|Birth name||Jessica Sooyeon Jung|
|Also known as||Soo-yeon|
April 18, 1989 |
San Francisco, California, United States
|Occupations||Singer-songwriter, dancer, actress, promotional model, fashion designer|
|Years active||2007 – present|
|Associated acts||SM Town, Girls' Generation, Krystal Jung,|
|Website||SM Town (Girls' Generation)
Signature of Jessica.
|Revised Romanization||Jeong Suyeon|
|Revised Romanization||Jesika Jeong|
Jessica Sooyeon Jung (Korean name: Jung Soo-yeon; born April 18, 1989) is a Korean American singer-songwriter, dancer, actress, model and fashion designer. She is best known as a member and Main Vocalist of the South Korean girl group, Girls' Generation. Born and raised in San Francisco, California, she is fluent in both of her native languages English and Korean after moving to South Korea at the age of 11.
- 1 Biography
- 2 Music career
- 3 Acting career
- 4 Modeling
- 5 Variety Show appearances
- 6 Other Ventures
- 7 Discography
- 8 Filmography
- 9 Endorsements
- 10 Musical theatre
- 11 Awards and nominations
- 12 References
- 13 External links
Jessica was born in San Francisco, California in the same hospital as her fellow Girls' Generation member Tiffany. While on vacation in South Korea, she and her sister were scouted in a shopping mall by S.M Entertainment and joined the company in 2000. She trained for seven years as a trainee before debuting as part of the Korean girl group Girls' Generation. Jessica attended Korea Kent Foreign School in her teenage years.
Solo singing career
In addition to her group activities, Jessica released two singles with Seohyun and Tiffany: "Love Hate" (Hangul: "오빠 나빠", lit. Bad Older Brother) and "Mabinogi (It's Fantastic!)". Jessica collaborated with 8Eight for the song "I Love You" from their 2nd album Infinity which was released on March 3, 2008. She is not the one in the music video, but is the one singing the harmony and adlibs.
In addition, she had various duets — one with Shinee member, Onew, called "One Year Later", and one with Park Myung-soo, "Naengmyeon". She sang the "Seoul Song" with Super Junior's Leeteuk, Sungmin, Donghae, Siwon, Ryeowook and Kyuhyun and fellow group members Taeyeon, Sunny, and Seohyun.
Jessica released a digital single titled "Sweet Delight" on October 13, 2010.
In 2012, Jessica sang "What To Do" (feat. Kim Jin-pyo) for the drama Wild Romance, "Butterfly" (feat Krystal) for To The Beautiful You,"Heart Road" for The King's Dream, as well as "My Lifestyle", a Hyundai i30‘s commercial song.
In 2014, Jessica released "Say Yes"' for Make Your Move featuring her sister, Krystal, and EXO's Kris.
In 2012, Jessica appeared in Wild Romance, playing the role of Kang Jonghee, who is Park Mu-yeol’s unforgettable first love. She had her screentime in approximately eight episodes. In the same year, Jessica returned to musical theatre once again with Legally Blonde, alongside Jung Eun-Ji and Choi Woori. Her first performance was on November 28.
Along with Girls' Generation, Jessica has been featured as a model for numerous advertisements, endorsements, and campaigns including Haptic Motion, LG, Samsung, Domino's Pizza, Elite Uniform, J.ESTINA bags and many others.
Jessica had her first runway for Lee Juyoung’s fashion show for the 2011/12 Seoul Fashion Week at Seoul’s SETEC Center on March 29. Jessica wore the line, Resurrection by Juyoung. She also modeled for Levi's in a Marie Claire issue, as well as featuring in a photoshoot, titled ‘Break The Ice’, in the December issue of 1st Look magazine.
On August 17, Jessica and her sister Krystal were appointed as the ambassadors for the London Paralympics Team. On September 19, they visited the 'Blue House', to attend the event for the London Paralympics Team.
Jessica and Krystal have been chosen as new models for jewelry brand STONEHENgE. The two will be the new muses of the jewelry brand for 2013. It is the first time the two sisters have been chosen as models for a brand together.
During her career, she featured in several solo covers/photoshoots for various magazines like Allure, Nylon, Singles, Elle, Cosmopolitan, Marie Claire, CECI, 1st Look, W Korea, Dazed & Confuzed, Style, Vogue, Beauty+ and Star 1. She has covered the 17th anniversary CeCi issue, W Korea magazine, Cosmopolitan magazine, First look magazine, Singles magazine, and many others.
In 2012, Jessica and Yoona tied for second place for individual commercial filmings (CFs) by participating in 13 different CFs while Girls’ Generation as an entire group are in 1st place combined, with the girls modeling for a total of 21 different brands including chicken, perfume, jewelry, handbags, TVs, beds, and department stores.
In 2014,Li Ning, a Chinese clothing brand, has recently revealed its “LI-NING X Jessica” collaboration, featuring Jessica as one of its newest models. Jessica is shown on the brand’s site, modeling shirts, pants, and shoes, some products featuring Jessica’s signature. LI-NING also provides a brief history of Jessica’s activities prior to and after debuting as a member of Girls’ Generation on its website.
Variety Show appearances
In May 2010, Jessica became a regular guest on the show Happy Birthday until she withdrew on June 7, 2010 due to Girls' Generation's overseas activities.
She was also a regular guest on the show Star King, with fellow band member Yuri.
2014: OnStyle's Jessica & Krystal
In early April, Jessica and her sister, Krystal, were announced to have their own reality TV show. Jessica & Krystal was premiered on June 3 and consisted of 10 episodes. The show took on a personal side of the two sisters, featuring their daily life activities as well as never-before-seen footages.
During one interview segment, the two sisters addressed their public "cold" image together. Jessica explained "The average person thinks of idols' bright images, but my sister and I tend to not have strong expressions. If I'm not so lively, other people could get in a bad mood or misunderstand. I wish they wouldn't think me as rough."
On August 6, 2014, Jessica announced that she's launching her own fashion line BLANC, a brand of modern-classic items, clean-cut silhouettes, and interesting details inspired by Jessica's own style. Jessica shared, "My dream of establishing BLANC has finally been fulfilled. I am excited to develop a fashion collection and introduce new items and style to the world. Through creative work with other designers and fashion icons, I am learning a lot and I want to consistently continue to share news of the partnership and collaboration that I have going on right now."
|2007||SBS Thirty Thousand Miles in Search of My Son||"Touch the Sky"||03:49||With Taeyeon, Seohyun, Sunny and Tiffany|
|2008||Roommate||"Love Hate"||03:45||With Seohyun and Tiffany|
|It's Fantastic||"It's Fantastic"||03:40||With Seohyun and Tiffany|
|Infinity||"I Love You"||03:40||With 8eight|
|N/A||"Holding Hands"||03:54||With Tiffany, Super Junior, SS501, Jewelry, Brown Eyed Girls, Lee Hyun and T.G.U.S|
|KBS Hong Gildong OST||"The Little Boat (작은 배)"||03:27||With Taeyeon, Seohyun, Sunny and Tiffany|
|N/A||"Haptic Motion"||01:31||With Taeyeon, Seohyun and Sunny|
|2009||Olympic Duet Song Festival||"NaengMyun"||03:41||With Park Myung-soo|
|Tell Me Your Wish (Genie)||"One Year Later"||04:00||With Onew|
|MBC Heading to the Ground OST||"Motion"||04:06||With Taeyeon, Seohyun, Sunny and Tiffany|
|N/A||"S.E.O.U.L."||03:47||With Taeyeon, Seohyun, Sunny and Kyuhyun, Sungmin, Ryeowook, Donghae and Leeteuk of Super Junior|
|N/A||"I Can't Bear Anymore (Bear Song)"||02:43||With Taeyeon, Seohyun and Sunny|
|2010||Sweet Delight||"Sweet Delight"||03:20||Solo|
|N/A||"Cabi Song"||03:19||With Taeyeon, Tiffany, Seohyun, Sunny, Yuri, Chansung, Junsu, and Taecyeon|
|N/A||"Cooky"||02:50||With Tiffany, Seohyun and Sunny|
|My Friend Haechi||"Haechi Song" (해치송)||03:26||With Taeyeon, Sunny, Tiffany and Seohyun|
|2011||Romance Town||"Because Tears Are Overflowing"||04:46||Solo|
|2012||KBS Wild Romance||"What To Do"||03:54||With Kim Jin-pyo|
|SBS To the Beautiful You||"Butterfly"||03:01||With Krystal|
|KBS The King's Dream||"Heart Road"||04:19||Solo|
|PYL Younique Volume 1||"My Unique Lifestyle"||03:06||With Dok2|
|2013||Dating Agency: Cyrano||"The One Like You"||04:15||Solo|
|2014||Make Your Move 3D||"Say Yes"||03:58||With Krystal and Kris|
|"Cheap Creeper"||03:01||With Taeyeon, Tiffany, Sunny & Seohyun|
|Gaon||Billboard K-pop Hot 100|
|2010||"Sweet Delight"||48||—||Digital Single|
|2011||"Because Tears Are Overflowing"||20||—||KBS Romance Town OST|
|2012||"What To Do" (with Kim Jin-pyo)||12||14||KBS Wild Romance OST|
|"Butterfly" (with Krystal)||22||17||SBS To The Beautiful You OST|
|"Heart Road"||57||43||KBS The King's Dream OST|
|"My Lifestyle" (with Dok2)||34||30||PYL Younique Volume 1|
|2013||"The One Like You"||37||21||tvN Dating Agency: Cyrano OST|
|2012||I AM. – SM Town Live World Tour in Madison Square Garden||Herself||Biographical film of SM Town|
|2008||Unstoppable Marriage||Bulgwang-dong's Seven Princesses Gang||Cameo||KBS2|
|2009||Tae-hee, Hye-kyo, Ji-hyun!||English teacher||Cameo||MBC|
|2010||Oh! My Lady||Herself||Cameo||SBS|
|2012||Wild Romance||Kang Jong-hee||Supporting role||KBS2|
|2007||Cutie Honey, Mini Musical||A bully along with Yuri, Hyoyeon|
|2009||We Got Married Season 1||42, 45, 47, 49, 51 & 52|
|2010-2013||Running Man||4-5, 63-64, 141|
|2011-2013||Strong Heart||101-102, 165-166|
|2014||Jessica & Krystal||1-10||with Krystal, featuring daily activities of the two sisters|
|2007||"Love is Late, I'm Sorry"||Kim Jo Han||Love interest|
|2008||"Love Hate"||Jessica, Tiffany and Seohyun|
|"Haptic Motion"||Jessica, Yoona and Tiffany|
|2009||"Super Girl"||Super Junior-M||Love interest|
|"S.E.O.U.L."||Super Junior and Girls' Generation||Female photographer|
Aside from her endorsements alongside Girls' Generation, Jessica has also endorsed the following brands:
|2008||Samsung Anycall Haptic||"Haptic Motion CF" with TVXQ|
|2010||Dior Snow||With Sooyoung, Yuri, Sunny, Hyoyeon and Tiffany|
|2012||Banila Co.||Until 2014|
|Hyundai PYL||With Hyoyeon, Eunhyuk, Henry, Lu Han, Taemin, Kai|
|2009–2010; 2012–2013||Legally Blonde||Elle Woods||Lead role|
Awards and nominations
|2012||3rd Annual Barbie & Ken Awards||Korean Barbie||Herself||Won|
|SBS MTV Best of the Best||Best Cameo||Nominated|
|2013||7th The Musical Awards||Popularity Award||Herself||Won|
- The Birth of Jessica Jung. californiabirthindex.org
- "Win Win Episode 11" (in Korean). Win Win. April 20, 2010. KBS2.
- (Korean) Chosun.com: 제시카, "관객 앞에서의 제 목소리에 감동했어요", February 18, 2009
- (Korean) Kim Hyeong-wu. 소녀시대 티파니 “‘오빠나빠’ 활동 당시 성대 결절 고생” (Girls' Generation's Tiffany: "'Bad Older Brother' Activities Were Difficult on Vocal Nodules"). JoongAng Ilbo/Newsen. February 16, 2009. Retrieved February 26, 2010.
- (Korean) 소녀시대 티파니 제시카 서현 게임 주제가 신곡 발표 (Girls' Generation's Tiffany/Jessica/Seohyun Announce Game Theme Song as New Single). IS Plus/Newsen. August 1, 2008. Retrieved May 4, 2010.
- Jessica and Krystal releases 'Butterfly', an OST of 'To the Beautiful You'
- SNSD Jessica releases 'Heart Road', an OST of 'The Great King's Dream'
- Jessica sings “My Lifestyle” (ft. Dok2) for Hyundai’s ‘PYL Younique Album’
- Girls' Generation's Jessica lends her voice for OST of Sooyoung's starring drama 'Dating Agency: Cyrano'
- (English) Chung Ah-young. 'Legally Blonde' Sparkles With Starry Cast. The Korea Times. September 16, 2009. Retrieved February 22, 2010.
- (English) 3 Starts to Share Lead in 'Legally Blonde' Musical. The Chosun Ilbo. October 31, 2009. Retrieved February 22, 2010.
- (Korean) 소녀시대, 최시원과 의리 지키며 '오 마이 레이디'서 카메오 출연 (SNSD Makes Cameo Appearance on "Oh! My Lady", Showing Loyalty to Choi Siwon). asiae/Newsen. March 7, 2010. Retrieved on April 9, 2010
- Jessica’s Casting in ‘Violent Romance’ Confirmed
- (English) Jaccofashion.com: Jessica of Girls’ Generation ‘Break The Ice’ in 1st Look Magazine, December, 2011
- Girls’ Generation’s Jessica models for cosmetics brand ‘banila co.’
- SNSD’s Jessica promotes a car as a hot racing model
- Girls’ Generation’s Jessica models ‘Cartier’ for ‘W Korea’
- Jessica and her Sister Krystal Interviewed at the 2012 Paralympics Inaugural Ceremony
- SNSD's Jessica and f(x)'s Krystal visited the 'Blue House'
- Jessica and Krystal model for jewelry brand STONEHENgE
- List of CFs in 2012
- Jessica Becomes Model for LI-NING and Will Attend Fanmeet with f(x)’s Krystal
- (Korean) Bae Sunyoung: 제시카 ‘해피 버스데이‘ 5주 출연 끝, 7일 하차 (Jessica, After Five Weeks of Appearances in 'Happy Birthday', Will be Withdrawing on 7th), Newsen.com. June 5, 2010. Retrieved June 6, 2010.
- Jessica and Krystal's reality show Jessica&Krystal. Allkpop.com (April 16, 2014). Retrieved on April 16, 2014.
- Jessica and Krystal shed tears and talk about their complex on their reality program Allkpop.com (June 3, 2014). Retrieved on June 3, 2014.
- Girls' Generation's Jessica announces the launch of her own fashion line 'BLANC' Allkpop.com (August 6, 2014). Retrieved on August 7, 2014.
- "내친구 해치 (My Friend Haechi) [Original Soundtrack] – Single". iTunes US Apple. Retrieved 2013-03-10.
- "Gaon Chart Search" (in Korean). Gaon Chart.
- "Documentary Shows Top K-Pop Singers Behind the Scenes". Chosun Ilbo. 2 May 2012. Retrieved 4 May 2012.
- Ho, Stewart (7 January 2013). "SNSD’s Jessica-f(x)’s Krystal Siblings Model for Stonehenge". enewsWorld. CJ E&M. Retrieved 12 January 2013.
- SNSD's Jessica and TVXQ's Yunho as Korea's Barbie and Ken 2012
- Girls’ Generation Nominated for ’2012 World Music Awards’ and ’2012 SBS MTV Best of the Best’
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jessica.|