Jerry Pinto (born 1966) is a Mumbai-based Indian writer of poetry, prose and children's fiction in English, as well as a journalist. His noted works include, Helen: The Life and Times of an H-Bomb (2006) which won the Best Book on Cinema Award at the 54th National Film Awards, Surviving Women (2000) and Asylum and Other Poems (2003). His first novel Em and The Big Hoom was published in 2012.
Early life and education
Jerry Pinto is a Roman Catholic of Goan origin, and grew up in Mahim Mumbai, later he received a liberal arts degree from Elphinstone College, University of Mumbai, and a law degree from Government Law College, Mumbai.
His collection of poems, Asylum and Other Poems appeared in 2003. He has also co-edited Confronting Love (2005), a book of contemporary Indian love poetry in English. He returned to magazine journalism as a Consulting Editor at Man's World magazine. Later, he joined Paprika Media (the publishing house that brings out Time Out Mumbai and Time Out Delhi) to edit their special projects. He is now a free lance journalist, writing articles for the Hindustan Times and Live Mint newspapers, as well as The Man and MW
In 2009, he coauthored Leela: A Portrait with Leela Naidu, a semi-biographical book of anecdotes and photos from Leela Naidu's life. Leela Naidu was continuously listed as one of top ten or top five most beautiful women in the world in the 50's and 60's by magazines like Vogue.
- Surviving women. Penguin Books, 2000. ISBN 0-14-028715-9.
- Bombay, meri jaan: writings on Mumbai, with Naresh Fernandes. Penguin Books, 2003.
- Asylum and Other Poems. (Poetry in English). Allied Publishers India., 2003. ISBN 81-7764-527-7
- Confronting Love, (edited with Arundhathi Subramaniam ) . (Poetry in English). Penguin Books India., 2005. ISBN 0-14-303264-X
- Helen; The Life and Times of An H-Bomb. New Delhi: Penguin Books India, 2006. ISBN 0-14-303124-4.
- Reflected in water: writings on Goa. Penguin Group, 2006. ISBN 0-14-310081-5.
- Bollywood posters, with Sheena Sippy. Thames & Hudson, 2008. ISBN 050028776.
- Leela: A Portrait with Leela Naidu. Penguin Group, 2009.
- Em and the Big Hoom. Aleph Book Company, 2012. ISBN 8192328023
Awards and honours
- 2007 National Film Award for Best Book on Cinema for Helen: The Life and Times of an H-Bomb
- 2012 The Hindu Literary Prize winner for Em and the Big Hoom
- 2013 Crossword Book Award (fiction) for Em and the Big Hoom
-  Em and The Big Hoom|Aleph Book Company website
- Rediff Interview / Jerry Pinto March 29, 2006.
- ‘Helen: The Life and the Times of an H-Bomb’
- "Who's behind Man's World?". Man’s World.
- Staff writer (February 17, 2013). "The Hindu Literary Prize goes to Jerry Pinto". The Hindu. Retrieved February 18, 2013.
- "'Popular choice' ruled at book awards". Times of India. December 7, 2013. Retrieved December 7, 2013.
- Jerry Pinto's Website
- About Jerry Pinto and his poems
- Jerry Pinto's book of poems, Asylum, reviewed by Ranjit Hoskote
- Hindustan Times columns by Jerry Pinto.
- Live Mint: columns by Jerry Pinto