February 2, 1983 |
Sierra Vista, Arizona, U.S
|Other names||In Dodowa, Ghana: Ayerkie Dede|
|Education||Bachelor of Science in Psychology|
|Alma mater||University of Arizona|
|Occupation||motivational speaking, keynote speaker|
|Years active||Since November 2005|
|Employer||Jessica Cox Motivational Services|
|Known for||Armless surfing, armless scuba diving, armless Ercoupe pilot, armless Taekwondo|
|Awards||Guinness World Record: The Only Pilot to Fly With Their Feet, US Inspiration Awards for Women 2012: Most Aspirational|
Jessica Cox (born 1983 in Arizona) is the world's first licensed armless pilot, as well as the first armless black-belt in the American Taekwondo Association (she now has two black belts in Taekwondo). She was born without arms due to a rare birth defect. She earned her pilot's license on October 10, 2008, after three years of training, and is qualified to fly a light-sport aircraft to altitudes of 10,000 feet; Jessica Cox flew in a single engine airplane for the first time via Wright Flight. She received her flight training through an Able Flight scholarship and soloed under the instruction of Parrish Traweek. Cox has not used prosthetic arms since she turned 14. Using her feet as most people use their hands, she is able, among other things, to drive a car (she has an unrestricted license and drives a car without modifications), to type on a keyboard (25 words per minute), to pump her own gas, and to put in and remove her Contact lenses. She is also a certified SCUBA diver. Cox holds a Bachelor's degree in psychology from the University of Arizona and works as a motivational speaker and has shared her message in 20 different countries.
Cox is the subject of an upcoming documentary titled "Rightfooted, A Documentary Film About Jessica Cox." The film is directed by Emmy Award winning filmmaker Nick Spark. The documentary chronicles Cox' life, mentorship, humanitarian trips to Ethiopia and the Philippines, as well as her efforts to pass the CRPD in the US Senate.
- Stephen Hawking, theoretical physicist, cosmologist and survivor of ALS.
- Patrick Henry Hughes, musician born blind and unable to fully utilize his limbs.
- Hirotada Ototake, sports writer and survivor of Tetra-amelia syndrome.
- Mile Stojkoski, humanitarian and wheelchair ultramarathon runner.
- Nick Vujicic, motivational speaker and survivor of Tetra-amelia syndrome.
- About Jessica. rightfooted.com. Retrieved on 2011-12-08.
- Jessica Cox has One Pilot's License, Two Black Belts, and Zero Arms.. DisaboomLive. Retrieved on 2011-04-09.
- About Jessica. Right Footed. Retrieved on 2011-04-09.
- Meet world's first armless pilot Jessica Cox | thetelegraph.com.au. Dailytelegraph.com.au (December 9, 2008). Retrieved on 2011-04-09.
- Woman born with no arms becomes first pilot to fly plane using only feet. Telegraph (December 8, 2008). Retrieved on 2011-04-09.
- New feat with her feet: Tucsonan, born minus arms, earns pilot’s license – Tucson Citizen Morgue (1992–2009). Tucsoncitizen.com (December 2, 2008). Retrieved on 2011-04-09.
- Messina | Messina. Tucson Weekly. Retrieved on 2011-04-09.
- Learning to Scuba Dive Regardless of Disability Status | Inclusive Fitness Jessica cox flies the airplane with both feet Coalition. Incfit.org (February 3, 2010). Retrieved on 2011-04-09.
- RIGHTFOOTED A Documentary. www.rightfootedmovie.com. Retrieved on 2014-04-23.
- "Rightfooted Blog". Retrieved April 23, 2014.