Jeremy John Phillips (born 25 December 1951) is a British academic, author and commentator in intellectual property (IP) law. He is reported to be "a respected IP academic" and "a well-known figure among IP lawyers."
He was consultant at the law firm Slaughter and May until May 2007 and is working as a consultant at the law firm Olswang since 1 June 2007. He is visiting professor at the Faculty of Laws of University College London (UCL), the Bournemouth Law School, Bournemouth University, and the University of Alicante. He was professorial fellow at the Queen Mary Intellectual Property Research Institute from 2003 to 2006.
He launched the Managing Intellectual Property magazine and sold it to Euromoney Publications in 1991. He also founded the magazines Patent World, Trademark World and Copyright World and cofounded the IPKat weblog. He is also an active contributor to the new Afro-IP blog and the Class 46 blog on European Trade Mark law. He is editor of the Journal of Intellectual Property Law & Practice (JIPLP), European Trade Mark Reports and European Copyright and Design Reports journals. He is a council member of the Intellectual Property Institute.
- Employees' Inventions in the United Kingdom, ESC Pub., 1982, ISBN 0-906214-11-4, coauthored with M J Hoolahan
- An Introduction to Intellectual Property Law, Butterworths Law, 1995, ISBN 0-406-04515-1, coauthored with Alison Firth
- Trade Mark Law: A Practical Anatomy, Oxford University Press, 2003 ISBN 0-19-926796-0
- As source for his middle name, see e.g. CTM-Bulletin 2009/019, 25 May 2009, Part: A.1. Consulted on March 6, 2010.
- jeremyphillips.blogspot.com, Welcome!. Consulted on March 24, 2007.
- Ben Moshinsky, Olswang returns to Slaughters to bolster IP team, The Lawyer, May 14, 2007. Consulted on May 16, 2007.
- Charlotte Edmond, Olswang hires Slaughters consultant for IP boost, Legal Week, May 14, 2007. Consulted on May 16, 2007.
- Olswang web site, IP expert Jeremy Phillips joins Olswang, Olswang news, May 14, 2007. Consulted on July 1, 2007.
- Magister Lvcentinvs web site, Teaching staff. Consulted on March 24, 2007.
- Jeremy Phillips, A Day in the Life of an IP Blog-Meister, WIPO Magazine, April 2008.
- Intellectual Property Institute web site, Who we are. Consulted on March 27, 2007.
- Jeremy Phillips at the University College London
- Jeremy Phillips at IPKat
- Jeremy Phillips at the Bournemouth University (version archived by the Internet Archive on September 29, 2007)
- Jeremy Phillips at the Queen Mary Intellectual Property Research Institute (version archived by the Internet Archive on April 18, 2007)