No. 99 Green Bay Packers
|Date of birth:April 26, 1990|
|Place of birth: Dayton, Ohio|
|High school: Huber Heights (OH) Wayne|
|College: Michigan State|
|NFL Draft: 2012 / Round: 2 / Pick: 51|
|Debuted in 2012 for the Green Bay Packers|
|Roster status: Active|
Career highlights and awards
Career NFL statistics as of Week 17, 2012
Jerel Worthy (born April 26, 1990) is an American football defensive end for the Green Bay Packers of the National Football League (NFL). He played college football for Michigan State University, and was recognized as an All-American. The Packers selected him in the second round of the 2012 NFL Draft.
Worthy was born in Huber Heights, Ohio. He originally attended Chaminade-Julienne High School in Dayton, Ohio but then transferred to Wayne High School in Huber Heights, where he played high school football for the Wayne Warriors. As a senior for the Warriors, Worthy recorded 50 tackles, 10.5 sacks and 12 hurries. Worthy was also responsible for seven pass breakups and two fumble recoveries 
Worthy's performance earned him a spot on the Superprep and Prepstars Midwest Teams.
Coming out of High School, Worthy was ranked the 53rd Best Defensive Tackle by Rivals.com, 78th by Scout.com, and 93rd by Scouts Inc. He was also invited to play June 14 Big 33 Football Classic. Worthy received scholarship offers from Michigan State, Akron, Cincinnati, Marshall, Nebraska, and Ohio. He was six foot two inches, 288 pounds, ran the 40-yard dash in 4.9 seconds who bench pressed a maximum of 335 pounds and squatted a maximum of 470 pounds. He had a 2.8 Grade-point average.
Worthy attended Michigan State University, where he played for the Michigan State Spartans football team from 2009 to 2011. Worthy was Redshirted for his freshman year but was still named the Scout team defensive player of the week versus Eastern Michigan. Coming on to the scene in 2009, he started 11 of 13 games and ranked second on the team for tackles for loss and sacks. He was named a midseason All-Big Ten All American by Phil Steele. At the end of the season, he was named as a freshman All-American
As a Sophomore, Worthy started all 13 games at defensive tackle and lead the linemen with 40 tackles, eight of which went for a loss. He also had a team best four sacks. He was a collegefootballnews.com All-Sophomore second team selection, honorable mention Big-Ten selection by the coaches and media, and was presented Michigan State's Outstanding Underclassman Award.
For what turned out to be his final season at Michigan State, Worthy had 30 tackles (10.5 for loss), 3.5 sacks, 10 Quarterback Hurries, and 14 hits during the regular season. He was named a consensus first-team All-American honors by the Associated Press. He was also an All-Big ten selection from the coaches and media. Worthy became the first Defensive Tackle since Ronald Curl in 1971 to be named an All-American at Michigan State.
|Ht||Wt||40-yd dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert||Broad||BP|
|6 ft 23⁄8 in||309 lb||5.08 s||4.56 s||7.60 s||28 1⁄2 in||8 ft 9 in|
|All results from NFL Combine|
Worthy was predicted to be a late first round to second round draft pick. Scouts talked about his size and called him thick and powerful. They also stated that he had enough speed to "shoot through the gap" Scouts also discussed his inconsistency and that his reputation was better than his actual production. It was also stated that he struggled in space and could not translate his weight enough to make tackles on the ball carrier.
Green Bay Packers
- NFL Draft Scout
- Prisco, Pete (May 1, 2011). "Flash forward: Top 32 picks for the 2012 NFL Draft". CBSSports.com.
- Pauline, Tony (May 3, 2011). "Stanford's Luck headlines early look at top 2012 draft prospects". Sports Illustrated.
- Reuter, Chad (May 4, 2011). "2012 mock draft: First look with Luck and Heels". CBSSports.com.
- "Jerel Worthy". Michigan State University. Retrieved May 7, 2012.
- "Jerel Worthy Profile". Rivals.com. Retrieved May 7, 2012.
- Steele, Phil (2009). "Phil Steele". Phil Steele. Retrieved May 7, 2012.
- "2009 Freshman All-American". AOL. December 16, 2009. Retrieved May 7, 2012.
- "AP All-American football team". Associated Press. December 13, 2011. Retrieved May 7, 2012.
- Slagter, Josh (January 4, 2012). "Report: Michigan State All-American Jerel Worthy hires agent, headed to NFL". Mlive.com. Retrieved May 7, 2012.
- "Jerel Worthy 2012 NFL Draft". ESPN. Retrieved May 8, 2012.
- "NFL Events: Combine Player- Jerel Worthy". Retrieved May 8, 2012.
- Cambell, Charlie. "Jerel Worthy Scouting Report". Walterfootball. Retrieved May 8, 2012.
- "Packers trade up to take Worthy". Associated Press. Retrieved May 8, 2012.