October 1, 1985 |
|Bats: Left||Throws: Left|
|May 28, 2011 for the Cincinnati Reds|
(through 2013 season)
|Earned run average||3.34|
Jeremy M. Horst (born October 1, 1985) is an American Major League Baseball pitcher in the Philadelphia Phillies organization. He attended Iowa Western Community College and Armstrong Atlantic State University. The Cincinnati Reds drafted him in the 21st round of the 2007 Major League Baseball Draft.
Horst played highschool ball at Des Lacs-Burlington High School in Des lacs, North Dakota where they took second in state his senior year, behind Horst's pitching. That same year he was named Mr. Baseball in North Dakota. He also played Legion baseball for the Burlington Bulldogs.
Horst started his professional career in 2007. He played one game for the Gulf Coast League Reds and 16 for rookie-class Billings in '07, going a combined 3–2 with a 3.24 ERA in 17 relief appearances.
He played 2008 for the single-A Dayton Dragons, starting 10 games and appearing in 36 total. He went 8–2 with a 2.38 ERA. He started all of his games in 2009. In 23 starts for the single-A advanced Sarasota Reds, he went 6–13 with a 3.25 ERA; in 5 starts for double-A Carolina, he went 1–4 with a 6.21 ERA.
Horst started 2010 with the single-A advanced Lynchburg Hillcats. In 11 relief appearances, he was 0–2 with a 4.30 ERA. He was promoted to Carolina, and in 27 relief appearances, he was 3–2 with a 2.09 ERA. Horst was then promoted to triple-A Louisville and went 1–0 with a 2.51 ERA in 6 appearances (2 starts).
Horst made his debut on May 28, 2011 in relief of Bronson Arroyo against the Atlanta Braves. Horst pitched the 4th and 5th and two outs of the 6th before being relieved by José Arredondo. His first major league strike out was of Jordan Schafer, his first batter faced. In total, Horst pitched 2.2 innings, giving up 2 hits and one run, walking 0 and striking out 4. He also got his first major league hit, an RBI single from Cristhian Martínez. The Reds ended up losing in the 12th inning by a score of 7 to 6. He was optioned on June 24 when the Reds activated Aroldis Chapman from the DL. Horst was recalled on July 15 when the Reds placed José Arredondo on the DL.
Horst was traded to the Philadelphia Phillies on January 25, 2012 for infielder Wilson Valdez. On June 28, Horst and Brian Sanches were called up after Chad Qualls was Designated for Assignment and Joe Savery was optioned to Triple-A Lehigh Valley. In his debut with the Phillies, he pitched a scoreless ninth against the Pirates.
- Jeremy Horst, MiLB.com.
- Injuries come at bad time for Willis, Rotoworld, May 28, 2011.
- Cox, Chris (2011-05-29). "Horst has debut to remember". reds.com. Retrieved 2011-05-29.
- Sheldon, Mark (June 24, 2011). "Reds activate Chapman from disabled list". MLB.com. Retrieved March 7, 2014.
- Sheldon, Mark (July 16, 2011). "Reds send Arredondo to DL, recall Horst". MLB.com. Retrieved March 7, 2014.
- Seidman, Corey (June 17, 2013). "Phillies place Horst on DL with elbow strain". CSNPhilly.com. Retrieved March 7, 2014.
- Baer, Bill (October 1, 2013). "2013 Phillies Report Card: Jeremy Horst". Crashburn Alley. Retrieved March 7, 2014.
- Gelb, Matt (June 1, 2014). "Darin Ruf falls victim to roster crunch". The Philadelphia Inquirer. Retrieved June 1, 2014.