Jesse Hughes (musician)
||This article uses bare URLs for citations. (December 2011)|
Hughes playing the Commodore Ballroom in July 2009
|Birth name||Jesse Everett Hughes|
|Also known as||The Devil, Boots Electric, J Devil|
September 24, 1972 |
Greenville, South Carolina, U.S.
|Genres||Alternative rock, garage rock revival, blues rock, hard rock|
|Instruments||Vocals, guitar, bass guitar, percussion, flute|
|Labels||AntAcidAudio, Downtown Records|
|Associated acts||Eagles of Death Metal, Desert Sessions, Queens of the Stone Age|
Jesse "The Devil" Hughes (born September 24, 1972) is an American musician from Greenville, South Carolina. He is known as the frontman of the California-based rock band, Eagles of Death Metal. He cites Little Richard as his biggest musical influence and inspiration.
Early life 
At age 7, Hughes' mother, Jo Ellen, moved him to Palm Desert, California. In high school, he became friends with Josh Homme (later of Kyuss and Queens of the Stone Age). They became good friends after Homme stopped a bully from picking on Hughes. Hughes graduated from the Greenville Technical College with a degree in journalism and worked as the manager of a video depot in Palm Desert for several years.
In a 2007 interview, bandmate Josh Homme stated "Jesse Hughes... and I have a theory. We’re socially liberal but government conservative guys". Hughes has also said "I wanted to be a Republican politician for God sakes I’m a conservative, dude".
Recording career 
Eagles of Death Metal 
Hughes and Homme formed Eagles of Death Metal in 1998. Hughes credits Homme with saving his life, claiming that during the recording of the second Eagles of Death Metal album Death By Sexy, he fell into serious drug addiction and that Homme not only drove him to rehabilitation, but paid for it as well.
Other projects 
In September 2011, Hughes released his first solo album under the nickname Boots Electric. The album, Honkey Kong, was released on Dangerbird Records. He played his first show in Columbus, Ohio, on August 12, 2011, at the CD 101 Summerfest Eve.
Hughes uses many different nicknames, including "J. Devil" (or simply "The Devil") as well as "Boots Electric" ("Boots" for short) and "Fabulous Weapon" (both of which were band names used by Hughes' father). In an interview Hughes revealed that his band mate Josh Homme gave him "The Devil" nickname when he was thirteen. "I used to get picked on a lot by Karl Doyle" says Hughes, "And when I would get picked on severely, or if it really made a point to me, I would get vengeance, but I would get vengeance in the way that I could, which was mostly clever and all consuming. Joshua once witnessed me in the moment I was about to enact vengeance upon someone, and he just said, 'You're the fucking devil dude,' and it stuck."
Musical equipment 
- Maton MS500 Electric
- Maton BB1200 Electric
- Maton EAJ85 Jumbo Acoustic
- Yamaha AES1500
- Custom Gretsch Duo Jet with orange finish and black rooster knob in place of master volume knob 
- Ernie Ball Wah Pedal
- Boss DD-6 Delay
- TC Electronics Nova Drive Overdrive/Distortion
- Boss TU-2 Tuner
- EHX Mini Q Tron
- EHX Deluxe Memory Man Classic Chassis
- MOOG MF-102 Moogerfooger Ring Modulator
- MXR Phase 100
- Boss BF-3 Flanger
- Ibanez TS808 Tube Screamer
- Vox V8474 Wah
- Custom L.A. Sound Design Pedalboard 
- Orange Rockerverb 50w combo
- Orange 4x12 Cabinet
- Laney Amplifer
Selected discography 
|Year||Band or artist||Album|
|1998||The Desert Sessions||Volumes 3 & 4|
|2002||Fatso Jetson||Cruel & Delicious|
|2004||Eagles of Death Metal||Peace, Love, Death Metal|
|As a solo artist||A Pair of Queens|
|2005||Queens of the Stone Age||Lullabies to Paralyze|
|2006||Eagles of Death Metal||Ordering Pot with a Rock Star|
|September 2011||Boots Electric (solo artist)||Honkey Kong|
|2011 on Miracle||Boots Electric (solo artist)||Untitled 4 song 12 inch LP|
- Medsker, David (2006-02-28). "Interview with Jesse Hughes". Bullz-Eye. Retrieved 2007-07-20.
- http://sextipsfromrockstars.com SexTipsFromRockStars.com
- Eagles Of Death Metal Frontman Preps Solo Debut, 'Honkey Kong' | Prefix
- Play Full Music Albums Free - Spinner
- CD101.1 FM Radio, Columbus, Ohio. The Alternative Station
- Universal Life Church Monastery
- Blevins, Tal (2004-10-20). "Eagles of Death Metal: Local-Eyzed in San Francisco". IGN.com. Retrieved 2007-07-20.
- "Eagles of Death Metal Part 2: Jesse Hughes". SuicideGirls.com. 4 November 2008. Retrieved 2008-11-04.
- Maton Guitars - Superb acoustic, electric and custom built guitars - Australia's own guitar maker
- [dead link]
- Official Eagles of Death Metal site
- Jesse Hughes on Twitter
- Jesse Hughes at MySpace
- Jesse talks to Mattias and Dave-Os of Band of the Day
- Buddyhead interviews Eagles Of Death Metal about GNR tour
- Jesse Hughes Talks About Heart On
- Jesse Hughes In SPIN's November Issue
- Boots Electric tribute Movember team