Jesse Zubot, Moers Festival 2012
|Born||Leader, Saskatchewan, Canada|
|Instruments||violin, viola, mandolin, guitar|
|Associated acts||Fond of Tigers
Zubot and Dawson
Great Uncles of the Revolution
|violin, viola, mandolin, guitar|
Zubot's acoustic-instrumental group Zubot and Dawson won a Juno Award in 2003 for Roots & Traditional Group Album of the Year. Zubot was also a member of 2004 Juno Award winning group Great Uncles of the Revolution. Both groups released their albums on the Canadian roots label Black Hen Music although 'Zubot & Dawson' albums were ultimately licensed to True North Records. Since 2003 Zubot has toured with throat-singer Tanya Tagaq, Dan Mangan, 7 piece art-rock ensemble Fond of Tigers, Stars, Hawksley Workman, Ndidi Onukwulu, Jim Byrnes, Kelly Joe Phelps and many others. Zubot is a member of the 7 piece post-everything ensemble Fond of Tigers. Fond of Tigers won a Juno Award in 2011 in the 'Instrumental Category'.
Since the early 2000s Zubot has spent time working in the improvised and creative music scenes with artists such as Evan Parker, Jean Martin, François Houle, Joe Fonda, Mats Gustafsson, Orkestra Rova, Dylan van der Schyff, Tony Wilson, Fred Frith, Peggy Lee, David Tronzo, Gerry Hemingway, Henry Kaiser, Matthew Bourne, Nels Cline, Humcrush & many others.
Zubot created Drip Audio in 2005. Drip Audio is a record label dedicated to creative music stemming from the Vancouver underground scene and now includes creations by musicians from Toronto, Montreal, Los Angeles, New York & London. The musical diversity of Drip Audio is quite varied.
As a session musician Zubot has appeared on recordings by Stars, Dan Mangan, Justin Rutledge, Mother Mother, Amy Millan, Tanya Tagaq, Louise Burns, Veda Hille, Alan Doyle, Kelly Joe Phelps, Kathryn Calder, Alpha Yaya Diallo, Long John Baldry, Joe Keithley, Raffi, Secret Mommy and The Be Good Tanyas.
Zubot's score for Benoît Lachambre & Su-Feh Lee's Body Scan was presented, with the piece, at the Centre Pompidou in Paris (March, 2009). Zubot has composed pieces for both the Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra and Symphony Nova Scotia.
Zubot received a 'Multimedia Award' at 2010's Western Canadian Music Awards with Tanya Tagaq for their work on the short film, "Tungijuq" and a Boh Cameronian Arts Award 'Best Music & Sound Design' (Malaysia/2012) for Su-Feh Lee's dance piece 'The Whole Beast'.
A live album by Tanya Tagaq called 'Anuraaqtuq' and featuring Jesse Zubot (violin, viola) was released fall of 2011 on Victo Records. This concert was recorded at The Festival International de Musique Actuelle de Victoriaville in 2010.
Discography (Solo or Group Member)
- 1998: Zubot & Dawson - Strang (Black Hen Music)
- 2000: Zubot & Dawson - Further Adventures in Strang: Tractor Parts (Black Hen Music)
- 2001: Great Uncles of the Revolution - Stand Up (Black Hen Music)
- 2002: Zubot & Dawson - Chicken Scratch (True North Records)
- 2003: Great Uncles of the Revolution - Blow The House Down (Black Hen Music)
- 2005: Zubotta (Drip Audio)
- 2005: LaConnor (Drip Audio)
- 2006: Fond of Tigers - A Thing to Live With (Drip Audio)
- 2006: Jesse Zubot - Dementia (Drip Audio)
- 2007: ZMF Trio - Circle The Path (Drip Audio)
- 2007: The Tony Wilson 6tet - Pearls Before Swine (Drip Audio)
- 2007: Fond of Tigers - Release the Saviours (Drip Audio)
- 2009: Gord Grdina's East Van Strings - The Breathing of Statues (Songlines)
- 2010: Fond of Tigers - Continent & Western (Drip Audio)
- 2011: Tanya Tagaq - Anuraaqtuq (Victo Records)
- 2012: Gordon Grdina's Haram - Her Eyes Illuminate (Songlines)
- Thiessen, Brock (August 2007). "Music School » Where I play » Aug 2007 » Where I Play". Exclaim! (Toronto: 1059434 Ontario Inc.). www.exclaim.ca. ISSN 1207-6600. Retrieved 28 November 2011.
- Varty, Alexander (3 March 2011). "Music » Music Features » Drip Audio mastermind Jesse Zubot makes good » Jesse Zubot has gone from playing Saskatchewan barn dances to running Vancouver’s most daring label". The Georgia Straight (Vancouver: Vancouver Free Press Publishing Corp). straight.com. ISSN 0709-8995. Retrieved 28 November 2011.
- "Drip Audio brims with success". The Vancouver Sun (Postmedia Network Inc.). vancouversun.com. ISSN 0832-1299.[dead link]
- Kenyon Hopkin. "Jesse Zubot Biography". www.allmusic.com. Allmusic. Retrieved 28 November 2011.
- "Barnyard Records". barnyardrecords.com. Barnyard Records. Retrieved 28 November 2011.
- "Drip Audio". dripaudio.com. Jesse Zubot. Retrieved 28 November 2011.
- "National Jazz Awards". nationaljazzawards.com. Galaxie.[dead link]
- Hall, Glen (December 2006). "Reviews » Improv & Avant-Garde » Dec 2006 » Jesse Zubot » Dementia". Exclaim! (Toronto: 1059434 Ontario Inc.). www.exclaim.ca. ISSN 1207-6600. Retrieved 28 November 2011.