||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2011)|
Stockton-on-Tees, County Durham
Jeremy Swift (born 1960) is an English actor. He studied drama at Guildford Drama school from 1978 to 1981 and worked almost exclusively in theatre throughout the 1980s, working with companies such as Deborah Warner's Kick Theatre company and comedy performance-art group The People Show. During this period Swift also worked on numerous television commercials. In the 1990s he acted at the National Theatre working alongside David Tennant and Richard Wilson in Phillyda Lloyd's production of What the Butler Saw. He starred in the ITV sitcom Blind Men, and Vanity Fair for BBC1.
In the 2000s, Swift appeared in Gosford Park playing the footman Arthur, and Roman Polanski's Oliver Twist as Mr Bumble. For BBC3 he played Barry in the cult hit The Smoking Room and had a theatrical hit with Abigail's Party, the last production at the old Hampstead Theatre and their longest running west end transfer.
In 2009 he played the lead in the true story of Sean Greenhalgh in The Antiques' Rogue Show for BBC2 with Liz Smith and Peter Vaughn, The Deacon in a film adaptation of Anton Checkhov's short story The Duel and featured in Canoe Man, a 2010 TV drama based on the John Darwin disappearance case.
He has recently finished shooting the independent British feature film Downhill, which is a comedy about four men attempting Alfred Wainwright's Coast to Coast Walk. It will be released in 2013 and co-stars Ned Dennehy, Karl Theobald and Richard Lumsden. The film is directed by James Rouse and the screenplay was written by Torben Betts. He currently plays the emotionally repressed butler Spratt in "Downton Abbey" on ITV.
Swift is also a composer and his work includes the score for Werewolves: The Dark Survivors (Wide-eyed Entertainment) for the Discovery channel and ITV global.
- Jupiter Ascending - Vassily Bolotnikov (2015)
- The Crimson Field (2014)
- Downton Abbey - Spratt (2013-2014)
- Being Human - Emil Parsons (1 episode, The Trinity 2013)
- The Duel (2010)
- EastEnders - Adrian (2009)
- Red Dwarf: Back to Earth, Part Two - Noddy (2009)
- Amazing Grace - Richard the Butler (2006)
- The Smoking Room - Barry (17 episodes 2004-05)
- Oliver Twist - Mr Bumble (2005)
- To Kill a King - Earl of Whitby (2003)
- Vanity Fair - Jos Sedley (1998)
- The Grand - David Jeffries (1997–98)
- Dalziel and Pascoe - Dave Fernie (1 episode 1996)
- Next of Kin - Ant (4 episodes 1995-96)
- An Actor's Life For Me - Waldemor Krystoff (1 episode, Night of the Living Dead 1991)
- Paul Merton: The Series - Shoplifting Customer (1991)
- Mr. Love - Boy in Projection Room (1985)
- Fords on Water - Southern Soldier (1983)