||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2013)|
||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification, as it includes attribution to IMDb. (September 2011)|
June 28, 1965 |
Princeton, New Jersey, U.S.
(m.1995-present; 2 children)
Jessica Hecht (born June 28, 1965) is an American actress and singer, known for numerous Broadway appearances and TV roles.
Early life and education
Hecht was born in Princeton, New Jersey, the daughter of Lenore, a psychotherapist, and Richard Hecht, a physicist. Jessica moved with her parents and her sister to Bloomfield, CT, at the age of three. Following the divorce of her parents, her mother remarried when Jessica was twelve and she and her sister Elizabeth, fourteen, were brought up by her mother and her step-father Howard Iger, a psychiatrist, who had custody of his two young children Andrea age five and Russell age 3. The new family grew quite close and Jessica had the support of all three parents as she struggled to become an actress.
Hecht has made appearances in television shows such as Lois & Clark, ER, Seinfeld, Friends, Once and Again, Law & Order, Breaking Bad, Bored to Death and The Good Wife; and in movies such as Sideways, Anarchy TV, and Kicking and Screaming. Hecht is perhaps best known for her recurring role on Friends as Susan Bunch, the lesbian life partner of Ross Geller's ex-wife, Carol Willick.
Hecht starred in a supporting role as Amy Burns in the 2007 comedy-drama Dan in Real Life, co-starring with Steve Carell and Juliette Binoche, and also in 2009's Whatever Works directed by Woody Allen.
In 2012 she performed on Broadway with Jim Parsons (of The Big Bang Theory) in Harvey. Hecht also appeared in A View From The Bridge on Broadway with Scarlett Johansson and Liev Schrieber, which wrapped on April 4, 2010. She also had a semi-recurring role as Gretchen Schwartz on the popular AMC drama series Breaking Bad, and appeared in a guest role on Desperate Housewives in 2011.
She has been married to Adam Bernstein, a film director, since 1995. They have two children together, Stella and Carlo Bernstein. Hecht was raised in a "pretty secular" Jewish household; she has stated that she is "Reconstructionist Jewish and I’m fairly spiritual".
- Jessica Hecht Biography (1965-)
- (21 May 2010). Jessica Hecht Buys Flat in Landmark Building, The New York Times
- Kolson, Ann (28 September 1997). Up & Coming: Jessica Hecht; Working All the Time Is Her Idea of Fun, The New York Times
- Keveney, Bill (1 February 1996). Jessica Hecht's Got Double Vision, Star-News
- Isherwood, Charles (2012-06-14). "Hope Is a Thing With Long, Fuzzy Ears: ‘Harvey,’ With Jim Parsons, at Studio 54". New York Times.
- (19 August 2011). Jessica Hecht to Guest Star on DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES, Broadway World
- Jessica Hecht at the Internet Movie Database
- Jessica Hecht Discusses Breaking Bad at AMCtv.com
- Jessica Hecht at the Williamstown Theater Festival