Conlee performing with The Decemberists
December 12, 1971 |
||Accordion, piano, organ, keyboard, vocals, glockenspiel, melodica
||The Decemberists, Black Prairie, From Words to Blows, Casey Neill & The Norway Rats, Reclinerland, Calobo,
Jenny Conlee is the accordionist, pianist, organist, keyboardist, melodica player, and an occasional backup singer and harmonicist for the indie rock quintet The Decemberists.
Aside from her work with the Decemberists, Conlee has made guest appearances on several records by other artists, including Hush Records artist Reclinerland, Lewi Longmire, Jerry Joseph, Buoy LaRue and many others. Before the Decemberists, she played piano for the 1990s Portland, Oregon, band Calobo. She is also a member of Portland-based Casey Neill & The Norway Rats where she plays keyboards, accordion, and glockenspiel. Her most recent project is the acoustic band Black Prairie with a number of other Portland artists.
In 2011, she appeared on Portlandia in comedic skits with Fred Armisen and Carrie Brownstein. She played a musician who unsuccessfully tries to play at every venue of a festival as a member of the band Sparkle Pony (a play on the band Sparklehorse), and is turned away as she is not on the line up of any of them.
She is married to drummer Steve Drizos. In May 2011, Conlee was diagnosed with breast cancer. Colin Meloy said that a full recovery is likely, but that she will miss some concerts. On October 20, 2011 Meloy announced via his Twitter that Conlee's cancer is in remission.
- ^ "Decemberists Bio on All Music Guide". 2007. Retrieved 2009-04-14.
- ^ Turnquist, Kristi. "'Portlandia' episode 5: Reviews and your reactions". Oregonlive.com. Retrieved 2 April 2011.
- ^ Brodeur, Melissa. "Steve Drizos". Glide Magazine. Retrieved 25 October 2010.
- ^ a b Phillips, Amy. "Decemberists Keyboardist Jenny Conlee Diagnosed With Breast Cancer". Pitchfork Media. Retrieved 4 May 2011.
- ^ Meloy, Colin. "Our girl's officially in remission". Retrieved 2 November 2011.