Jessica (given name)
|Word/Name||English derived from Hebrew|
|Meaning||Foresighted, Wealthy, "He Sees"|
|Region of origin||Hebrew|
|Popularity||see popular names|
|Look up Jessica in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
The oldest written record of the name with its current spelling is found as the name of a character in Shakespeare's play The Merchant of Venice, where it belongs to the daughter of Shylock. The name may have been an Anglicisation of the Biblical Iskah (from the Hebrew: יִסְכָּה : yiskāh), the name of a daughter of Haran briefly mentioned in the Book of Genesis in the Bible. Iskah was rendered "Jeska" in English Bibles available in Shakespeare's day.
The original Hebrew name Yiskāh (יִסְכָּה), means "foresight", or being able to see the potential in the future. The Hebrew root sakhah (ס.כ.ה) means "to see," so the name Yiskah, with the added yod, implies foresight or clairvoyance. Yiskah is the niece of Abraham.
"Jessica" was the most popular female baby name throughout the 1980s and 1990s in the United States, with popularity waning starting in 1998 through the early 2000s and falling out of the Top 20 by 2004. It also rose to #1 in England and Wales in 2005, dropping to #3 in 2006. Common abbreviations of the name Jessica include "Jess" and "Jessie".
Name variations and nicknames
Jes', Jess, Jessi, Jessa, Jessie, Jas, Jesse (more common for males), Jessy, Jeska, Jessika, Jessicka, Jessyka, Sica, Yessika, Yesika. In many Asian countries Jessica is spelled Jassica.
Variants by culture:
- Arabic: جيسيكا (Ǧysykā)
- Albanian: Xhesika (Jesika)
- Catalan: Jèssica
- Chinese (Mandarin): 潔西卡, 杰西卡（Jiéxīkǎ, jie2 xi1 ka3）
- Finnish: Jessika
- French: Pachy
- Frisian: Jesca
- Gaelic: Seasaidh
- Hindi: जेसिका (Jēsikā)
- Hungarian: Dzsesszika ("Dzsessz": pro. "Jase". Hungarian phoneticisation of "Jazz music").
- Inuktitut: ᔨᔅᓯᑲ (Jissika)
- Italian: Gessica
- Japanese: Jeshika/Jieschika (Hiragana: じぇしか, Katakana: ジェシカ)
- Korean: 제시카 (Jesika)
- Lithuania: Džesika
- Polish: Dżesika, Jesica
- Portuguese: Jéssica/Jessica
- Russian: Джессика (Džéssika)
- Spanish: Yésica, Jésica
- Thai: เจสสิก้า (Ces̄s̄ik̂ā)
Jewish variants & transliterations:
- Hebrew: יִסְכָּה (Iscah)
- Hungarian Yiddish: יִסְכָּה (Jiszká)
- Yiddish: יִסְכָּה (Yiska)
Usage in Scotland
The Scottish variant of Jessie is Seasaìdh/Teasaìdh, (respectively pronounced "SHAY-say" and "CHEH-say"). It is important to note, however, that in Scotland the name Jessie is not related to Jessica. Instead, it is considered a pet form of the name Jean (feminised from John). This is expressed in Gaelic variants as the names Seana (Shawna) or Sìne (Sheena). Related feminine names taken from John are Jane/Joan (Sìne), Janie (Sìneag), and Janet/Janice (Seònaid); all are considered equated, though spelling may change slightly dependent upon what form of Gaelic (Irish or Scottish).
An additional nickname for Jessie, heard in Scotland, is Jinty (or Jinny). This may or may not be the case in Ireland or Northern Ireland. It hints at the connection there to Jean (female given name)/Jane//Jennie.
- Jessica Abel (born 1969), American comic book writer and artist
- Jessica Alba (born 1981), American television and film actress
- Jessica Andrews (born 1983), American country music singer
- Jessica Biel (born 1982), American actress and former model
- Jessica Brown Findlay (born 1989), English actress
- Jessica Burciaga (born 1983), American model
- Jessica Caban (born 1982), American model, dancer and actress
- Jessica Capshaw (born 1976), American actress
- Jessica Chastain (born 1977), American actress
- Jessica Cirio (born 1985), Argentine model
- Jessica Cornish, known as Jessie J (born 1988), British singer-songwriter
- Jessica-Jane Clement (born 1985), is a British glamour model, actress and TV presenter who is best known for starring in the BBC programme The Real Hustle
- Jessica DiCicco (born 1980), American actress
- Jessica Drake (born 1974), American pornographic actress
- Jessica Dubroff (1988–1996), American pilot trainee
- Jessica Deglau (born 1980), olympic swimmers in canada
- Jessica Davenport (born 1985), is a reserve center for the WNBA's Indiana Fever
- Jessica Ennis, British athlete
- Jessica Eye (born 1986), is an American professional female mixed martial artist
- Jessica Eddie (born 1984), Rowing olympics on 2008 to 2012
- Jessica Fodera (Jessicka, born 1975), American musician and artist, singer of Scarling. and Formerly of Jack Off Jill
- Jessica Folcker (born 1975), a Swedish singer
- Jessica Gomes (born 1985), Australian model
- Jessica Harp (born 1982), American country singer-songwriter and guitarist
- Jessica Honor Carleton (born 1983), American entertainer and one of the stars in Green Screen Adventures
- Jessica Hynes (born 1972), British actress, writer and comedienne
- Jessica Iskandar (born 1988), is an Indonesian actress and model
- Jéssica Ibarra (born 1986), Venezuelan beauty pregant winners
- Jessica Iwanson (born 1948), people from stockholm
- Jessica Joseph (born 1982), is an American former ice dancer
- Jessica Jackley (born 1977), is an American businesswoman and entrepreneur
- Jessica Jaymes (born 1979), American pornographic actress
- Jessica Jung (born 1989), US-born Korean pop singer, member of Girls' Generation
- Jessica Kelly Siobhan Reilly (born 1977), English actress
- Jessica Lange (born 1949), American actress
- Jessica Lee Rose (born 1987), American actress
- Jessica Lowndes (born 1988), Canadian actress and singer-songwriter
- Jessica Lu (born 1985), American actress
- Jessica Martin (born 1962), British actress and comedienne
- Jessica Mauboy (born 1989), Australian singer
- Jessica McClure (born 1986), known as "Baby Jessica" when rescued from a well as a toddler
- Jessica Meir, American biologist and underwater diver
- Jessica Mitford (1917–1996), Anglo-American writer
- Jessica Moore (basketball) (born 1982), American basketball player in WNBA for the Indiana Fever
- Jessica Moore (tennis) (born 1990), Australian tennis player
- Jessica Origliasso (born 1984), Australian musician, member of the Veronicas
- Jessica Paré (born 1982), Canadian actress
- Jessica Sula (born 1994), Welsh actress
- Jessica Rossi (born 1992), Italian sport shooter, gold medalist at Summer Olympics 2012
- Jessica Savitch (1947–1983), American TV news reporter
- Jessica Serfaty (born 1990), American model
- Jessica Simpson (born 1980), American pop singer and actress
- Jessica Smith (editor) (born 1895-1983), American editor and activist
- Jessica Stam (born 1986), Canadian model
- Jessica Steinhauser (known as Asia Carrera, born 1973), American former pornographic actress
- Jessica Stroup (born 1986), American actress and model
- Jessica Sutta (born 1982), American dancer and singer, member of the Pussycat Dolls
- Jessica Szohr (born 1985), American actress
- Jessica Tandy (1909–1994), Anglo-American actress
- Jessica Taylor (born 1980), English singer, former member of Liberty X
- Jessica Utts (born 1952), is a statistics professor at the University of California, Irvine and an author of textbooks on statistics.
- Jessica Upshaw (born 1959-2013) was an American politician and lawyer
- Jessica Varnish (born 1990), is a British track cyclist
- Jessica Vetter (born 1985), is a member of the United States women's national ice hockey team.
- Jessica Voorsanger (born 1965), is an american and artist.
- Jessica Walter (born 1941), American actress
- Jessica White (born 1984), American Model
- Jessica Williams (born 1948), is an American pianist and composer
- Jessica Wong (born 1991), is an ice hockey player.
- Jessica Wich (born 1990), is a football striker
- Jessica Wright, is the Assistant Secretary of Defense for Reserve Affairs at the United States Department of Defense
- Jessica Wahls (born 1977), is a german pop singer
- Jessica Yu (born 1966), American Film Director
- Jessica Yellin (born 1971), American Television
- Jessica Zelinka (born 1981), is a Canadian pentathlete
- Jessica Zhu (born 1986), is a Chinese-American pianist
- Jessica Zafra (born 1965), filipino woman writers
- Jessica Buchanan in the American soap opera One Life to Live
- Jessica Drew in the Marvel Comics Universe series Spider-Woman
- Jessica Fletcher in the American television mystery series Murder, She Wrote
- Jessica Glitter from How I Met Your Mother, Robin's childhood best friend and co-star
- Jessica Hamby in the HBO Series "True Blood"
- Jessica Lovejoy of the TV series The Simpsons
- Jessica Stanley In the Twilight Saga written by Stephenie Meyer
- Jessica Rabbit in the Roger Rabbit film-and-novel franchise
- Jessica Sanders of the NBC Sci-Fi Drama Heroes
- Jessica Wakefield of Sweet Valley High and Sweet Valley Twins
- Jessica Ushiromiya, a character from Umineko no Naku Koro ni
- Lady Jessica of the Sci-Fi Dune (franchise)
- Jessi Hollander in the American drama television series Kyle XY
- Jessica Zajicek Kathy Griffin: My Life on the D-List
- Hanks, P. & Hodges, F. A Dictionary of First Names. (1990). Oxford University Press. ISBN 0-19-211651-7.
- Most Popular 1000 Names of the 1980s. Social Security Administration (SSA), United States. Retrieved February 22, 2007.
- Most Popular 1000 Names of the 1990s. Social Security Administration (SSA), United States. Retrieved February 22, 2007.
- Baby Names, England and Wales, 2005. Office for National Statistics (ONS), United Kingdom. Released: 28 July 2011.
- Baby Names, England and Wales, 2006. Office for National Statistics (ONS), United Kingdom. Released: 28 July 2011.
|This page or section lists people that share the same given name. If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change that link to point directly to the intended article.|