Jesse C. Carson High School
|Jesse C. Carson High School|
|290 Kress Venture Road
China Grove, North Carolina 28023
Rowan County, North Carolina
|NCES School ID||370405002882|
|Assistant principals||Mark Weavil
|Teaching staff||73.60 (FTE)|
|Student to teacher ratio||15.94:1|
|Color(s)||Orange, Midnight Blue|
|Athletics conference||North Piedmont Conference|
Jesse C. Carson High School (often referred to as just Carson High School) is a public, co-educational secondary school located near China Grove, North Carolina. It is one of eight high schools in the Rowan-Salisbury School System.
Carson High School opened in 2006, drawing students from four other high schools in Rowan County. It was named for former Rowan County School System Superintendent Jesse C. Carson.
For the 2010–11 school year, Carson High School had a total population of 1,173 students and 73.60 teachers on a (FTE) basis. This produced a student-teacher ratio of 15.94:1. That same year out of the student total, the gender ratio was 50.04% male to 49.96% female. The demographic group makeup was: White, 83.89%; Black, 6.22%; Hispanic, 7.25%; Asian/Pacific Islander, 1.19%; and American Indian, 0.26% (two or more races: 1.19%). For the same school year, 46.06% of the students received free and reduced-cost lunches.
Graduations are generally held at the Carson High School campus.
Carson High School was rated a School of Distinction for the 2009–10 and 2010–11 school years on the North Carolina State Board of Education's yearly School Report Cards. In 2012, Carson High School was listed as one of U.S. News & World Report's Best High Schools. It was ranked at the Bronze Level.
Carson High School is a 3A school in the North Piedmont Conference. The school fields teams in the following sports: baseball (boys), tennis (boys/girls), basketball (boys/girls), football (boys), soccer (boys/girls), softball (girls), volleyball (girls), wrestling (boys). The school's mascot is the Cougars, wearing the school colors of orange and midnight blue.
The Carson Cougars football team has had two winning seasons since its team began in 2006. Mark Woody has been the Cougars' football coach since it began.
Clubs and activities
Carson High participates in the Center for International Understanding's Confucius Classroom project. This project helps education students on Chinese culture and language, including hosting teachers from participating schools in China.
Carson High has participated in the partner school program with Jiangsu Qingjiang Upper Middle School in Huai'An, Jiangsu, China, sending some students, teachers and administration there in 2009 and 2012.
The current principal at Carson High School is Angelo DelliSanti. DelliSanti replaced Kelly Withers, who took a position at another school, in 2014.
- "Search for Public Schools - School Detail for Jesse C. Carson High School". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved February 9, 2013.
- "East Rowan Home Page". Rowan-Salisbury School System. Retrieved September 12, 2012.
- "2010–2011". Free & Reduced Meals Application Data. NC Department of Public Instruction. Retrieved February 9, 2013.
- Valle, Kirsten (March 28, 2006). "Jesse C. Carson High shaping up". Salisbury Post. Retrieved September 17, 2012.
- "Rowan County Schools - Southeast High School (Jesse C. Carson High School)". Projects: Educational. New Atlantic Contracting. Retrieved September 17, 2012.
- "High Student Performance". NC School Report Cards (2009–2010). North Carolina State Board of Education. Retrieved September 17, 2012.
- "High Student Performance". NC School Report Cards (2010–2011). North Carolina State Board of Education. Retrieved September 17, 2012.
- "Best Schools: Jesse C Carson High School". US News & World Report. Retrieved September 13, 2012.
- "NCHSAA CONFERENCES 2011–12" (PDF). NCHSAA website. NCHSAA. Retrieved 13 November 2011.
- "Carson High School Sports Teams". MaxPreps. Retrieved September 15, 2012.
- "Carson High School Football Record Book". MaxPreps. Retrieved September 14, 2012.
- "2012-2013 North Carolina Host Schools for Chinese Guest Teachers" (PDF). Center for International Understanding. Retrieved September 14, 2012.
- "Confucius Classrooms". Center for International Understanding. Retrieved September 14, 2012.
- Blackwell, Maggie (June 21, 2009). "Traveling from China Grove to China Carson High educators part of cultural exchange". The Salisbury Post. Retrieved September 14, 2012.
- Campbell, Sarah (August 30, 2012). "Carson High students share memories from 10-day trip to China". Salisbury Post. Retrieved September 14, 2012.