Garay in 1962
|Full name||Jesús Garay Vecino|
|Date of birth||10 September 1930|
|Place of birth||Bilbao, Spain|
|Date of death||10 February 1995(aged 64)|
|Place of death||Bilbao, Spain|
|Height||1.80 m (5 ft 11 in)|
|Playing position||Centre back|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only.
† Appearances (Goals).
Born in Bilbao, Biscay, Garay joined local Athletic Bilbao in 1950 from neighbouring SD Erandio Club. He was immediately cast into the team's starting XI, making his La Liga debut on 8 October 1950 in a 9–4 home win against Celta de Vigo and scoring his first goal in the competition on 17 December of the same year also at the San Mamés Stadium, against FC Barcelona (4–3 success).
In the 1960 summer, after 292 official appearances for the Lions and five major titles won, including the 1955–56 national championship and three Copa del Generalísimo trophies, one of them conquered against Real Madrid at the Santiago Bernabéu Stadium, Garay signed for FC Barcelona for 5,5 million pesetas, a fee that would later be used to build the Mercy stand at San Mamés, dubbed by club fans Jesús Garay. He retired at the age of 35 after a further five seasons in the top level, four with the Catalans and one with CD Málaga, suffering relegation with the latter; he died on 10 February 1995 at 64, in his hometown.
|1.||30 January 1957||Santiago Bernabéu, Madrid, Spain||Netherlands||1–0||5–1||Friendly|
- Athletic Bilbao
- At. Bilbao, 9 – Celta, 4; El Mundo Deportivo, 9 October 1950 (Spanish)
- At. Bilbao, 4 – Barcelona, 3; El Mundo Deportivo, 18 December 1950 (Spanish)
- Leyendas del Athletic Club de Bilbao – Garay (Athletic Club de Bilbao legends – Garay); at Canal Athletic (Spanish)
- Jesús Garay Vecino – International Matches; at RSSSF
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jesús Garay.|
- BDFutbol profile
- National team data (Spanish)
- Jesús Garay at National-Football-Teams.com
- Jesús Garay – FIFA competition record
- Athletic Bilbao profile
- FC Barcelona profile