||This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (March 2015)|
7 April 1978 |
|Education||BComm (with Distinction) in Finance from University of Calgary, MBA from Queen's School of Business, CFA from CFA Institute|
|Notable work||Exploiting Chaos - 150 Ways to Spark Innovation During Times of Change (Gotham/Penguin)|
|Title||Chief Trend Hunter|
|Awards||Graduate of the Last Decade Award from University of Calgary|
Jeremy Gutsche (born April 7, 1978) is a Canadian innovation expert, entrepreneur, author, and CEO, founder and Chief Trend Hunter of TrendHunter.com. TrendHunter.com is described by The Independent as "the world's biggest online cool hunting magazine". Currently, TrendHunter.com has 156,000 members and 60,000,000 monthly views.
Gutsche has been described as "a new breed of trend spotter" by The Guardian, an "Oracle" by the Globe and Mail and "on the forefront of cool" by MTV. He is frequently sourced by the media for his opinions on the next big thing, including The Economist, Fox Business, CBC News, and Entertainment Tonight.
In 2006, Gutsche launched Trend Hunter, an online trend community and series of trend publications. The website is crowd sourced by a global network of 156,000 contributors who identify and submit emerging ideas as articles. Staff editors curate the most compelling articles for editing before publishing the articles on the front page. The website uses statistics from its audience to score each idea on metrics such as popularity, activity, freshness and demographics. The purpose is to use the power of the crowd to identify trends and patterns, which are published in trend reports on TrendHunter.com and its related website, TrendReports.com.
In August 2012, the company passed one billion total page views. In the third quarter of 2014 TrendHunter.com surpassed two billion page views.
Trend Hunter Research
In 2007, Gutsche launched Trend Hunter Research to leverage the viewership data and content insights from the Trend Hunter community. This service was later expanded to include subscription trend reports, an interactive trend platform and an advisory service used by a variety of consumer brands. Gutsche publishes a free weekly newsletter for journalists, entrepreneurs and marketers.
Jeremy Gutsche is an international keynote speaker in the categories of innovation, big data, strategy and brand marketing, represented by The Lavin Agency. Since 2008 Gutsche has given 400 keynotes around the world to 269,000 people. Gutsche launched his speaking career via his website, book, and large events like the 2010 World Education Congress where he was the closing speaker for 3,500 meeting planners. He is best known for his Exploiting Chaos keynote, based on his similarly-titled book. Gutsche's latest keynote, ‘Better and Faster,’ is based on his upcoming second novel and teaches audiences how to break free of neurological traps and use key patterns of opportunity to find their next big idea.
Gutsche's book, Exploiting Chaos: 150 Ways to Spark Innovation During Times of Change, is a Gotham title (a Penguin Group subsidiary). Exploiting Chaos was released in September, 2009. The book was named one of Inc Magazine's Best Books for Business Owners and ranked #1 Most Popular at 800 CEO Read from September to December 2009. In paperback, it is published in seven languages, including Cantonese, Spanish, German, Portuguese, Korean, and English.
In 2012, Gutsche re-released Exploiting Chaos as an interactive video ebook. The ebook version was made free online or downloadable for the price of a tweet or Facebook like. The website reported 300,000 downloads of the free version.
Gutsche’s second novel, "Better and Faster: The Proven Path to Unstoppable Ideas," educates brands, businesses and entrepreneurs how to use six patterns of opportunity to achieve their full potential. Gutsche illustrates with stories from top brands and CEOs of companies such as Zara, BlockBuster and Smith Corona. The novel is set to release in March, 2015.
- 2011 Cisco Innovation Excellence Award
- 2011 BDC Young Entrepreneur Award - Ontario
- 2010 Axiom Business Book Award - Gold Medal in Success / Motivation
- 2010 University of Calgary Graduate of the Decade Award
- 2009 #1 Most Popular Book on 800 CEO Read 
- 2009 Inc. Best Book for Business Owners 
- 2009 Amazon Best Seller in Business 
Prior to starting Trend Hunter, Jeremy Gutsche was a management consultant with the Monitor Group and was Capital One's Director of Upmarket in Canada. At Capital One, he led his team to grow a $1 billion business.
He holds an MBA from Queen's University, studied innovation at the Stanford Graduate School of Business, Graduate of the Decade from University of Calgary with a BCom in Finance (With Distinction) and is a Chartered Financial Analyst.
- Jeremy Gutsche Personal Site
- Exploiting Chaos
- Better and Faster
- Trend Hunter Research
- The Independent, Throw Out the Goji Berries, February 19, 2008 
- The Guardian, "The Shape of Things to Come", December 18, 2007 
- The Globe and Mail, "Trend Hunter Gets Help from Calgary Carpenter", September 9, 2008 
- MTV News, "Trend Spotting", June 22, 2006 
- The Economist, "World in 2008: Six of the Best", November 2007 
- Fox Business, "Sarah Palin Fever", September 14, 2008 
- CBC News, Trends in 2009 
- Entertainment Tonight, January 18, 2008, "Latest Tech With Trend Spotter Jeremy Gutsche" 
- Entertainment Tonight, March 11, 2008, "Travel Trends With Jeremy Gutsche" 
- Trend Hunter, "About Trend Hunter", September 18, 2012
- Trend Hunter, "Trend Hunter Hits One Billion Views", August 9, 2012
- "Awards & Bio"
- Youtube, "Jeremy Gutsche: MPI Closing Session Video"
- YouTube, "Innovation Keynote Speaker Jeremy Gutsche - 30 Minute Speech"
- Business Week, "Exploiting Chaos -- and Celebrating Failure", September 8, 2009 
- Inc Magazine, "The Best Books for Business Owners of 2009", December, 2009 
- TrendHunter.com, "800 CEO Read: EXPLOITING CHAOS Rated #1 Most Popular Book", December, 2009 
- Exploiting Chaos eBook, January, 2012
- "Better and Faster: The Proven Path to Unstoppable Ideas
- BDC Press Release, "Jeremy Gutsche, "BDC Young Entrepreneur Award winner for Ontario, receives Cisco Innovation Excellence Award", May 4, 2011 
- Telegraph Journal, "TrendHunter: Always looking for next big thing", May 9, 2011 
- Independent Publisher, "Announcing Results of the 3rd Annual Axiom Business Book Awards", March 24, 2010 
- University of Calgary, "Arch Awards: 2010 Recipients Announced", May 10, 2010 
- Trend Hunter, "800 CEO Read: EXPLOITING CHAOS Rated #1 Most Popular Book", Sep 14, 2009 
- Exploiting Chaos
- Amazon, "Exploiting Chaos: 150 Ways to Spark Innovation During Times of Change" 
- The Sun, "What's Cool Before it's Cool"