Jessica Kagan Cushman
|Jessica Kagan Cushman|
Cushman wearing her bracelets in 2008.
April 7, 1958
New York, NY
|Spouse(s)||Bill Cushman (m. 1980)|
Cushman was born on April 7, 1958 in New York City. Her father, Vladimir Kagan, is a German-born furniture designer considered an early pioneer of modern American design. Her mother, Erica Wilson, was an innovative British embroidery designer who was known as “the Julia Child of needlework.” Cushman graduated from Smith College with a BA in Art History. She resides in Redding, Connecticut, with her husband Bill Cushman.
Jewelry and accessories
After learning scrimshaw from her father and embroidery from her mother, Cushman went into business in 2004, starting out with hand-engraved bracelets. She has since expanded her line to include necklaces, rings, earrings and other accessories. Her items have been featured on the cover of Cosmopolitan, and in numerous other magazines, such as Vogue (UK), Elle, People and InStyle.
In 2007, Cushman began hand-engraving fossilized woolly mammoth tusk bangles with whimsical pop culture sayings. Barneys New York was the first store to offer the line. Cushman then began manufacturing a more affordable resin reproduction version. Two years later, Cushman introduced a line of tote bags inscribed with similar phrases, as well as cuffs featuring zodiac constellations in crystals on black resin.
- Patricia Sheridan, “Nantucket bracelets have a lot to say,” Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, July 3, 2012.
- Beverley Rider, “Vladimir Kagan’s Comeback Couch,” Wall Street Journal, April 30, 2009.
- Margalit Fox, “Erica Wilson Dies at 83; Led a Rebirth of Needleworking,” New York Times, December 13, 2011.
- “Jessica Kagan Cushman,” StyledOn.com. Accessed August 15, 2012.
- Alena Hall, "7 People Who Turned This 'Worthless' College Major Into Successful Careers," Huffington Post, February 26, 2014.
- “Wrist Management,” Connecticut Magazine, January 2009.
- "Jessica Kagan Becomes Bride of Executive," New York Times, December 7, 1980.
- Cosmopolitan, May 2011; Cosmopolitan, July 2011.
- Ally Pyle, “Slogan Kitsch,” Vogue (UK), March 31, 2008.
- Anne Slowey, “Fashion News: Jessica Kagan Cushman Totes,” Elle, November 2009.
- “Tote-ally Chic,” People, July 18, 2012.
- “Shopping With the Stars,” InStyle, Holiday 2007.
- Ellen Tien, “Read My Wrist,” New York Times, March 11, 2007.
- “A Quotable Tote-Able,” Style.com, May 13, 2009.
- Doria Santlofer, “It’s a Sign,” New York, May 11, 2009.
- Marc Karimzadeh, “Fashion Group International Names Rising Star Finalists,” Women’s Wear Daily, January 3, 2012.