Jesús Mari Lazkano
Jesús Mari Lazkano (Bergara, 1960) is a Spanish Basque painter. He graduated in fine arts from the University of the Basque Country and has had exhibitions in Europe, America and Asia. Jesus Mari Lazkano works in successive series linking architecture and landscape. Professor of Fine Arts at the University of the Basque Country. PHD in 1994 by the Basque Country University. His painting is part of the Bilbao Guggenheim Museum collection.
In 2010, the Museum of Fine Arts in Bilbao held a major retrospective of his last 10 years of work. Large format works in public spaces, such as the Opera Euskalduna, Intermodal Station Renfe, Aula Magna University of the Basque Country in Leioa. Parliament of the Basque Country, or the Iberdrola Tower by architect Cesar Pelli, a piece of 6 x 15 meters located in the lobby.
A brief tour of the series:
From architecture to nature 2006−2012
It is a work generated from the experience at the Museum of Fine Arts in Bilbao and exposed in the same place. The museum like a creative space. Museum space itself as a generator of images. Interferences of history and stories, weather, and its products, building new and old, interference and enhancement. How to look at it looks. How to represent the spaces of presentation. The picture within a picture, the museum inside the box, the museum within the museum. How an artist reads and interprets the works, the space that presents the works and how it represents the presentation ... The Imaginary Museum. But the museum is just a scenario that takes place the evidence of a transformative process, a transfer of interests, from architecture to nature. The architecture is open, multiply the windows, the crystals disappear, cleared the wall and the border between architecture and nature is blurred, diluted. Nature is taking positions and occupying the architecture works of art as mediation.
Ars imaginis 2001−2006
Ars imaginis, which in its Latin translation encompasses the concepts of image, appearance and performance and in this case the idea of echo. The painting shows thematically referred to powerful well known architecture. Talk about the survival and reinterpretation of projects still charged with new meanings. These modern icons are only an excuse, the epidermis, which hides the real reason for my work in painting, that is, recover reality, learn to look carefully and listen to the echoes of time from the contemporary. Resonances that speak of places and art of architecture built from the differences. Echoes that resonate and take us to a natural geometry, a latent order which articulates the architecture as presented.
Ars fragmentaria 1998−2001
The work presented in this series summarizes around a project on the Italian world and sense of space and time. Part of a feedback cycle, the beginning is in the range of Renaissance gardens in 1995, abstract spaces and geometries impossible, natural utopian forms..... Concentric circles open and self-referential series including the series about the Pantheon, the Roman veduti, or pictorial meeting in Rome and New York, all projects that have been showing in Rome, in an attempt to regain that sense of contemplation in the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries, giving rise to a city only possible in painting, a unique way to recognize and explore the city, to find a city waiting, your drawing is completed and a light that changes and reconstructs the away and returned to us in time, eternal time, like that of Rome.
Natural order 1994−1998
Nature reserves locked in the conservatory lead to the aesthetics of the garden like a paradise recreated space, possible construction of a miniature world, building the nature, gardening, rearranging ... This series integrates different stylistic solutions garden throughout history, with pictorial approaches at different times. Gardens of times and locations technical front also representing different times and areas. A French garden with a cool Egyptian, a Renaissance garden in front of a Pompeian fresco, the English landscape garden accompanied by a Persian miniature. Mixing times and places, gardens and plastic responses, order and chaos, control and openness natural style.
The great utopia 1992
The interest in certain architecture engineering such as bridges, depots, stations, etc., Drifts of building the greenhouse, as a perfect solution of form and function, including time and demand technology program. Built spaces for light and temperature, light and heat adjustable container winter gardens of paradise out of place. Mechanical space, functional spaces won a game between a decontextualized nature, wild, tropical and cloistered, overcome and deceived by engineering.
The history of architecture and engineering phases of a time as it escapes. Viennese Secession, the New York utopian, a timeless tension broken dreams and impossible projects. Looking back to project the future, immersed in dreams, in its ruins. The attempted control of the territory for your needs, go farther, go faster, climb higher...
New York 1989−1990
The modern city as a backdrop, decorated petrified where time stops or accelerates. A town in the hills and from the heights, a city suspended in the forties, black and white, united through their bridges with reality. Bridges over the East River as a triumph over Nature and the impossible. City outside of time, without people, desolate, distant, like a document than it ever was. Berenice Abbott memories and photographs. Look at the city through its artists.
From the beautiful to the useful 1984−1988
As if everything was over, where there is nothing dark, almost hopeless, and emerge the ruins of industrial buildings rescued from around the estuary of Bilbao, fragments of buildings representing the strength and energy of modernity and progress, engineer majestic architecture, cyclopean, out of scale, destroying everything, imposed on a post-human landscape. In a reverse process, Nature is taking over them, integrating them into an apocalyptic scene in desolate landscapes and complex, with uncertain future and forgotten past. A reading of Caspar David Friedrich from Bilbao.
JESUS MARI LAZKANO
Bergara, Spain, 1960. Fine Arts Doctor by Basque Country University Titular Teacher, Painting Department, Fine Arts Faculty of Bilbao
Doctoral thesis: “The distance between the formal in the architecture and the architecture like image”, Painting Department, Fine arts Faculty, University of the Basque Country
- 2012 798 Art Bridge Gallery Beijing China
- 2010 From architecture to nature Museo de Bellas Artes de Bilbao
- 2008 From the memory Museo Euskal Herria, Gernika
- 2007 Laboratory, Guggenheim Museum BilbaoGalleria Il Polittico, Roma
- 2006 Windsor Kulturgintza, Bilbao
- 2005 Galería Antonio Machon, Madrid.
- 2004 Galleria Il Polittico, Roma
- 2003 Retrospective 1989-2003, Fundación BBK, Bilbao
Galería SEI, Pamplona.
- 2002 Galería Antonio Machón, Madrid.
- 2001 Galleria Il Polittico, Roma.
- 2000 Galería Antonio de Barnola, Barcelona.
- 1999 The Times, Sala Rekalde, BilbaoGalería Antonio Machón. Madrid.
- 1998 From the beauty to the useful, International industrial architecture seminary Palacio Montehermoso.Vitoria.
- 1997 Sala Artxibo Foral, Retrospective 1984 -1989, BilbaoLe 29º Festival International de la Pinture, Cagnes-sur-Mer, Francia
Galería Dieciseis, San Sebastián.
- 1996 Adams Middleton Gallery, Dallas, USA
Galería Antonio Machón, Madrid.
Windsor Kulturgintza, Bilbao.
- 1995 Embassy Gallery, Yakarta, Indonesia.Galería Antonio Machón, Madrid.
- 1993 Galería Antonio Machón, Madrid.ARCO"93, ART FAIR Galería Antonio Machón, Madrid.
- 1992 Adams-Midleton Gallery, Dallas, USACollection DOBE, Monte Bre, Lugano, Suiza.
- 1991 CHICAGO ART FAIR, Galería Michel Chenau, Collection DOBE, Chicago.
- 1990 Mural for the underground of Bilbao, 600m. squaresGalería Antonio Machón, Madrid.
Windsor Kulturgintza, Bilbao.
- 1989 Galería Antonio Machón, Madrid.
- 1988 Galería Dieciseis, San Sebastián.Sala BBK, Bilbao.
- 1987 Galería Gamarra Garrigues, Madrid.
- 1986 Herrikasarte, Munguía.
- 1985 Sala Ezkurdi, Durango.Galería Dieciseis, San Sebastián.
- 1984 Sala Gran Vía, 21, Bilbao.
- 1983 ARTEDER-83, Bilbao
Windsor Kulturgintza, Bilbao.
Sala Kutxa, San Sebastián, Azpeitia.
2011 Natura Imaginis, 6 x 15 metres. IBERDROLA Tower, Cesar Pelli architec, Bilbao.
2010 BILBO MMX, 125 x 720 cm. Stand Bilbao, EXPO SHANGAI 2010
2009 Proyect for the bridge Matadero, Madrid, with the Adrian Geuze´s Studio West 8 Urban Design &Landscape Architecture de Rotherdam
2007 Leioatik-Leioara. 125 x 650 cm Kultur Etxea, Leioa Hemendik nora eta nola, Two pieces of 200 x 2.000 cm. Aula Magna of University of the Basque Country, Bilbao.
2006 Water tank of Gernika, 500 x 8.400 cm, Water consortium of Busturialdea, Gernika “Busturialdea”, Gernika.
2005 Paisaje de paso, 4 pieces of 800 x 200 cm. Intermodal of San Mames, Renfe Bilbao
Bizkaia, 3 x 5 meters. Bilbao Exhibition Center, Barakaldo.
2002 From the relative or the place of the memory 3,5 x 12 meters. Palacio de Música y Congresos Euskalduna, Bilbao
Arriaga´s dream, 3 x 5 meters. Tram of Bilbao Euskotran,. Temporal installation.
2001 Euskadi, 244 x 530 cm. Basque Parliament, Vitoria-Gazteiz
1996 Roof mural of the Argentaria´s foundation library, Madrid.
1991 Realization of 4 stamps for the post: Spanish Bank, Alvaro de Bazán, Fuente de Apolo, and San isidro institute, due to Madrid being European culture capital. “Ed. Casa de la Moneda y Timbre”, Madrid.
1990 Hemendik nora, 10 x 60 meters, Mural for the underground of Bilbao. Demolished
Public collections and museums
- Guggenheim Museum. Bilbao.
- Château du Montbeliard Museum, France.
- Bvlgary Collection, Hon kong, Los Angeles.
- Collection DOBE, Lugano, Suiza.
- Financial Corporation Washington .
- Spanish academy of Fine Arts, Roma.
- Fine Arts Museum of Bilbao.
- Artium Museum, Vitoria.
- Col. Goldman Saatchi, Madrid.
- Col. Testimoni. La Caixa, Barcelona.
- Col. BBVA. Madrid.
- San Telmo Museum, San Sebastian.
- Basque Government, Vitoria.
- Youth institute, Madrid .
- Col. Caja Postal. Madrid.
- Col. Bilbao Undergrown.
- Patio Herreriano Museum, Valladolid.
- Col. Ajuriaenea palace, Vitoria.
- Col. Argentaria Foundation, Madrid.
- Col. Athletic Club de Bilbao.
- Casa de la Moneda y Timbre, Madrid.
- Museo Municipal Madrid.
- BSCH Fundation. Santander.
- Basque Parliament, Vitoria.
- Opera House, Bilbao.
- Bilbao Exhibition Center.
- Euskaltel, Derio.
Prizes and grants
- 2007 “Titanio” prize. Basque and Navarre architecture´s college “Ria del ocio” Prize
- 2001 First “Vacamanía” Prize, Bilbao
- 1997 Spanish Academy of Roma scholarship
- 1995 Scholarship from the Spanish embassy of Indonesia
- 1991 Premio Ibérico Dos Mil. “Ibérico Dos Mil” Prize
- 1990 Artistic creation “Banesto” Grant
- 1988 Basque Government Grant
- 1987 II Prize of engravings “Gure Artea”
- 1986 “Caja de Ahorros Vizcaina” GrantYoung art Prize, Culture Department, Madrid.
- 1985 First Prize “Gure Artea”“Adquisición Bizkaiko Artea” Prize
- 1984 Basque Government Grant First “Bienal of Basque Art” Prize, Amorebieta.
- 1983 Artistic creation Grant, Delegation of Gipuzkoa
- 1982 First prize for the Young Artists, San Sebastian
Courses and conferences
- Teacher of the Master in Research on the territory and the landscape, University of Elche, Spain
- Teacher of the Master in Research and creation of art, University of the Basque Country
- Urban iconographies. In architecture and society, Oficial Collage of Architecture Basque and Navarre, Bilbao, July 2007
- From the process, Practice course, Guggenheim Museum, Bilbao. 2007
- Ruins of the contemporary painting, University of Kiel, Germany. 2006
- My painting and the city. Literature and the city. Theory and practice application
XXV Summer courses – XVIII European Courses of the UPV San Sebastian, 2006
- Organization of a cycle of conferences Landscapes, which landscapes? Bilboarte centre. Bilbao. April May. 2002
- Art and nature. The garden like an art. From 15−19 September, Department of the History Art, Philosophy and Lierature Faculty of Zaragoza. Huesca 1997
- Doctoral courses Creación e investigación en Arte. Pintura. 1994-2010
- 11/4 International industrial architecture´s seminary. From 7−27 September. Area of urban renewal of Vitoria, Department of urbanism of the delegation of Araba and de department of order of the Basque Government territory.
- Doctoral courses Research and creation of art. Painting. 1994−2010
- About the creative process. Architecture School Tongji University. Shanghai. 2011
- From the architecture to the nature. Fine Arts Museum, Bilbao. 2011
- Landscape, city, painting, Fine Arts Faculty, University of Warsaw, Poland, 2010
- Landscape, city, painting, University of Art and Design, Helsinki, 2008
- “Art between us” Inaugural lecture for the official opening ceremony of the course 2007-8. University of the Basque Country, 2007
- “Progetto pittorico”, Fine Arts academy of Venice, 2007
- Architectonic report, “Titanio prize”, Architecture Basque and Navarre Collage, Bilbao, 2007
- Ideal topographies, Guggenheim Museum, Bilbao, 2007
- Readings in Arquiesculture, Guggenheim Museum Bilbao, December 2005
- “Switching on words in a paper”, Oteiza other. Guggenheim Museum Bilbao, December 2004
- Landscape and painting. Philosophy Faculty. University of Deusto. Bilbao. 2002
- The garden like the laboratory or a natural geometry. Postgrade courses of Art and Nature, the garden like an art. Huesca, Spain, 1997
- From the way of expression of a province painter, Argentaria Foundation, Bilbao. February, 1996
- From how to reduce the distances or the painting like an antidote. Real Sociedad Bascongada de Amigos del País Delegación en Corte, Madrid. November, 1994
Books and catalogues of one-man shows
- Landscape soul, Ed. 798 Bridge Gallery Beijing China
- From architecture to nature Ed. Museo de Bellas Artes de Bilbao
- Lazkano Cuaderno de Notas Ed. Museo de Bellas Artes de Bilbao
- “Desde la Pintura” en RIEV JOURNAL, Eusko Ikaskuntza, 51-52, pag 241-334, Bilbao, 2007
- Natura dello of Lorenzo Canova, Ed. Il Político, Roma, 2007. spazio, introduction
- Roma-New York, introducción Arnaldo Romani Brizzi, Ed. Il Polittico, Roma, 2004
- Catálogo Razonado LAZKANO 1989-2002. Kosme de Barañano. Ed BBK, Bilbao, 2003
- ROMA, facsímil Italian notebook drawings . Ed. Bassarai, Vitoria, 2003.
- El espejo transparente, introduction, author´s texts. Ed. Antonio Machón, Madrid. 2002.
- Roma Veduta, introduction Edward Lucie-Smith, Ed. Il Político, Roma, 2001.
- De las Formas Simples, introduction Juan Manuel Bonet and text of Jesús Mari Lazkano. Ed. Antonio de Barnola. Barcelona. 2000.
- De los tiempos, essay of Fernando Castro, Ed. Rekalde, June, July, August, 1999, Bilbao
- Ars Fragmentaria, introduction Kosme de Barañano and text Jesús Mari Lazkano. Ed. Galería Antonio Machón, Madrid, 1999.
- De lo bello y lo útil o recorrido pictórico por algunas ruinas de la industria vizcaína y otros pueblos. Jesús Mari Lazkano 1984-1989. introduction Javier González de Durana, September−October 1997. Ed. Diputación Foral de Bizkaia, Bilbao, 1997.
- De la memoria, author´s texts, Ed. Windsor Kulturgintza, Bilbao, 1997.
- Del Orden Natural, author´s texts, October-November, 1995. Ed. Galería Antonio Machón, Madrid, 1996.
- La Gran Utopía, introducción del author, January–February, 1993. Ed. Galería Antonio Machón. Madrid, 1996.
- Cuaderno de Notas, facsímil New York drawings, introduction Antonio Bonet. Ed. Haizegoa, Bilbao, 1992.
- Jesús Mari Lazkano, (separata), Catálogo Nacional de Arte Contemporáneo 1991-1992 IBERICOÊ2 MIL, introduction Miguel Zugaza, Barcelona, 1992.
- Viena-Nueva York, author´s texts. Ed. Galería Windsor Kulturgintza, Bilbao, May,1990.
- Jesús Mari Lazkano, introduction Jon Juaristi. Ed. Galería Antonio Machón, Madrid, April–May, 1989.
- Catálogo razonado, 1977-1988, (separata), Kobie N1/4 5, serie Bellas Artes, introduction Javier González de Durana. Ed. Diputación Foral de Bizkaia, Bilbao, 1988.
- Jesús Mari Lazkano. PAINTINGS, introduction Javier González de Durana. Ed. Caja de Ahorros Vizcaína, Bilbao, 1988.
- Lazkano. Ed. Galería Gamarra - Garrigues, Madrid, May, 1987.
- Jesús Mari Lazkano. Margoak - Pinturas, introduction Txema Exparta. Ed. Caja de Ahorros Vizcaína, Bilbao, May, 1984.
- Bueno..., Ed. Jesús Mari Lazkano y Joseba Macías, Bilbao, 1982.
- "Jesús María Lazkano". Auñamendi Encyclopedia (in Spanish). Euskomedia. Retrieved 6 July 2010.