|Oakland Athletics – No. 60|
August 21, 1983 |
|Bats: Right||Throws: Right|
|August 27, 2008 for the Pittsburgh Pirates|
(through 2013 season)
|Earned run average||5.48|
Chavez was born in Victorville, California. A graduate of Fontana A.B. Miller High School in Fontana, California, Chavez was drafted by the Texas Rangers in the 2002 Major League Baseball Draft out of Riverside Community College. In 2006, Chavez was promoted to Triple-A Oklahoma where he pitched one game before being traded.
He had a 4.48 ERA in 82 1/3 innings pitched for the Pirates from 2008–2009.
Chavez was traded by the Pirates on November 3, 2009 to the Tampa Bay Rays in exchange for second baseman Akinori Iwamura. On December 10 he was traded again, to the Atlanta Braves for Rafael Soriano.
He had a 5.89 ERA in 36 2/3 innings pitched for the Braves in 2010.
Kansas City Royals
On July 31, 2010, Chavez was traded to the Kansas City Royals along with Gregor Blanco and Tim Collins for Rick Ankiel and Kyle Farnsworth. The Royals designated him for assignment on October 11, 2011.
He had a 6.95 ERA in 33 2/3 innings pitched for the Royals from 2010–2011.
Toronto Blue Jays
On October 21, 2011, he was claimed off waivers by the Toronto Blue Jays. He was designated for assignment on December 12 but cleared waivers and was outrighted to Triple-A.
On May 27, 2012, Chavez was called up from Triple-A Las Vegas. He was 6–2 with a 3.72 ERA in 10 games with Las Vegas. He was recalled on August 4. On August 5, however, he was sent back down to make room for the promotion of Chad Jenkins from the New Hampshire Fisher Cats.
Chavez was traded to the Oakland Athletics on August 24, 2012, in exchange for cash considerations. Chavez started the 2013 season with the Triple-A Sacramento River Cats. He was recalled by Oakland on April 20, and sent back to Sacramento on April 29. He was recalled again on May 10. On July 31, 2013, Chavez pitched against the Blue Jays for the first time since being traded to Oakland and took the loss, yielding 3 runs in the 10th inning.
- "Jesse Chavez Stats". Baseball Almanac. Retrieved December 3, 2012.
- "Jesse Chavez Statistics and History". Baseball-Reference.com. Retrieved September 6, 2010.
- "Jesse David Chavez". Baseball-Reference.Com. Retrieved December 3, 2012.
- Bowman, Mark (December 10, 2009). "Braves trade reliever Soriano to Rays". Mlb.mlb.com (MLB.com). Retrieved September 6, 2010.
- Kaegel, Dick (July 31, 2010). "Royals deal Farnsworth, Ankiel for three | royals.com: News". Kansascity.royals.mlb.com (MLB.com). Retrieved September 6, 2010.
- Dierkes, Tim (October 11, 2011). "Royals Claim Laffey, Designate Chavez". MLBTradeRumors.com. Retrieved October 11, 2011.
- Nicholson-Smith, Ben (October 21, 2011). "Blue Jays Claim Jesse Chavez". MLBTradeRumors.com. Retrieved October 21, 2011.
- "Villanueva leaves Jays for personal reasons". TSN.ca. August 5, 2012. Retrieved August 5, 2012.
- "Jays trade right-hander Chavez to Athletics for cash". TSN.ca. August 24, 2012. Retrieved August 24, 2012.
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or ESPN, or Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)
- Baseball Almanac