||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (January 2013)|
|Full name||Jernej Godec|
January 16, 1986 |
Ljubljana, Slovenia, Yugoslavia
|Height||1.90 m (6 ft 3 in)|
|Weight||95 kilograms (209 lb)|
|Stroke(s)||Freestyle and butterfly|
|Club||Plavalni Klub Ilirija ( Slovenia), Cal Aquatics ( United States), Stade Français Olympique Courbevoie ( France)|
|College team||University of California, Berkeley|
Jernej Godec (born January 16, 1986 in Ljubljana) is a freestyle and butterfly swimmer from Slovenia, who competed for his native country at the 2004 Summer Olympics in Athens, Greece and the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing, China.
Member of the Ilirija Swimming Club from Ljubljana, Slovenia; his former coaches include Aleš Cerkovnik and Borut Klinec but in 2004 moved to the USA as a student-athlete majoring in Molecular and Cell Biology and competing for the University of California, Berkeley. After training with coach Mike Bottom for several years he continued under the current Cal Golden Bears swimming team head coach Dave Durden. He currently lives in Boston, MA, where he continues to train while pursuing a doctoral degree in Immunology at Harvard University.
Godec currently holds the Slovenian national records in 50 m freestyle (22.19) and 50 m butterfly (23.20) in long course (50 m) swimming pools as well as 50 meter butterfly (22.47), 50 meter freestyle (21.18), and 50 meter backstroke (23.53) in short course (25 m) pools and still holds numerous national records in different age group categories. With these times, he is currently ranked as 15th in 50m butterfly (long course meters pool) and 9th in 50m butterfly, 17th in 50m freestyle, 21st in 50m backstroke (short course meters pool) on the FINA all-time world rankings.
- 2004: Olympic Games, Athens — 14th, 4×100 m medley relay
- 2006: European LC Championships — 9th, 50 m butterfly; 11th, 50 m freestyle; 14th, 100 m butterfly
- 2007: World Aquatics Championships — 14th, 50 m freestyle; 14th, 50 m butterfly
- World Aquatics Championships — 12th, 50 m butterfly
- World University Games — 1st, 50 m butterfly
- CISM World Military Championships — 1st, 50 m butterfly (CISM Record); 1st, 50 m freestyle; 2nd, 100 m freestyle
- European Short Course Swimming Championships — 4th, 50 m butterfly; 10th, 50 m freestyle; 10th, 4x50m medley relay: 12th 50m backstroke
- Jernej Godec at sports-reference.com
- Cal Bears: Jernej Godec Bio
- Slovenian Swimming Federation
- CISM Results
- FINA World Rankings