Renner at the Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters Australian premiere, January 2013
|Born||Jeremy Lee Renner
January 7, 1971
Modesto, California, U.S.
Jeremy Lee Renner (born January 7, 1971) is an American actor, singer-songwriter, film producer, former makeup artist, and musician. He is best known for his roles in The Hurt Locker (2008) in which he received an Academy Award nomination for Best Actor, and for playing Hawkeye in Marvel's The Avengers (2012). He also appeared in commercially successful films such as Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol (2011), The Bourne Legacy (2012), and Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters (2013). Throughout the 2000s, Renner appeared largely in independent films such as Dahmer (2002) and Neo Ned (2005). He also appeared in supporting roles in bigger films, S.W.A.T. (2003) and 28 Weeks Later (2007). He then turned out a much-praised performance in The Town (2010), for which he received an Academy Award nomination for Best Supporting Actor.
Renner was born in Modesto, California, the first child of Valerie (née Tague) and Lee Renner, who managed a bowling alley. His parents married as teenagers and divorced when he was ten. He has five younger siblings. His ancestry includes German, English, Scottish, Swedish, and Irish. He graduated from both Fred C. Beyer High School and Modesto Junior College.
Renner's film debut came in 1995 when he played an underachieving student in the cult favorite National Lampoon's Senior Trip. Although the film was critically panned, he went on to guest star on two television shows, Deadly Games and Strange Luck and had a minor role in the television movie, A Friend's Betrayal as the friend of Brian Austin Green's character. Over the next few years, Renner had guest roles in Zoe, Duncan, Jack and Jane (1999), The Net (1999), The Time of Your Life (1999) and Angel (2000). Renner also had a small role on an episode of CSI: Crime Scene Investigation in 2001. In between acting roles, Renner worked as a makeup artist to make ends meet.
Early success: 2002–2008
In 2002, Renner had a starring role in the film Dahmer playing serial-killer Jeffrey Dahmer. He found the role a challenge to cope with after he had finished shooting after seeing how easily Dahmer took advantage of his victims. His performance was well received, and he gained a nomination for the Independent Spirit Award for Best Lead Male. He also appeared in Pink's 2003 music video for her song "Trouble" as a Bad Boy Sheriff. Renner went on to appear in S.W.A.T. as the former police partner of Colin Farrell's character in 2003 and The Heart Is Deceitful Above All Things in 2004.
In 2005, Renner starred with Julia Stiles and Forest Whitaker in A Little Trip to Heaven, with roles in North Country and 12 and Holding. He next starred as a neo-Nazi skinhead who is admitted into a psychiatric hospital in Neo Ned opposite Gabrielle Union. The film won all of the awards it was nominated for at festivals, including the Palm Beach International Film Festival Award for Best Actor. Renner also had a small (though uncredited) role in skateboard film Lords of Dogtown as the manager of Emile Hirsch's character. In 2006 he starred with Ginnifer Goodwin in Love Comes to the Executioner.
Renner had supporting roles in 2007 in the critically acclaimed The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford as Wood Hite, the cousin of outlaw Jesse James portrayed by Brad Pitt, and as Sergeant Doyle in 28 Weeks Later. He appeared alongside Minnie Driver in Take and guest starred as a patient in an episode of House as a reckless rock musician. Renner had a role in the pilot of The Oaks but the series was not picked up.
After starring with Dallas Roberts in the comedy-drama Ingenious and starring in the short-lived television series The Unusuals, Renner went on to achieve critical success for his portrayal as bomb disposal expert, Sergeant William James in the 2009 Iraq war thriller The Hurt Locker (directed by Kathryn Bigelow). The role earned him several awards in the Best Actor category and his first Academy Award nomination for Best Actor as well a Screen Actors Guild Award nomination.
In 2010, Renner's performance in Ben Affleck's The Town alongside Jon Hamm, Blake Lively, Slaine and Michael Yebba garnered him rave reviews and his second Academy Award nomination for Best Supporting Actor. He also gained his first Golden Globe nomination for Best Supporting Actor and his second Screen Actors Guild nomination. The Hollywood Reporter named Renner as one of the young male actors who are "pushing – or being pushed" into taking over Hollywood as the new "A-List".
In 2011, Renner had an uncredited cameo appearance as Hawkeye in Thor for familiarity with his character for The Avengers, which was released in May 2012. In December 2011,. he starred alongside Tom Cruise in Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol, the fourth installment of the Mission: Impossible series, as a new addition to Ethan Hunt's team.
In 2012, Renner starred as Hawkeye in the Marvel film, The Avengers. The same year, he also starred in the fourth film in the Bourne franchise, The Bourne Legacy, which was written and directed by Tony Gilroy. Renner played a new lead character, Aaron Cross, in place of Jason Bourne, who was played by Matt Damon in the first three films. Renner has expressed interest in doing a Bourne film with Damon in the future, stating that "[it] would be kick-ass. I love Matt".
Renner starred in the R-rated action horror film Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters (released in January 2013), in which he and Gemma Arterton played Hansel and Gretel, respectively. The 3-D film was set 15 years after Hansel and Gretel killed the witch who kidnapped them.
As well as acting, Renner is a singer-songwriter, guitarist, keyboardist, and drummer. Early in his acting career, he performed in the Sons of Ben. For the soundtrack of North Country he performed "I Drink Alone". In the 2006 films Love Comes to the Executioner and The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, Renner performed the songs "American Pie" and "Good Ole Rebel". He also appeared in music videos for "Trouble" by P!nk and "Scenes on Sunset" by Brother Sal.
Renner and his girlfriend, Canadian model Sonni Pacheco, have a daughter, Ava Berlin, born March 28, 2013.
Renner runs a successful house-renovating business with his best friend and fellow actor, Kristoffer Winters. In addition to acting, he has studied disciplines including world religion, criminology, Arnis (Filipino martial arts), and Muay Thai martial arts.
|1995||National Lampoon's Senior Trip||Dags|
|2001||Fish in a Barrel||Remy|
|2004||Heart Is Deceitful Above All Things, TheThe Heart Is Deceitful Above All Things||Emerson|
|2005||Little Trip to Heaven, AA Little Trip to Heaven||Fred|
|2005||North Country||Bobby Sharp|
|2005||12 and Holding||Gus Maitland|
|2005||Lords of Dogtown||Jay Adams Manager||Uncredited|
|2006||Love Comes to the Executioner||Chick Prigusivac|
|2007||The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford||Wood Hite|
|2007||28 Weeks Later||Sergeant Doyle|
|2008||Hurt Locker, TheThe Hurt Locker||Sergeant First Class William James|
|2010||Town, TheThe Town||James "Jem" Coughlin|
|2011||Thor||Clint Barton/Hawkeye||Cameo (uncredited)|
|2011||Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol||William Brandt|
|2012||Avengers, TheThe Avengers||Clint Barton/Hawkeye|
|2012||The Bourne Legacy||Aaron Cross/Kenneth J. Kitsom|
|2013||Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters||Hansel|
|2013||The Immigrant||Orlando the Magician||Completed|
|2013||American Hustle||Carmine Polito||Completed|
|2014||Kill the Messenger||Gary Webb||Filming|
|1995||Deadly Games||Tod||Episode: "Boss"|
|1996||Strange Luck||Jojo Picard||Episode: "Blinded by the Son"|
|1996||Friend's Betrayal, AA Friend's Betrayal||Simon||TV movie|
|1997||Nightmare Come True, AA Nightmare Come True||Steven Zarn||TV movie|
|1999||Zoe, Duncan, Jack & Jane||Jack||Pilot episode|
|1999||Net, TheThe Net||Ted Nida||Episode: "Chem Lab"|
|1999||Time of Your Life||Taylor||Episode: "The Time the Truth Was Told"|
|2001||CSI: Crime Scene Investigation||Roger Jennings||Episode: "Alter Boys"|
|2002||It Factor, TheThe It Factor||Himself|
|2007||House||Jimmy Quidd||Episode: "Games"|
|2008||Oaks, TheThe Oaks||Dan||Pilot episode|
|2009||Unusuals, TheThe Unusuals||Detective Jason Walsh||10 episodes|
|2011||Robot Chicken||Sergeant First Class William James (voice)||Episode "Fool's Goldfinger"|
|2012||Saturday Night Live||Host||Episode: "Jeremy Renner/Maroon 5"|
Awards and nominations
- "Renner drives into action". Dudley News. December 31, 2011. Retrieved April 16, 2013.
- "Today in History - Jan. 7". U-T San Diego. January 7, 2011. Retrieved April 16, 2013.
- According to the State of California. California Birth Index, 1905-1995. Center for Health Statistics, California Department of Health Services, Sacramento, California. Searchable at 
- Walden, Celia (December 11, 2011). "Jeremy Renner on Mission Impossible 4". The Daily Telegraph (London).
- Rowlandmrowland, Marijke (March 7, 2010). "Renner has taken a long, slow road to fame – Jeremy Renner". Modbee.com. Retrieved February 22, 2012.
- Lippolis, Raffaella (June 17, 2012). "Jeremy Renner, l'antiero dagli occhi di ghiaccio". Cinefilos.it (in Italian). Retrieved April 16, 2013.
- Pardee, Thomas; John Holland (Saturday, January 5, 2008). "Actor Jeremy Renner escapes injury as huge tree topples". The Modesto Bee. Retrieved February 25, 2010.
- "Jeremy Renner Finally Gets Some Action". details.com. Retrieved December 11, 2011.
- Braun, Liz. "Renner tackling bigger missions | Movies | Entertainment". Toronto Sun. Retrieved February 22, 2012.
- "Jeremy Renner becomes a big brother again". News.in.msn.com. December 12, 2011. Retrieved February 22, 2012.
- "'Hurt Locker' Star Jeremy Renner on Ditching His Mom, Dancing With Madonna (VIDEO)". Aoltv.com. September 23, 2010. Retrieved February 22, 2012.
- Galloway, Stephen (April 4, 2012). "Jeremy Renner's Shot at Playing Hero". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved April 16, 2013.
- Staff writers (February 2, 2010). "Oscar Nominee Renner: 'It's Awesome. Really Awesome': Modesto actor nominated for best actor in 'The Hurt Locker'". The Modesto Bee. Retrieved February 25, 2010.
- "Jeremy Renner". superiorpics.com. Retrieved December 11, 2011.
- "Jeremy Renner Reveals Makeup Artist Past; Actor Talks 'Avengers' & More 'Mission: Impossible'". Yahoo. Retrieved May 1, 2012.
- "Jeremy Renner Haunted By 'Dahmer' Role". starpulse.com. Retrieved December 11, 2011.
- "JPink Falls Off Horses, Avoids Rattlesnakes During 'Trouble'-Filled Video Shoot". mtv.com. Retrieved December 11, 2011.
- Koehler, Robert (August 7, 2003). "S.W.A.T.". variety.com. Retrieved December 11, 2011.
- "The Heart Is Deceitful Above All Things (2006)". hollywood.com. Retrieved December 11, 2011.
- "Julia Stiles and Jeremy Renner at the "A Little Trip to Heaven" premiere, January 26". mtv.com. Retrieved December 11, 2011.
- "Interview: Jeremy Renner On 28 Weeks Later". latinoreview.com. Retrieved December 11, 2011.
- "Jeremy Renner to Star in The Oaks". comingsoon.net. Retrieved December 11, 2011.
- "Where Pilots Go to Die: FOX's "The Oaks"". televisionaryblog.com. Retrieved December 11, 2011.
- "Nominees & Winners for the 82nd Academy Awards". oscars.org. Retrieved December 11, 2011.
- "Sigourney Weaver, Justin Timberlake, Kyra Sedgwick, Ray Romano and Others will Present at the 16th Annual SAG Awards®". sag.org. Retrieved December 11, 2011.
- "Jeremy Renner reacts to Oscar nomination for 'The Town'". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved December 11, 2011.
- "Best Supporting Actor: Jeremy Renner". esquire.com. Retrieved December 11, 2011.
- "Jason Bateman, Jon Hamm, Nicole Kidman, Jeremy Renner, Sofia Vergaraand Robin Wright To Present At The 17th Annual Screen Actors Guild Awards®". sag.org. Retrieved December 11, 2011.
- Blank, Emily; Schutte, Lauren (15 November 2010). "Hollywood's A-List Redefined". (slide 6 of 10 in slideshow) The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 26 June 2012.
- "Report: Jeremy Renner's Hawkeye Makes A Cameo In 'Thor'". Retrieved December 11, 2011.
- "'Mission: Impossible 4′ Set Photos of Jeremy Renner & Josh Holloway". screenrant.com. Retrieved December 11, 2011.
- Corinne Heller (July 23, 2010). "Joss Whedon Talks 'The Avengers': Jeremy Renner Confirmed as 'Hawkeye'". OnTheRedCarpet.com. Retrieved June 14, 2012.
- Steve Weintraub (May 3, 2012). "Scarlett Johansson and Jeremy Renner Talk The Avengers". Collider.com. Retrieved June 14, 2012.
- "Jeremy Renner on Bourne Legacy". Empire. Retrieved December 11, 2011.
- "Jeremy Renner: 'I want Bourne collaboration with Matt Damon'". Digital Spy. Retrieved December 8, 2011.
- "First Look: Jeremy Renner in "Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters"". worstpreviews.com. Retrieved December 11, 2011.
- Takeda, Allison (March 29, 2013). "Jeremy Renner Names Baby Daughter Ava Berlin". Us Weekly. Retrieved March 31, 2013.
- "Jeremy Renner Finally Gets Some Action". details.com. Retrieved December 11, 2011.
- "November Hosts and Musical Guests Announced!!". NBC. 31 October 2012. Retrieved 31 October 2012.
- Peter Howell (September 9, 2008). "Iraq War Movie Put Hurt on Actor". The Toronto Star. Retrieved February 25, 2010.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jeremy Renner.|