Jeremy Black (historian)
Jeremy Black MBE (born 30 October 1955) is a British historian and a Professor of History at the University of Exeter. He is a senior fellow at the Center for the Study of America and the West at the Foreign Policy Research Institute. He is the author of over 100 books, principally but not exclusively on 18th-century British politics and international relations.
He then taught at Durham University from 1980 as a lecturer, then professor before moving to Exeter University in 1996. He has lectured extensively in Australasia, Canada, Denmark, France, Germany, Italy and the U.S.. He was awarded an MBE for services to stamp design. Black is also an advisory fellow of the Barsanti Military History Center at the University of North Texas and was the keynote speaker at the centre's 2008 autumn conference.
- Editor of Archives, the journal of the British Records Association, 1989-2005.
- Member of the Council of the British Records Association, 1989-2005
- Member of the Council of the Royal Historical Society, 1993-1996 and 1997-2000
- Member of the Council of the List and Index Society, 1997–present
- Editorial board of History Today, International History Review, Journal of Military History, Media History and the Journal of the Royal United Services Institute (now the RUSI Journal)
Black has authored over 100 books throughout his career.
A comprehensive list of Black's publications is available on his website.
- The War of 1812 in the Age of Napoleon. London, New York: Continuum International Publishing Group. 2010. ISBN 978-0-8264-3612-2.
- London: a history. Carnegie Publishing. 2009.
- What If?: Counterfactualism and the Problem of History. Social Affairs Unit. 2008.
- The Curse of History. Social Affairs Unit. 2008.
- Eighteenth Century Britain, 1688-1783. Palgrave. 2008.
- George III: America's Last King. Yale. 2007.
- Parliament and Foreign Policy in the Eighteenth Century. CUP. 2004.
- The English Seaborne Empire. Yale. 2004.
- Kings, Nobles and Commoners: States and Societies in Early Modern Europe. I.B. Tauris. 2004.
- Rethinking Military History. Routledge. 2004.
- World War Two: A Military History. Routledge. 2003.
- Italy and the Grand Tour. Yale University Press. 2003.
- France and the Grand Tour. Palgrave. 2003.
- Visions of the World: A History of Maps. Mitchell Beazley. 2003.
- The British Abroad: The Grand Tour in the Eighteenth Century. Sutton. 2003.
- From Louis XIV to Napoleon: The Fate of a Great Power. Routledge. 2002.
- George III: America's Last King. New Haven and London: Yale University Press. 2008. ISBN 978-0-300-13621-0.
- editor: War in the Modern World 1815-2000. Routledge. 2003.
- War: An Illustrated World History. Sutton. 2003.
- Warfare in the Eighteenth Century. Cassell. 2002.
- The World in the Twentieth Century. Longman. 2002.
- America as a Military Power 1775-1882. Greenwood. 2002.
- editor: European Warfare 1494-1660. Palgrave. 2002.
- European International Relations 1648-1815. Palgrave. 2002.
- Europe and the World 1650-1830. Routledge. 2002.
- with Donald MacRaild: Nineteenth-Century Britain. Palgrave. 2002.
- A History of the British Isles (2nd ed.). Palgrave. 2002.
- editor: European Warfare 1815-2000. Palgrave. 2002.
- Warfare in the Western World 1882-1975. Indiana University Press/Acumen. 2001.
- War in the New Century. Continuum. 2001.
- Western Warfare 1775-1882. Indiana University Press. 2001.
- Walpole in Power: Britain 's First Prime Minister. Sutton. 2001.
- The Politics of James Bond: from Fleming's Novels to the Big Screen. Greenwood. 2001.
- British Diplomats and Diplomacy 1688-1800. University of Exeter Press. 2001.
- The English Press 1621-1861. Sutton. 2001.
- Eighteenth-Century Britain 1688-1783. Palgrave. 2001.
- A Military Revolution? Military Change and European Society 1550-1800. Basingstoke: Macmillan Education. 1991. ISBN 0-333-51906-X.
- www.jeremyblack.co.uk Official website
- www.standpointmag.co.uk "Jeremy Black: Underrated", column by Andrew Roberts, December 2008
- Works by or about Jeremy Black (historian) in libraries (WorldCat catalog)
- Jeremy Black, "Islam and the West: A Historical Perspective," Foreign Policy Research Institute, Volume 4, Number 2, May 2003
- War Disease and the World 1450-2000, 4 May 2005
- Jeremy Black, H-France Forum Volume 2, Issue 3 (Summer 2007), No. 3
- Great Military Leaders - Interview with author Jeremy Black, 14 August 2008
- Jeremy Black, "What Students Need to Know About War, and Why", 25 February 2009
- Browning, Reed (2004). "An Editor in Review". Archives 29: 31–58.
- from http://www.standpointmag.co.uk/node/712/full/ www.standpointmag.co.uk, accessed on 14 November 2009
- from http://www.jeremyblack.co.uk/all-publications.html, accessed on 2 November 2009