|Birth name||Jessica Sooyoun Jung|
|Also known as||Soo-yeon|
April 18, 1989 |
San Francisco, California, United States
|Occupations||Singer-songwriter, actress, fashion designer|
|Years active||2007 – present|
|Associated acts||SM Town
Girls' Generation (2007–2014)
|Website||SM Town (Girls' Generation)
Blanc & Eclare
Signature of Jessica.
|Revised Romanization||Jeong Suyeon|
|Revised Romanization||Jesika Jeong|
Jessica Sooyoun Jung (Korean name: Jung Soo-yeon; born April 18, 1989) is a Korean American singer-songwriter, actress, fashion designer and former member of the South Korean girl group Girls' Generation. Born and raised in San Francisco, California, she is fluent in both English and Korean after moving to South Korea at the age of 11.
- 1 Biography
- 2 Music career
- 3 Acting career
- 4 Variety show appearances
- 5 Other Ventures
- 6 Discography
- 7 Filmography
- 8 Musical theatre
- 9 Awards and nominations
- 10 References
- 11 External links
Jessica was born in San Francisco, California in the same hospital as her fellow Girls' Generation member Tiffany. While on vacation in South Korea, she and her sister were scouted in a shopping mall by S.M. Entertainment and joined the company in 2000. She spent seven years as a trainee before debuting as part of the Korean girl group Girls' Generation. Jessica attended Korea Kent Foreign School in her teenage years.
Girls' Generation (2007-2014)
In September 2014, Jessica announced on her personal Weibo that she had been dismissed as a member of the group. SM later confirmed this, stating Jessica sometime earlier had informed them that, in order to focus on her personal matters, she will be ceasing from her group's activities, following the release of one more album. After some efforts to work out the situation, however, the company had to change its plan earlier than expected and has now decided to have Girls' Generation continue on as an 8-member group, while Jessica will go forward with her solo career.
Solo singing career
In addition to her group activities, Jessica released two singles with Seohyun and Tiffany: "Love Hate" (Hangul: "오빠 나빠", lit. Bad Older Brother) and "Mabinogi (It's Fantastic!)". Jessica collaborated with 8Eight for the song "I Love You" from their second album, Infinity, which was released on March 3, 2008. She is not the one in the music video, but is the one singing the harmony and adlibs.
In addition, she had various duets — one with Shinee member, Onew, called "One Year Later", and one with Park Myung-soo, "Naengmyeon". She sang the "Seoul Song" with Super Junior's Leeteuk, Sungmin, Donghae, Siwon, Ryeowook and Kyuhyun and fellow group members Taeyeon, Sunny, and Seohyun.
Jessica released a digital single titled "Sweet Delight" on October 13, 2010.
In 2012, Jessica sang "What To Do" (feat. Kim Jin-pyo) for the drama Wild Romance, "Butterfly" (feat Krystal) for To The Beautiful You, "Heart Road" for The King's Dream, as well as "My Lifestyle", a Hyundai i30‘s commercial song.
In 2014, Jessica released "Say Yes"' for Make Your Move featuring her sister, Krystal, and EXO's former member, Kris.
In 2012, Jessica appeared in Wild Romance, playing the role of Kang Jonghee, who is Park Mu-yeol’s unforgettable first love. She had her screentime in approximately eight episodes. In the same year, Jessica returned to musical theatre once again with Legally Blonde, alongside Jung Eun-Ji and Choi Woori. Her first performance was on November 28.
Variety show appearances
In May 2010, Jessica became a regular guest on the show Happy Birthday until she withdrew on June 7, 2010 due to Girls' Generation's overseas activities.
She was also a regular guest on the show Star King with fellow band member Yuri.
2014: OnStyle's Jessica & Krystal
In early April, Jessica and her sister Krystal were announced to have their own reality television show. Jessica & Krystal was premiered on June 3 and consisted of ten episodes. The show featured the daily lives of the sisters.
During one interview segment, the two sisters addressed their public "cold" image together. Jessica explained "The average person thinks of idols' bright images, but my sister and I tend to not have strong expressions. If I'm not so lively, other people could get in a bad mood or misunderstand. I wish they wouldn't think me as rough."
Blanc & Eclare
In August 2014, Jessica launched her own fashion line Blanc, which was described to be a brand of modern-classic items, clean-cut silhouettes, and interesting details inspired by Jessica's own style. Jessica shared, "My dream of establishing Blanc has finally been fulfilled. I am excited to develop a fashion collection and introduce new items and style to the world. Through creative work with other designers and fashion icons, I am learning a lot and I want to consistently continue to share news of the partnership and collaboration that I have going on right now." The brand was later renamed to Blanc & Eclare.
|2007||SBS Thirty Thousand Miles in Search of My Son||"Touch the Sky"||03:49||With Taeyeon, Seohyun, Sunny and Tiffany|
|2008||Roommate||"Love Hate"||03:45||With Seohyun and Tiffany|
|It's Fantastic||"It's Fantastic"||03:40||With Seohyun and Tiffany|
|Infinity||"I Love You"||03:40||With 8eight|
|N/A||"Holding Hands"||03:54||With Tiffany, Super Junior, SS501, Jewelry, Brown Eyed Girls, Lee Hyun and T.G.U.S|
|KBS Hong Gildong OST||"The Little Boat (작은 배)"||03:27||With Taeyeon, Seohyun, Sunny and Tiffany|
|N/A||"Haptic Motion"||01:31||With Taeyeon, Seohyun and Sunny|
|2009||Olympic Duet Song Festival||"NaengMyun"||03:41||With Park Myung-soo|
|Tell Me Your Wish (Genie)||"One Year Later"||04:00||With Onew|
|MBC Heading to the Ground OST||"Motion"||04:06||With Taeyeon, Seohyun, Sunny and Tiffany|
|N/A||"S.E.O.U.L."||03:47||With Taeyeon, Seohyun, Sunny and Kyuhyun, Sungmin, Ryeowook, Donghae and Leeteuk of Super Junior|
|N/A||"I Can't Bear Anymore (Bear Song)"||02:43||With Taeyeon, Seohyun and Sunny|
|2010||Sweet Delight||"Sweet Delight"||03:20||Solo|
|N/A||"Cabi Song"||03:19||With Taeyeon, Tiffany, Seohyun, Sunny, Yuri, Chansung, Junsu, and Taecyeon|
|N/A||"Cooky"||02:50||With Tiffany, Seohyun and Sunny|
|My Friend Haechi||"Haechi Song" (해치송)||03:26||With Taeyeon, Sunny, Tiffany and Seohyun|
|2011||Romance Town||"Because Tears Are Overflowing"||04:46||Solo|
|2012||KBS Wild Romance||"What To Do"||03:54||With Kim Jin-pyo|
|SBS To the Beautiful You||"Butterfly"||03:01||With Krystal|
|KBS The King's Dream||"Heart Road"||04:19||Solo|
|PYL Younique Volume 1||"My Unique Lifestyle"||03:06||With Dok2|
|2013||Dating Agency: Cyrano||"The One Like You"||04:15||Solo|
|2014||Make Your Move 3D||"Say Yes"||03:58||With Krystal and Kris|
|"Cheap Creeper"||03:01||With Taeyeon, Tiffany, Sunny & Seohyun|
|Gaon||Billboard K-pop Hot 100|
|2010||"Sweet Delight"||48||—||Digital Single|
|2011||"Because Tears Are Overflowing"||20||—||KBS Romance Town OST|
|2012||"What To Do" (with Kim Jin-pyo)||12||14||KBS Wild Romance OST|
|"Butterfly" (with Krystal)||22||17||SBS To The Beautiful You OST|
|"Heart Road"||57||43||KBS The King's Dream OST|
|"My Lifestyle" (with Dok2)||34||30||PYL Younique Volume 1|
|2013||"The One Like You"||37||21||tvN Dating Agency: Cyrano OST|
|2012||I AM. – SM Town Live World Tour in Madison Square Garden||Herself||Biographical film of SM Town|
|2008||Unstoppable Marriage||Bulgwang-dong's Seven Princesses Gang||Cameo||KBS2|
|2009||Tae-hee, Hye-kyo, Ji-hyun!||English teacher||Cameo||MBC|
|2010||Oh! My Lady||Herself||Cameo||SBS|
|2012||Wild Romance||Kang Jong-hee||Supporting role||KBS2|
|2014||Jessica & Krystal||1-10||with Krystal, featuring daily activities of the two sisters|
|2009–2010; 2012–2013||Legally Blonde||Elle Woods||Lead role|
Awards and nominations
|2012||3rd Annual Barbie & Ken Awards||Korean Barbie||N/A||Won|
|SBS MTV Best of the Best||Best Cameo||N/A||Nominated|
|2013||7th The Musical Award||Popularity Award||N/A||Won|
|2014||7th Style Icon Awards||Top 10 Style Icons (with Krystal Jung)||N/A||Pending|
- The Birth of Jessica Jung. californiabirthindex.org
- "Win Win Episode 11" (in Korean). Win Win. April 20, 2010. KBS2.
- (Korean) Chosun.com: 제시카, "관객 앞에서의 제 목소리에 감동했어요", February 18, 2009
- SMTown's Official Statement SM Entertainment (September 30, 2014). Retrieved on October 1, 2014.
- SM States that SNSD will Promote as Eight Without Jessica Mwave.interest.me (September 30, 2014). Retrieved on September 30, 2014.
- (Korean) Kim Hyeong-wu. 소녀시대 티파니 “‘오빠나빠’ 활동 당시 성대 결절 고생” (Girls' Generation's Tiffany: "'Bad Older Brother' Activities Were Difficult on Vocal Nodules"). JoongAng Ilbo/Newsen. February 16, 2009. Retrieved February 26, 2010.
- (Korean) 소녀시대 티파니 제시카 서현 게임 주제가 신곡 발표 (Girls' Generation's Tiffany/Jessica/Seohyun Announce Game Theme Song as New Single). IS Plus/Newsen. August 1, 2008. Retrieved May 4, 2010.
- "Jessica and Krystal releases 'Butterfly', an OST of 'To the Beautiful You'". Retrieved 13 October 2014.
- "SNSD Jessica releases 'Heart Road', an OST of 'The Great King's Dream'". Retrieved 13 October 2014.
- "Jessica sings “My Lifestyle” (ft. Dok2) for Hyundai’s ‘PYL Younique Album’". Retrieved 13 October 2014.
- "Girls' Generation's Jessica lends her voice for OST of Sooyoung's starring drama 'Dating Agency: Cyrano'". Retrieved 13 October 2014.
- (English) Chung Ah-young. 'Legally Blonde' Sparkles With Starry Cast. The Korea Times. September 16, 2009. Retrieved February 22, 2010.
- (English) 3 Starts to Share Lead in 'Legally Blonde' Musical. The Chosun Ilbo. October 31, 2009. Retrieved February 22, 2010.
- (Korean) 소녀시대, 최시원과 의리 지키며 '오 마이 레이디'서 카메오 출연 (SNSD Makes Cameo Appearance on "Oh! My Lady", Showing Loyalty to Choi Siwon). asiae/Newsen. March 7, 2010. Retrieved on April 9, 2010
- "Jessica’s Casting in ‘Violent Romance’ Confirmed". Soshified (소시파이드). Retrieved 13 October 2014.
- (Korean) Bae Sunyoung: 제시카 ‘해피 버스데이‘ 5주 출연 끝, 7일 하차 (Jessica, After Five Weeks of Appearances in 'Happy Birthday', Will be Withdrawing on 7th), Newsen.com. June 5, 2010. Retrieved June 6, 2010.
- Jessica and Krystal's reality show Jessica&Krystal. Allkpop.com (April 16, 2014). Retrieved on April 16, 2014.
- Jessica and Krystal shed tears and talk about their complex on their reality program Allkpop.com (June 3, 2014). Retrieved on June 3, 2014.
- Girls' Generation's Jessica announces the launch of her own fashion line 'BLANC' Allkpop.com (August 6, 2014). Retrieved on August 7, 2014.
- "내친구 해치 (My Friend Haechi) [Original Soundtrack] – Single". iTunes US Apple. Retrieved 2013-03-10.
- "Gaon Chart Search" (in Korean). Gaon Chart.
- "Documentary Shows Top K-Pop Singers Behind the Scenes". Chosun Ilbo. 2 May 2012. Retrieved 4 May 2012.
- "SNSD's Jessica and TVXQ's Yunho as Korea's Barbie and Ken 2012". Retrieved 13 October 2014.
- Girls’ Generation Nominated for ’2012 World Music Awards’ and ’2012 SBS MTV Best of the Best’
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jessica Jung.|