Jeremy Browne, 11th Marquess of Sligo
Jeremy Ulick Browne, 11th Marquess of Sligo (4 June 1939 – 13 July 2014), styled Earl of Altamont until 1991, was the 11th holder of the Marquessate of Sligo, a title created in 1800 in the Peerage of Ireland. Until the House of Lords Act 1999 he was entitled to sit in the House of Lords under the Barony of Mounteagle, created in the Peerage of the United Kingdom.
Jeremy Browne was the son of Denis Browne, 10th Marquess of Sligo. He was educated at St. Columba's College, Dublin, and the Royal Agricultural College. He was married on 26 October 1961 to Jennifer June Lushington Cooper, daughter of Derek Cooper. Lady Sligo is the stepdaughter of the former Viscountess Ruthven of Canberra, and her father became in 1952 the stepfather of two young stepsons, now the present Earl of Gowrie and his brother the journalist and Islamic scholar Malise Ruthven. The Marquess and Marchioness had five daughters. In May 2014 his book A Life at Westport House: 50 Years A-Going was released. His obituary was published in the Daily Telegraph.
|Ancestors of Jeremy Browne, 11th Marquess of Sligo|
- ALTAMONT/Westport/Mayo Notice of death of Jeremy Browne, 11th Marquess of Sligo, rip.ie; accessed 15 July 2014.
- Westport House bookshop website, westporthouse.ie; accessed 15 July 2014.
- The Browne Family on www.westporthouse.ie
- Jeremy Ulick Browne, 11th Marquess of Sligo on thepeerage.com
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by Jeremy Browne, 11th Marquess of Sligo
|Peerage of Ireland|
Denis Edward Browne
|Marquess of Sligo
Sebastian Ulick Browne