|Birth name||Clas Håkan Jesper Strömblad|
28 November 1972 |
|Genres||Melodic death metal, death metal, thrash metal, power metal, heavy metal, alternative metal|
|Instruments||Guitar, drums, keyboards, bass, Hammond organ|
|Labels||Nuclear Blast, Ferret Music, Wrong Again, Regain|
|Associated acts||In Flames, Dimension Zero, HammerFall, Sinergy, Ceremonial Oath, All Ends, The Resistance, Nightrage|
Clas Håkan Jesper Strömblad (born 28 November 1972) is a Swedish musician who is the guitarist for the bands Dimension Zero and The Resistance. He is best known as founder and former guitarist/drummer/keyboardist of the Swedish melodic death metal band In Flames, guitarist of the band Sinergy, bassist of Ceremonial Oath and drummer of HammerFall.
He is known to be an avid World of Warcraft player, even wearing a "WoW" t-shirt on stage at times. He also plays a guitar imprinted with the logo for the Horde faction from World of Warcraft as can be seen in this picture: Jesper Strömblad's WoW guitar
On 3 February 2009, the band's website inflames.com announced that Jesper would not be participating in the Australia/South America/Japan tour in order to get treatment for his alcohol abuse problems. Niklas Engelin was announced as his replacement for the tour.
On 12 February 2010, Jesper announced that he was leaving In Flames permanently for personal problems and health issues.
Jesper's comment on the situation was:
I have decided it is best for me to leave In Flames and to quit the band permanently.
The last 17 years have been a blast, and I am proud to have been part of this great journey, with the most talented and amazing people anyone can wish to have the privilege to work with.
I’m also the luckiest guy in the world, to have the BEST fans in the world, who have been supporting me during my difficult times. It means the world to me, and I’m determined to fight and defeat my demons once and for all.... and by the help from you guys, I’m on my way.
I’m far from done with music, metal, or whatever my direction is taking me, so be sure to hear from me in the future.… May the Force be with you!—Jesper Strömblad
Strömblad is known for having played in and been a founding member of a series of bands and side projects. Strömblad is currently the guitarist (formerly bassist) of Dimension Zero, a side project which he started with former In Flames guitarist Glenn Ljungström. Strömblad is also currently a member of another side project he started called All Ends, for which he and his In Flames bandmate Björn Gelotte both write the music. Neither plans to play in the side project due to In Flames' demanding schedule, but they continue to aid in writing songs for the band to play. He is also working on a side project together with Roland Johansson, former singer of the Swedish metal band Sonic Syndicate although as of January 2011 there has been no sign of any official release from the two.
He has formed a new band called The Resistance (SWE) alongside fellow former In Flames guitarist Glenn Ljungström, vocalist for The Haunted Marco Aro, Alex Losbäck Holstad of Despite, and Chris Barkensjö of Carnal Forge.
In 2012, the Swedish movie Isdraken, directed by Martin Högdahl and for which Strömblad composed the original music was released in theaters.
- Ceremonial Oath – bass guitar (1990–1993), (founding member)
- In Flames - drums (1990–1993) guitar (1993–2010), (founding member)
- HammerFall – drums (1993–1996), (founding member)
- Sinergy – guitar (1997–1999), (founding member)
- The Resistance (SWE) - guitar (2010-), (founding member)
- 1997 - Withering Surface - "Scarlet Silhouettes": Guitar Solo at "Scarlet Silhouettes"
- 1997 - Misanthrope - "Visionnaire": Guitar solo at "Hypochondrium Forces"
- 1998 - Exhumation - "Dance Across the Past": Guitar Solo at "Images of Our Extinction"
- 1999 - Grievance - "The Phantom Novels"
- 2007 - Annihilator - "Metal": Guitar Solo at "Haunted"
With In Flames
- Lunar Strain (1994)
- Subterranean (1995, EP)
- The Jester Race (1996)
- Whoracle (1997)
- Colony (1999)
- Clayman (2000)
- Reroute to Remain (2002)
- Soundtrack to Your Escape (2004)
- Come Clarity (2006)
- A Sense of Purpose (2008)
With Dimension Zero
- Penetrations from the Lost World (1997, EP)
- Silent Night Fever (2001)
- This Is Hell (2003)
- He Who Shall Not Bleed (2007)
With Ceremonial Oath
- Beware the Heavens (1999)
With The Resistance
Strömblad currently uses Gibson guitars. Before the release of Reroute to Remain, Jesper was an endorser of ESP using his signature variant of the EX series until he switched to Gibson guitars with his bandmate Björn Gelotte. He switched to Gibson for the release of Reroute To Remain, but returned to ESP for the recording of Soundtrack To Your Escape. Strömblad has now returned to Gibson since the release of Come Clarity. Jesper uses the Gibson Flying V and Explorer Voodoo models, as well as some Gibson Gothic Explorer II's.
- "Ratsit - Gratis upplysning pĺ företag och privatpersoner". Ratsit.se. 1972-11-28. Retrieved 2011-08-17.
- "GUITAR WORLD's 100 Greatest Heavy Metal Guitarists Of All Time".
- Lady Enslain (1999). "Interview with Jesper Strömblad". Enslain. Retrieved 2007-06-23.
- Stefanis, John (2004). "Interview: In Flames (Anders Friden and Peter Iwers)". Get Ready to Rock. Retrieved 2007-06-23.
- "In Flames Interview". Metal Pigeon. 2006-07-17. Retrieved 2007-06-23.
- "Roland Johansson's interview with Heavyhell".
- "Isdraken IMDb page".