Chavez with the Oakland Athletics
Oakland Athletics – No. 30
August 21, 1983 |
|August 27, 2008 for the Pittsburgh Pirates|
(through May 22, 2015)
|Earned run average||4.52|
Chavez was born in Victorville, California. A graduate of Fontana A.B. Miller High School in Fontana, California, Chavez was drafted by the Texas Rangers in the 2002 Major League Baseball Draft out of Riverside Community College. In 2006, Chavez was promoted to Triple-A Oklahoma where he pitched one game before being traded.
Chavez appeared in 51 games for the Indians in 2007 (with a 3.80 ERA) and was promoted to the majors on August 27, making his debut the same day.
He had a 4.48 ERA in 82 1/3 innings pitched for the Pirates from 2008–2009.
Chavez was traded by the Pirates on November 3, 2009 to the Tampa Bay Rays in exchange for second baseman Akinori Iwamura. On December 10 he was traded again, to the Atlanta Braves for Rafael Soriano.
He had a 5.89 ERA in 36 2/3 innings pitched for the Braves in 2010.
Kansas City Royals
On July 31, 2010, Chavez was traded to the Kansas City Royals along with Gregor Blanco and Tim Collins for Rick Ankiel and Kyle Farnsworth. The Royals designated him for assignment on October 11, 2011.
He had a 6.95 ERA in 33 2/3 innings pitched for the Royals from 2010–2011.
Toronto Blue Jays
On October 21, 2011, he was claimed off waivers by the Toronto Blue Jays. He was designated for assignment on December 12 but cleared waivers and was outrighted to Triple-A.
On May 27, 2012, Chavez was called up from Triple-A Las Vegas. He was 6–2 with a 3.72 ERA in 10 games with Las Vegas. He was recalled on August 4. On August 5, however, he was sent back down to make room for the promotion of Chad Jenkins from the New Hampshire Fisher Cats.
Chavez began the 2013 season with the Triple-A Sacramento River Cats. He was recalled by Oakland on April 20, and sent back to Sacramento on April 29. He was recalled again on May 10. On June 13, Chavez pitched 5 2/3 shutout innings of relief in an 18-inning game against the New York Yankees, earning the win. On July 31, Chavez pitched against the Blue Jays for the first time since being traded to Oakland and took the loss, yielding 3 runs in the 10th inning.
Chavez was added to Oakland's starting rotation to open the 2014 season, due to the spring injuries of Jarrod Parker and A.J. Griffin. He set career highs in starts and innings pitched, and finished with a 8-8 record with a 3.45 ERA.
On January 12, 2015, Chavez and the Athletics agreed to a one year deal with $2.15 million, avoiding arbitration.
- "Jesse Chavez Stats". Baseball Almanac. Retrieved December 3, 2012.
- "Jesse Chavez Statistics and History". Baseball-Reference.com. Retrieved September 6, 2010.
- "Jesse David Chavez". Baseball-Reference.Com. Retrieved December 3, 2012.
- "Texas Rangers acquire right-handed pitcher Kip Wells from Pittsburgh". MLB.com. July 31, 2006. Retrieved January 13, 2015.
- Hawkins, Stephen (August 1, 2006). "Rangers get Kip Wells, Stairs". Amarillo Globe-News. Associated Press. Retrieved January 13, 2015.
- Chastain, Bill (November 3, 2009). "Rays land Chavez, bid farewell to Iwamura". MLB.com. Retrieved January 13, 2015.
- Bowman, Mark (December 10, 2009). "Braves trade reliever Soriano to Rays". Mlb.mlb.com (MLB.com). Retrieved September 6, 2010.
- Kaegel, Dick (July 31, 2010). "Royals deal Farnsworth, Ankiel for three | royals.com: News". Kansascity.royals.mlb.com (MLB.com). Retrieved September 6, 2010.
- Dierkes, Tim (October 11, 2011). "Royals Claim Laffey, Designate Chavez". MLBTradeRumors.com. Retrieved October 11, 2011.
- Nicholson-Smith, Ben (October 21, 2011). "Blue Jays Claim Jesse Chavez". MLBTradeRumors.com. Retrieved October 21, 2011.
- "Villanueva leaves Jays for personal reasons". TSN.ca. August 5, 2012. Retrieved August 5, 2012.
- "Jays trade right-hander Chavez to Athletics for cash". TSN.ca. August 24, 2012. Retrieved August 24, 2012.
- Hickey, John (June 24, 2013). "Jesse Chavez providing Oakland A's a boost out of bullpen". San Jose Mercury News. Retrieved April 9, 2014.
- Slusser, Susan (March 17, 2014). "Jesse Chavez slots into rotation; A’s roster shaping up". San Francisco Chronicle. Retrieved April 9, 2014.
- "Jesse Chavez, Athletics agree to $2.15 million deal". ESPN.com. Associated Press. January 12, 2015. Retrieved January 13, 2015.
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or ESPN, or Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)
- Baseball Almanac