Eclair in 2013
|Birth name||Jenny Clare Hargreaves|
16 March 1960 |
Kuala Lumpur, Federation of Malaya (now Malaysia)
|Genres||Stand up, Television|
|Partner(s)||Geoff Powell (1982–present)|
|Notable works and roles||Grumpy Old Women (2004–2007)
I'm a Celebrity ... Get Me Out of Here (2010)
Eclair was born as Jenny Clare Hargreaves to English parents in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia where her father, Derek Hargreaves, who served as a major in the British Army, serving in the Royal Marines, Parachute Regiment, Green Howards, Trucial Oman Scouts, and BRIXMIS, had been posted in 1952. Eclair returned to England when she was two years old, and she started her education at Queen Mary school (now King Edward VII and Queen Mary School) in Lytham St Annes. She studied at the Manchester Polytechnic School of Theatre and joined a cabaret group variously referred to as Kathy Lacreme and the Rum Babas, and Cathy La Crème and the Rum Babies.
After moving to London her first job was at Camberwell Arts College as a life model which she did for about 2 terms. Then she saw an advert in 'The Stage' looking for novelty acts, and she found work doing punk poems. In 1989, when she was named the Time Out Cabaret Award winner, she said it "was nice because its the first time I've ever won without having to run 100 metres balancing an egg on a spoon."
Jenny starred in the ITV drama The Bill and appeared in the early 1990s Channel 4 comedy series Packet of Three with Frank Skinner, as well as the follow-up series Packing Them In. In 1995 she became the first female solo winner of the Edinburgh Fringe Festival's Perrier Comedy Award. In 1997 she played 'Josie' in the stage play 'Steaming'. 2001 saw her first novel 'Camberwell Beauty'.
Grumpy Old Women
She helped develop and regularly appeared in the show Grumpy Old Women and a variety of successful spin-offs.
Eclair has appeared on BBC Two's Grumpy Old Women and its various spin-off shows. In 2006, Jenny starred in the stage-show Grumpy Old Women Live! alongside Dillie Keane and Linda Robson. The show was co-written by Eclair and Judith Holder. The spring saw a sell out national tour, June and July a run at the Lyric Theatre in London's West End and the autumn will see another national tour.
From 2011 to 2012, Eclair returned as a panellist on Loose Women, a show she was a panellist on in 2003. On 30 May 2012, Jenny appeared on her last Loose Women show. She was replaced by actress Shobna Gulati.
As a contestant
|Stage||Air Date||Dive||Judges' Scores||Result|
|Andy Banks||Jo Brand||Leon Taylor||Total|
|Heat 4||25 January 2014||Forward pike fall (5 metre)||7.0||8.0||6.5||21.5||Eliminated|
Note* Scores are out of a possible 30 points in total.
- Room 101 (26 October 2005) - Guest
- That Sunday Night Show (30 January 2011, 2 October 2011, 19 February 2012) - Panellist
- The Chase: Celebrity Special (5 November 2011) - Contestant
- Saturday Cookbook (7 July 2012) - Guest
- Let's Do Lunch with Gino & Mel (19 July 2012) - Guest
- Pointless Celebrities (12 December 2012) - Contestant
- Tipping Point: Lucky Stars (30 June 2013) - Contestant
- Draw It! (2014) - Contestant
Until April 2008, she hosted a weekend talk show on LBC 97.3. Her other radio credits include appearing on BBC Radio 4 in the Just a Minute quiz and afternoon plays, various comedy shows on BBC 7 and regularly has covered for Sandi Toksvig on LBC's weekday lunchtime chat show (now defunct).
She has also hosted her own show on the London radio station LBC Radio and starred in various stage productions.
- The Book of Bad Behaviour (non-fiction) Virgin, 1994. ISBN 0-86369-856-5; ISBN 978-0-86369-856-9
- Camberwell Beauty (novel) Little, Brown, 2000. ISBN 0-316-85318-6; ISBN 978-0-316-85318-7
- Sit-Down Comedy (contributor to anthology, ed Malcolm Hardee & John Fleming) Ebury Press/Random House, 2003. ISBN 0-09-188924-3; ISBN 978-0-09-188924-1
- Having a Lovely Time (novel) Little, Brown, 2005. ISBN 0-7515-3605-9; ISBN 978-0-7515-3605-8
- "Life, Death and Vanilla Slices" 2012 (novel) ISBN 1847444938; ISBN 978-1847444936
Eclair is in a long term relationship with Geoff Powell, but is not married, having stated that marriages are naff. She has a daughter named Phoebe, to whom she referred during her appearance on Room 101. Phoebe (b. 1989) is now attending the University of Oxford.
- "Researcha profile". Web.researcha.com. Retrieved 23 September 2011.
- Channel 4, Empire's Children
- Programme notes, Thirty Somehow, Gilded Balloon Edinburgh 1990
- "Two more stars confirmed for 'I'm A Celeb' – I'm A Celebrity News – TV". Digital Spy. 17 November 2010. Retrieved 23 September 2011.
- 15:00 (30 August 2011). "Eclair sitting in for Danny Baker on BBC london 94.9". BBC. Retrieved 23 September 2011.
- "Salt TV ads". Salt.gov.uk. 6 November 2009. Retrieved 23 September 2011.
- Interview by Stuart Husband (7 December 2008). "This much I know: Jenny Eclair, comedian, 48, London, The". The Guardian (UK). Retrieved 23 September 2011.