Jennifer J. Freyd (16 October 1957, Providence, Rhode Island) is an American psychologist, Professor of Psychology at the University of Oregon, and editor of the Journal of Trauma & Dissociation. Freyd is known for her theories of dynamic mental representations and shareability and her discovery of the phenomenon of representational momentum. Freyd has published over 150 articles. She is a Fellow of the American Psychological Association, the American Psychological Society, and the American Association for the Advancement of Science.
In 1979, Freyd earned a B.A. in anthropology at the University of Pennsylvania, and in 1983 earned a Ph.D. in Psychology at Stanford University. From 1983 to 1987, she was an assistant professor at Cornell University, and since 1987 has been at the University of Oregon. Awards and honors received by Freyd include the Association for Women in Psychology's 1997 Distinguished Publication Award, the Presidential Young Investigator Award from the National Science Foundation, and twice the Pierre Janet Award from the International Society for the Study of Trauma and Dissociation. In 2011, Freyd won the Award for Outstanding Service to the Field of Trauma Psychology from Division 56 (Trauma Psychology] of the American Psychological Association.
As an adult in the early 1990s, Freyd privately accused her father of abusing her during her childhood. Her parents co-founded the False Memory Syndrome Foundation to dispute Freyd's claims and the claims of others who they allege may have recovered false memories of childhood abuse in therapy.
- Freyd, J. J. (1996). Betrayal Trauma: The Logic of Forgetting Childhood Abuse. Harvard University Press, Cambridge, MA. ISBN 0-674-06805-X.
- Freyd, J. J.; Pamela J. Birrell (2013). Blind to Betrayal: Why we fool ourselves we aren't being fooled. Wiley, Somerset NJ. 
- Freyd, J. J.; Anne P. DePrince (2001). Trauma and cognitive science: a meeting of minds, science, and human experience. Haworth Press. ISBN 0-7890-1374-6.
- "Jennifer J. Freyd". Faculty home page at University of Oregon.
- "Journal of Trauma & Dissociation". Routledge Taylor & Francis Group.
- "Science of Child Sexual Abuse". Dynamic.uoregon.edu. Retrieved 2010-12-14.
- "Definition of Betrayal Trauma Theory". Dynamic.uoregon.edu. Retrieved 2010-12-14.
- Slater, Lauren; Jessica Henderson Daniel, Amy Elizabeth Banks (2003). The complete guide to mental health for women. Beacon Press. ISBN 0-8070-2925-4.
- "Jennifer J. Freyd: Abbreviated Vita".
- Freyd, JJ; DePrince AP (2001). Trauma and cognitive science: a meeting of minds, science, and human experience. Haworth Press. p. xii. ISBN 0-7890-1374-6.
- Dallam, SJ (2001). "Crisis or Creation: A Systematic Examination of 'False Memory Syndrome'". Journal of Child Sexual Abuse (Haworth Press) 9 (3/4): 9–36. doi:10.1300/J070v09n03_02. PMID 17521989.
- "Blind to Betrayal: Why we fool ourselves we aren't being fooled". ISBN 9780470604403.
[Note: Changed links in references 1 and 3 to 10:
retrieved 2014-03-08 ]