Girl, Positive (2007), playing a teacher who was HIV positive. She and co-star Andrea Bowen (known for the series Desperate Housewives) each won a Prism Award for their performances.
In September 2008, Garth returned to the role of Kelly Taylor on the series premiere of The CW's spin-off series 90210. In the new series, Garth's character, Kelly Taylor, is now a Guidance Counselor at the fictional West Beverly High, where her half-sister Erin Silver also attends. Kelly was reintroduced with a four-year-old son, whose father is ex-boyfriend Dylan McKay. The writers were eager to have her share scenes with former Beverly Hills, 90210 co-star Shannen Doherty, who reprised her role of Brenda Walsh. Tori Spelling, who played Donna Martin in the original series, later joined the spinoff in a recurring role as well. Garth also reprised the role in the season two.
On November 21, 2008, Garth appeared on the game show Are You Smarter than a 5th Grader?. She won $100,000 for her charity, the American Heart Association, for which she is spokeswoman for its "Go Red for Women" campaign. This TV show also noted that Garth owns a horse ranch in Santa Barbara, California.
In 2009, she played the role of Natasha in Candace Bushnell's Web series of The Boardroom. She also appeared in a cameo role on the December 7 episode of the children's television show Sesame Street, entitled "Mary Mary Quite Contrary".
In January 2010, Garth starred in an iVillage web series created by NBC Universal, Garden Party, about farm life, fresh produce and healthy eating.
On February 18, 2014, it was announced that production had started on The Jennie Garth Project, a ten-episode reality television series that will air on HGTV. It chronicles Garth as she renovates a home Hollywood Hills, California for herself and her three children. The series is scheduled to premiere in September 2014.
Garth married Daniel Clark in 1994, and they divorced in 1996.
In 1995, Garth met her second husband, actor Peter Facinelli, while filming the movie An Unfinished Affair. Garth and Facinelli married on January 20, 2001, in a traditional Roman Catholic ceremony. They have three daughters: Luca Bella (born 1997), Lola Ray (born 2002), and Fiona Eve (born 2006). In March 2012, Facinelli filed for divorce. The divorce was finalized in June 2013.
|1989||Growing Pains||Denise||Episode: "Ben and Mike's Excellent Adventure"|
|1989–90||Brand New Life, AA Brand New Life||Ericka McCray||6 episodes|
|1990||Teen Angel Returns||Karrie Donato||Series|
|Beverly Hills, 90210||Kelly Taylor||292 episodes|
|1992||Melrose Place||Kelly Taylor||3 episodes|
|1994||Lies of the Heart: The Story of Laurie Kellogg||Laurie Kellogg||Movie|
|1994||Without Consent||Laura Mills||Movie|
|1995||Falling for You||Meg Crane||Movie|
|1995||Larry Sanders Show, TheThe Larry Sanders Show||Jennie Garth||Episode: "Larry's Sitcom"|
|1995||Biker Mice from Mars||Angel Revson (voice)||Episode: "Hit the Road, Jack"|
|1996||Unfinished Affair, AnAn Unfinished Affair||Sheila Hart||Movie|
|1996||Loss of Innocence, AA Loss of Innocence||Chelnicia 'Chel' Bowen||Movie|
|2000–01||$treet, TheThe $treet||Gillian Sherman||8 episodes|
|2001||Watching the Detectives||Celeste||Movie|
|2002–06||What I Like About You||Valerie Tyler||86 episodes|
|2003||Last Cowboy, TheThe Last Cowboy||Jacqueline 'Jake' Cooper||Movie|
|2003||Secret Santa||Rebecca Chandler||Movie|
|2005||Stewie Griffin: The Untold Story||Kelly Taylor (voice)||Video|
|2006||American Dad!||Trudy (voice)||Episode: "Roger n' Me"|
|2007||Girl, Positive||Sarah Bennett||Movie|
|2008–10||90210||Kelly Taylor||20 episodes|
|2011||Accidentally in Love||Annie Benchley||Movie|
|2011||Christmas Wedding Tail, AA Christmas Wedding Tail||Susan||Movie|
|2012||Jennie Garth: A Little Bit Country||Herself||Reality series|
|2012||The Eleventh Victim||Hailey Dean||Movie|
|2013||Community||Ensign||Episode: "Conventions of Space and Time"|
|2014||Mystery Girls||Charlie Contour||Sitcom; Main Role|
|1996||Power 98||Sharon Penn|
|1997||My Brother's War||Mary Fagan Bailey|
|1998||Telling You||Amber (uncredited)|
Dancing with the Stars
|Week #||Dance/Song||Judges' score||Result|
|2||Quickstep/"Suddenly I See"||7||7||7||Safe|
|4||Paso Doble/"Because We Can"||8||10||9||Safe|
Rock N' Roll/"Rockin' Robin"
|Last to be called safe|
|8||Jive/"It Takes Two"
Foxtrot/ "I've Got You Under My Skin"
|Last to be called safe|
|Tango/"The Take Over, The Breaks Over"
Awards and nominations
|1991||Young Artist Awards||Best Young Actress Supporting or Re-Occurring Role for a TV Series||Beverly Hills, 90210||Nominated[a]|
|1992||Best Young Actress Starring in a Television Series||Won|
|1999||Teen Choice Awards||Television – Choice Actress||Nominated[b]|
|2005||Character and Morality in Entertainment Awards||Best Ensemble Cast||Secret Santa||Won|
|2008||Prism Awards||Outstanding Performance in a Miniseries||Girl, Positive||Won|
- a ^ Won by Andrea Barber for her role of Kimmy Gibbler in Full House
- b ^ Won by Sarah Michelle Gellar for her role of Buffy Summers in Buffy the Vampire Slayer
- "Best Birthday Wishes for Jennie Garth". People.com. April 3, 2011. Retrieved August 16, 2012. "The 90210 star is 39 today."
- My Life: Jennie Garth
- "About Jennie Garth: Trivia and Fast Facts". jenniegarth.org. Retrieved May 31, 2013.
- "Jennie Garth". Yahoo! TV. Retrieved April 1, 2009.
- "Jennie Garth Credit Listings". Yahoo! TV. Retrieved June 22, 2009.
- "Jennie Garth Credits". TV Guide. Retrieved June 22, 2009.
- "FHM 100 Sexiest Women of 2000". FreeJose.com. Archived from the original on February 23, 2007. Retrieved January 27, 2007.
- "FHM 100 Sexiest Women of 2000". FreeJose.com. Archived from the original on March 1, 2007. Retrieved January 27, 2007.
- Ausiello, Michael (May 10, 2008). "Jennie Garth joins 90210 Remake". Ausiello Report (TV Guide). Retrieved May 21, 2008.
- "Exclusive: Tori Is Out, Shannen Is In for 90210 Remake!". E! Online. Retrieved July 31, 2008.
- Matters of the heart: Jennie Garth goes red msnbc.
- "'Sex and the City' author Candace Bushnell delivers 'The Broadroom' web series". nydailynews (New York). September 13, 2009. Retrieved May 31, 2013.
- Gallagher, Brian (January 20, 2010). "Jennie Garth Takes Us Inside Her Garden Party". Movieweb. Retrieved May 31, 2013.
- "HGTV in Production for "The Jennie Garth Project"". The Futon Critic (Press release). HGTV. February 18, 2014. Retrieved February 18, 2014.
- Ravitz, Justin (March 13, 2012). "Peter Facinelli, Jennie Garth to Divorce". Us Weekly.
- "'Jennie Garth Has Red-and-White Wedding'". ABC News. February 1, 2001. Retrieved May 16, 2010.
- "Peter Facinelli and Jennie Garth Are Divorcing". People. March 13, 2012. Retrieved March 13, 2012.
- "Peter Facinelli Files for Divorce from Jennie Garth". People. March 28, 2012. Retrieved March 28, 2012.
- "Jennie Garth & Peter Facinelli: Divorce Final - Nicest Divorce Ever". TMZ. June 12, 2013. Retrieved June 12, 2013.
- White, Chelsea (September 7, 2013). "Well that's new! Jennie Garth moves on again as she starts dating internet CEO Michael Shimbo". London: Daily UK Mail. Retrieved September 10, 2013.
- White, Chelsea. "Jennie Garth, boyfriend Michael Shimbo call it quits on brief romance: report". New York: NY Daily News. Retrieved November 19, 2013.
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Jennie Garth|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jennie Garth.|
|Awards and achievements|
Ian Ziering & Cheryl Burke
|Dancing with the Stars (US) semi-finalist
Season 5 (Fall 2007 with Derek Hough)
Marissa Jaret Winokur & Tony Dovolani